Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
Lets hope so, for Kia's sake. My guess is that they will not be very happy to have two years in a row of declining sales.
I think it would be theee straight years in a row for declining sales. We will see.
Old 01-14-18, 03:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
congrats on the car, i am sure that KIA will be at least decently reliable.

How much would you like the vehicle if it had 200hp engine?
I wouldn't have bought a 4 cyl Stinger. I wanted to get a a single vehicle usable all year round that was a viable replacement to the RC F's power and the IS's sedan + AWD practicality.
Old 01-14-18, 04:46 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think it would be theee straight years in a row for declining sales. We will see.
Hyundai as well. In domestic sales it declined 27% or something compared to 2016. Their plant in Korea is hit by union strike
beginning of this year. Hyundai has sudden acceleration problem which so far killed quite a number of people, In one case
air bag did not deploy killing the driver in an accident in Korea.

What is the crash test result of GT90 by IIHS? Anyone has any info on structural strength of the body, how many layers of paint?
what is the weight of the GT90? If I were buying the GT90, I'd wait for a year or so just to be sure.

Last edited by Htony; 01-14-18 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 05:05 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
What is the crash test result of GT90 by IIHS? Anyone has any info on structural strength of the body, how many layers of paint?
what is the weight of the GT90? If I were buying the GT90, I'd wait for a year or so just to be sure.
Quote from the Car Connection:
Unlike many large luxury sedans, the 2018 Genesis G90 has been crash-tested—and the results are impressive. The IIHS awards the lineup its Top Safety Pick+ rating.
Old 01-14-18, 05:16 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Hyundai as well. In domestic sales it declined 27% or something compared to 2016. Their plant in Korea is hit by union strike
beginning of this year. Hyundai has sudden acceleration problem which so far killed quite a number of people, In one case
air bag did not deploy killing the driver in an accident in Korea.

I thought this was the Stinger GT AWD thread, not the G90 thread. Not to mention it's a new owner's impressions of his vehicle. There is another new owner of an LS posting a thread and he's getting congratulations and also mentions that critiques of styling etc should be limited to those threads of the new LS vs old LS. There is an existing G90 thread here too, but obviously Genesis has people talking and of course opposing - that's probably all they wanted anyways.
Old 01-14-18, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
I thought this was the Stinger GT AWD thread, not the G90 thread. Not to mention it's a new owner's impressions of his vehicle. There is another new owner of an LS posting a thread and he's getting congratulations and also mentions that critiques of styling etc should be limited to those threads of the new LS vs old LS. There is an existing G90 thread here too, but obviously Genesis has people talking and of course opposing - that's probably all they wanted anyways.
He said GT90, not G90.....although it is unclear just what that designation means.

Was that a typo, Htony?...the last official GT90 designation was used for the Ford GT.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-14-18 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 05:44 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
He said GT90, not G90.....although it is unclear just what that designation means.

Was that a typo, Htony?...the last official GT90 designation was used for the Ford GT.
Lol. Now I know you're just fooling around. Post #64 in this thread. But yeah, it helps to get things right if you're criticizing a specific car. I just thought that this thread was about owner experience of a very new model and it would be updated as time went on. All the other stuff about market image, branding and discussion about other stuff is unrelated and unnecessary. There's another thread here for that.
Old 01-14-18, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Lol. Now I know you're just fooling around. Post #64 in this thread. But yeah, it helps to get things right if you're criticizing a specific car.
Hard to tell sometimes. The alphabet-soup (and letter/number combos) in the auto business is complex enough that it is easy to get confused sometimes. I see lots of typos......and occasionally make one myself.

I just thought that this thread was about owner experience of a very new model and it would be updated as time went on. All the other stuff about market image, branding and discussion about other stuff is unrelated and unnecessary. There's another thread here for that.
Usually, if we get too far of-topic in that area, Dave or one of the mods will step in. Sometimes, issues like market-image and branding are actually part of the buying and decision experience (not so much for me, but many buyers).
Old 01-14-18, 05:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Lol. Now I know you're just fooling around. Post #64 in this thread. But yeah, it helps to get things right if you're criticizing a specific car. I just thought that this thread was about owner experience of a very new model and it would be updated as time went on. All the other stuff about market image, branding and discussion about other stuff is unrelated and unnecessary. There's another thread here for that.
Disagree. It is all very relevant in the context. I think one needs to view the KIA brand as a whole when discussing the Stinger.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-14-18 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 06:05 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Disagree. It is all very relevant in the context. I think one needs to view the KIA brand as a whole when discussing the Stinger.
Then what's wrong with posting in these threads that discuss the Stinger, Genesis in broader terms including a new model, Kia image/baggage or the G90?

Here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...a-stinger.html,
or here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-are-here.html
or here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...0-reviews.html
Old 03-13-18, 10:47 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52020
Old 04-07-18, 12:24 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by XBROKER
I finally got a chance to drive one last week. The bumble bee version, limited edition AWD twin turbo 6. Props to KIA for bringing more enticing options into our market. I thought long term it would be a pain to get in & out of. The interior isn't as roomy and the stereo isn't as good as my ES. The weight to HP ratio isn't that much better either. Though, I admit, the speed got my heart going a bit. Probably cause I don't routinely floor my ES. The ride is better than I expected.

It already has its niche I think in the U.S., so it doesn't matter what old men think. t's just not for me. I'm sure used versions will sell like hot cakes to the fan boy market. Let's see those resale values in 3 years.
Really? The ES350 is somewhere above 13 lb/hp and the Stinger is less than 10 lb/hp. In performance terms that is a lot. The torque to weight difference is huge. The 4 cyl Stinger is closer to the ES350 in performance. The ES is a great car (I have owned 2) but is a whole different animal than the Stinger. Fortunately, there are buyers for each type.
Old 04-07-18, 01:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Really? The ES350 is somewhere above 13 lb/hp and the Stinger is less than 10 lb/hp. In performance terms that is a lot. The torque to weight difference is huge. The 4 cyl Stinger is closer to the ES350 in performance. The ES is a great car (I have owned 2) but is a whole different animal than the Stinger. Fortunately, there are buyers for each type.
Amen to both of these comments.
Old 04-07-18, 01:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Comparing the Stinger to the ES doesn’t make any sense at all.
Old 04-07-18, 01:57 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by XBROKER
Try again. Stinger that I drove is 11.02 lbs per HP.
2013 Lexus ES 350 weight per unit of HP is 12.12.
Nice try..
The ES does not weigh 3,248lbs.

I agree with the others. Trying to compare the Stinger to the ES is ridiculous!

Quick Reply: Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi