Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2018 Kia Stinger

Per request of several CL members, a Review of the all-new 2018 Kia Stinger.

https://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/stinger/2018/overview

IN A NUTSHELL: The first serious Korean American-market entry into RWD/AWD sport-sedan territory.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: BMW 3-series, Audi A4/S4, Infiniti Q50, Lexus IS300/350, Dodge Charger, Nissan Maxima*, Mercedes C300/350, Ford Fusion Sport, Ford Taurus SHO, Chevrolet SS, Volvo S60

*The Maxima is a rather loose competitor, on the borderline.

OVERVIEW:

It's no secret that BMW dominated the sport-sedan ratings in the enthusiast-magazines for many years, although recently, other brands have been catching up. Not only that, but BMW itself, for several reasons, in general, except for the M-versions, has been producing generally less-aggressively tuned vehicles than in the past, with less-tactile and less-sensitive power steering. And, some BMW dealerships (fortunately, not all) also drove away a number of customers (and potential customers) with their typically German aristocratic and snooty attitudes...other shops were somewhat more friendly to those who walked into their showrooms. Audi, in particular, has taken over a significant portion of what once went to the BMW sport-sedan market.....as has Mercedes, although the Mercedes AMG models can often be prohibitively expensive, more so than the BMW Ms and the Audi S and RS models.

The Koreans, of course, though expanding enormously in the sedan, SUV, hybrid, and luxury-car areas (even creating an all-new Genesis luxury division last year), have generally stayed out of the truly high-performance arena, preferring instead, at least in the American market, to spend their resources on bread-and-butter vehicles and massive quality-improvements. That decision, IMO (and also in the opinions of many others) resulted in a huge increase in their market share. Hyundai did introduce a former Hyundai Genesis Coupe, which, to some extent, filled the sporting role (I go into that a little more just below)...but it did not sell in very high numbers, perhaps due to its unimpressive interior.

Although the Genesis G70 sport-sedan is currently on the docket, and we will see it before very long (I hope to see it at the upcoming D.C. Auto Show in late January), the new Stinger, just starting to drive at dealerships, is the first serious Korean-designed, American-market entry into the rear-drive sport-sedan segment. The also-capable (former) rear-drive Hyundai Genesis Coupe was a true coupe, with two doors. I did a review on the 1Gen Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L Track model, and was amazed at how much it felt and drove like the BMW 3-series of that period.....that car, except for a slightly stiff ride, was a joy to drive with some gusto. But it was a coupe....not a four-door sports-sedan. According to Wiki, the new Stinger is derived from the same RWD platform as the former Hyundai Genesis sedan/Genesis G80, Kia K9/K900, and the upcoming Genesis G70. So, blame them if that info is wrong, not me LOL.

Five different versions of the Stinger are offered....Base 2.0L ($31,900), Premium ($37,100), GT ($38,350), GT1 ($43,250), and GT2 ($49,200)....so, you can see that it's a significant price-jump between all except the Premium-to-GT level. 2.0L and Premium versions (as the name suggests) get an in-line twin-scroll turbocharged 2.0L four of 255 HP and 260 ft-lbs. of torque. All of the GT versions get a twin-turbo 3.3L V6 of 365 HP and 376 ft-lbs. of torque. All versions get a 8-speed Sport-shift automatic....strange that there is no manual option on a car this heavily sport-oriented, even though true 3-pedal manuals get harder and harder to find each year. Top-line GT2 versions get a limited-slip differential for more aggressive cornering and better traction in the wet. All versions, regardless of engine, come with a choice of RWD or AWD.....IMO a good marketing plus.

As usual, I checked out a couple of different versions of the Stinger for the interior/static review. Originally, I was going to do a test-drive of the upmarket GT version, with the twin-turbo V6 and AWD. But, since CorradoMR2, one of our well-respected members, just bought an AWD GT (Congratulations, Corrado), and gave us his owner-report, and, since there are already a number of reviews of the upmarket versions on-line, YouTube, and in auto magazines, I thought I'd try out a base model, with the turbo four and RWD, and see what Kia was offering for a low-30s price. Auto enthusiast publications often tend to neglect base models when they do their tests, so I figured I'd take up the slack and do a write-up myself. I chose a black/black-interior base version for the test-drive. As with almost every new Hyundai/Kia product I've sampled lately, I wasn't disappointed. Details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2018 Kia Stinger 2.0L

BASE PRICE: $31,900

OPTIONS:

Cargo Net: $50

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $900 (maybe slightly more than average for a vehicle this size)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $32,850

DRIVETRAIN: RWD, longitudinally-mounted turbocharged 2.0L in-line four, 255 HP @ 6200 RPM, Torque 260 Ft-lbs. @ 1400-4000 RPM, 8-speed automatic Sport-Shift transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 22 City, 29 Highway, 25 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Aurora Black Pearl

INTERIOR: Black Leather

PLUSSES (+) :

Quick, sport-oriented steering response.

Smooth and reasonably powerful turbo 2.0L drivetrain.

Twin-turbo 3.3L V6 outperforms some more expensive competitors.

Reasonably good noise/sound insulation except for some road noise.

Tank-like body/door construction by today's standards.

Bank-vault-like door closings.

Good underhood layout and access.

Excellent quality paint job, even in black, which is unusual.

(Mostly) rock-solid hardware and materials inside and out.

Nice-sounding stereo.

The usual excellent Hyundai/Kia 10/100 drivetrain and 5/60 bumper-to-bumper warranty, though the full 10/100 part is
transferable only to subsequent owners in the immediate family.

MINUSES (-) :

No manual transmission option in a heavily-sport-oriented vehicle.

Economy-car plainness in the dash-trim and general interior decor.

Stingy paint color choices, especially on base models.

Only one interior color on base models.

Some road noise on coarse surfaces.

Relatively low stance to the ground makes entry/exit a stretch for large or tall persons.

Interior space efficiency, headroom, and rear legroom not the best.

Tacky-looking (IMO) center-dash video screen.

Loaded GT2 versions can be pricey, especially by Kia standards.

EXTERIOR:

The Stinger, of course, is immediately recognized as a member of the Kia family by the slant-back headlights and "Tiger" grille scheme....which has become Kia's trademark look. Up front, and as far as the back doors, it is somewhat reminiscent of the Optima family-sedan (it is done on a different, RWD platform to the Optima's FWD)....but the roofline, lower-stance, and trunk-lid are distinctly different. The classic low-stance of the Stinger (though not quite as low as a roadster or pure sports-car) makes it not an ideal car for large, tall, or aging people to easily get in or out. Neither does the headroom inside.....but we'll get to that later. Workmanship and hardware outside, even with some vinyl and plastic trim-parts, are first-rate....it is astounding how far Kia has come from the junk they built 20 years ago, when Kia and Hyundai were the butt-jokes of the industry. In the rear, on the lower end of the rear bumper, are smart-looking quad-exhaust-tips....from real, not fake, dual exhausts.

Not all outside, however, is a silk purse. The exterior paint-color choice, IMO, is awful, especially in the base version...only white/black/silver. Premiums also get a blue. GT versions add red and gray. Heck, my brother's Kia Sportage, a bread-and-butter small SUV, offers a better color choice than that...he has a nice copper, with tan leather inside with gold striping. So, if the company can do that in the 25-35K range, why not on a (potentially) 50K sport-sedan? Bean-counters in the auto industry ever cease to amaze me....though with Kia, at least they don't seem to skimp on material-quality like some manufacturers do. The quality of the paint job itself, however, borders on superb...even the (often) hard-to-do Black has almost no orange peel.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the hood, and you are greeted with nice gas struts to hold up the hood instead of a cheap manual prop-rod. The 2.0L turbo in-line four, mounted longitudinally, fits in very well, with plenty of room to spare in front of the engine, due to the car's relatively long nose, which gives a lot of fore-aft space in the engine compartment.As with other classic sport-oriented vehicles, two very solid, brushed-metal (light gray), cross-chassis braces, in an inverted "V shape", provide added frame-stiffness in the front end for suspension/handling responsiveness. There is plenty of room to work on a number of engine components, though one must remove the large plastic engine cover to reach some of the top-components. All of the dipsticks, fluid-reservoirs, and filler-caps are generally easily to get to, though, for shorter persons, it might require a little stretch back down the relatively long nose if you want to reach something in back near the firewall.

INTERIOR:

Inside, the hardware and trim quality, except for some shiny black-plastic trim around the console-shifter, is as good, if not better, than that found outside....Kia likes to use solid materials. The overall look/style on the dash, though, is somewhat of an entry-level car, though...the Audi A3, in particular, comes to mind, with the plain-looking panel, round air-vents, and tacked-on housing for the video-screen. This is not surprising, though, whence remembers that Kia hired Peter Schrayer away from Audi as Chief Stylist. But, if one can get past the entry-level look of the trim and decor, one will be rewarded with some excellent materials. First, ALL versions, even the base model, come with leather (yes, true leather, not vinyl or leatherette) on the seats, and the 2.0 Premium version I first looked at also had leather covering much of the interior door panels. The sharply-bolstered seats (as with a number of sport-oriented vehicles), at first, looked to me like they would be too narrow for my not-so-narrow frame and butt. Pleasantly, though, that was not the case. The seat-padding itself, in the Kia/Hyundai tradition (and that of some Japanese makes) was a little firm for my tastes (remember, I'm used to soft Buick seats), but the contour of the seat itself fit my somewhat portly frame perfectly (that was a real surprise). Not to get too far off-topic, but that's one reason I didn't test-drive the Alfa Romeo 4C...for me, the 4C's seats were like an interrogation chamber down at Guantanamo's prisoner-facility. The buttons/controls, in the usual Kia/Hyundai style, were well-laid out, easy to operate, and felt and operated like they were installed by Swiss watch-makers. The gauges were like those in older BMWs....analog, simple, clear, and uncluttered. One thing I particularly liked (and, for some odd reason, you don't see much anymore) is, on the non-Metric U.S. versions, the Stinger's speedometer is marked in 10-MPH increments (10, 20, 30, 40, etc...) instead of the usual 20, 40, 60, etc....., which, IMO, makes it easier to read at a glance. Of course, digital readouts can also often be programmed in, if desired, on today's cars. The standard stereo sounded quite well for the price, but some versions come with an upmarket harmon-Kardon unit.

Of course, there are also a few problems inside....no vehicle is perfect. The car's low stance, as stated earlier, is not the best for aging legs, arms, and backs to get in or out of....but I've seen lots worse. The center-dash video screen's stick-up-mount looks tacky and haphazard. The shiny black-piano-plastic around the shifter on the console could be improved. The base 2.0L version comes in only one interior color...Black (I'm not a fan of all-black interiors....if I wanted an atmosphere like that, I'd have worked in a coal mine LOL). The low roofline is also not very good for interior headroom, particularly wth the sunroof housing. Legroom in the rear seat is also somewhat compromised by the car's RWD layout and generally lower level of interior space efficiency compared to FWD vehicles.....so, in most cases, don't ask LeBron James or Shaq O'Neill to ride back there. And, typical of vehicles wth rooflines and trunk-lids like this, outward visibility to the rear is not particularly good....which is, at least, to some extent, compensated for by the standard back-up cameras in today's cars.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Open the solid-feeling hatch lid, and the cargo area is reasonably well-trimmed, though the black fuzz-material on the walls and floor does not feel particularly nice or soft. The car's low stance and low, steeply-raked roofline take away some of the vertical cargo space, but it is generally roomy from a side-to-side and front-to-back direction for this size car. A nice, well-made cargo pull-shade (some of them, such as in the Prius, can be quite flimsy) hides the cargo from prying eyes. The usual cargo net and all-weather vinyl floor mat are available as options....most of the cars in stock will probably have them. Under the trunk floor are the jacking tools and a full-size temporary spare tire. (I used to complain about not having a real spare tire/wheel any more in most of today's vehicles, but it's done little or no good...the auto companies seem determined to force temporaries, donuts, run-flats, and compressed-air bottles on us, so, it looks like we're just stuck with them, except for dedicated off-road vehicles).

ON THE ROAD:

Start it up with the almost-universal button found nowadays (to its credit, the aluminum-feel button seemed a lot more solid than the plastic one in my Lacrosse), and the 2.0L turbo four starts right up and idles with a fair amount of refinement....long-gone are the days when Kia fours sounded and ran like washing machines. The 2.0L, of course, lacked the muscle-car torque of the big twin-turbo V6 (I didn't need to test-drive the GT V6 version, of course, to know that)...but its 255 HP and 260 ft-lbs. of torque (the same engine, BTW, that is in my brother's Sportage SX turbo) will definitely get out of its own way, especially in the Sport mode. And, of course, with the RWD of my test-car, it has less weight and drag than the same power plant with the (available) AWD option. The engine, on the road, remains reasonably refined...though, of course not like a Lexus LS or Mercedes S-class. The 8-speed automatic shifts smoothly, whether in manual or full-auto mode, and the solid, slick shifter feels and operates like butter. Ride comfort tends to vary with the Drive-Mode setting, but, in general, is on the moderately firm side, as expected in a sport-oriented vehicle of this type. The Drive-Mode settings (and available customization of each) are actually quite complex......instead of trying to explain it all here (I'd practically have to write a book), I'm going to do something I don't usually do on a review, and insert a little You-Tube video-explanation that actually covers it in detail.

Steering response is quick and accurate in any mode, but especially in Sport, where it borders on being darty, like a Mazda Miata. Body lean is....well, about what you'd expect....almost none. Wind noise is well-suppressed....probably a result of the solid, well-built door/windows and insulation materials. Road noise is fairly quiet on smooth pavement, but rises noticeably on porous surfaces.....probably because of the sport-oriented, high-performance tires. The brakes are quite effective (Brembo brakes come standard on the V6 models, but not with the four), and the pedal-placement/rim, unlike in some cars, does not interfere with my big Mens' size-15 circus-clown shoes going from gas to brake and monetarily catching on the rim of the brake pedal.

THE VERDICT:

To use a well-known cliche from some other auto ads.....This is not your Father's Kia. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Between the 1990s and 2010s, Kia went from producing some of the worst vehicles for one's money to some of the best. Of course, Kia prices have gone up, too, as quality, nowadays, does not come cheap, and the days of really cheap cookie-cutter Kias are long gone. Still, the company has relatively good prices, and the (just under) 33K list of my test car, IMO, was quite reasonable for what you get. J.D. Power ranks Kia #1 among all brands in Initial Quality (the way the cars actually come out of the factory)...and I cannot say I disagree....although, from what I've seen, Hondas, Opel-based Buicks, and some Lexus products also rank very high on that list. Under the skin, though, Hondas are suffering some long-term reliability issues now, after the initial high-quality experience from the factory is over.....the company no longer seems to be a reliability standout in that area.

And, for those of you who like the basic idea of the Stinger, but want something a little nicer inside or more upscale, hold on and don't sign for a Stinger just yet. A nicer version of the Stinger will soon be sold by Genesis dealers as the G70. Except for pictures/images, I haven't personally seen it or test-driven it (I hope to see one at the upcoming D.C. Auto Show in a couple of weeks). It will, of course, join the larger G80 and G90 sedans, and will essentially be a Korean BMW 3-series. I'm definitely looking forward to that review.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-12-18 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 08:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Thanks for the review, I totally missed previously that there was no manual. Because of that, we had to chop you. As they say, nein danke.

Fun fact, new Freightliners do not have a manual option, and they do the same, hype on the DD16 15.6l motor etc. Lazification of a society! lol
Old 01-12-18, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Thanks for the review,
Glad you enjoyed it.

Once agan....apologize for the image-delays. CL changed the loading-software some time ago, and loading them can be tricky.

I totally missed previously that there was no manual. Because of that, we had to chop you. As they say, nein danke.
Unfortunately, the Stinger is not alone in that department. Traditional three-pedal manuals are slowly and quietly becoming extinct, even in some sport-oriented cars. The last car I drove that had one was the Mazda Miata review I did some time ago.
Old 01-12-18, 08:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

It looks like a very nice car....I suppose in the defense of the mfg., they cannot produce something that they can't sell, doesn't make financial sense.....and when a brand new big rig no longer comes with a manual, maybe the fat lady has sung....I like the engine bay and the rear left, the car reminds me of a Panamara.....
Old 01-12-18, 10:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

nice that it has big strut braces.

looks like a fun car, but a bit too cramped for me.
Old 01-12-18, 10:13 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

damn kia is stepping their game up.. Looks like a nice car and the price isnt to bad either.
Old 01-12-18, 12:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks for the review, hope you do one of the 6 cylinder though as that is the car most of us are interested in.
Old 01-12-18, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Thanks for the review, hope you do one of the 6 cylinder though as that is the car most of us are interested in.
I'll consider a V6 test-drive, but I didn't think it necessary since corradoMR2 just bought one and gave us a nice owner-report. I think the four itself will sell decently...it has a lower price, and a reasonable amount of power.
Old 01-12-18, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
damn kia is stepping their game up.. .
Kia's been stepping their game up for fifteen years.
Old 01-12-18, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews: 2018 Ford EcoSport, Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon, and (per request) Buick Regal GS V6 AWD.

I'm really looking forward to the EcoSport review....that is going to be interesting. And, if Ford does what they usually do at the D.C. auto show in a couple of weeks, they will be signing up showgoers, once again, for $50 pre-paid gift-cards for test-drives. I get one every year, of course, and use it at Starbucks for their French Roast (my favorite coffee), which I brew at home.

We'll have to wait and see how the EcoSport does in the actual market place, but, given its low price, design, size, space-efficiency, economy, and available AWD for bad weather, Folks, I think we may have a real success here. I can think of at least half a dozen people in my own life for whom this would probably be the perfect (or close to perfect) vehicle....though I may (?) have some misgivings about the base 1.0L turbo-three engine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-12-18 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 04:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice that it has big strut braces.
You mean the structural V-shaped braces that add stiffness to the front end, right?....not the gas struts that hold up the hood. Cross-brace struts like that are common in sports-oriented sedans/coupes and sports-cars....and, of course, they are especially handy with convertibles, which can have cowl-flex.

looks like a fun car, but a bit too cramped for me.
I think there's probably enough room in the front seat for your 6' 3" frame....after all, you got into and out of a Miata regularly. I'm only a inch shorter than you (though my hat adds a little LOL), and i have more then enough room for legs.....though I tend to sit with the drivers' seat up a little closer than some people my size do. I like to have my knees bent some and the steering wheel fairly close.....just far enough away for air-bag protection. In the back, though, legroom is definitely compromised for either of us, as is headroom...this is not a Suburban LOL.
Old 01-12-18, 08:10 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front looks nice but side and rear looks SO UGLY.
Old 01-12-18, 09:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Very nice and informative review. It's a pleasure to see a car company pretty much start from the bottom, grow, and come up with a car that is likely going to be quite successful. It's not everyday we can bring up a story like that. In my opinion, Kia and Hyundai have both earned their seat with the top players, fair and square.
One thing, you listed the 3.3 engine twice.
Old 01-12-18, 09:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Very nice and informative review. It's a pleasure to see a car company pretty much start from the bottom, grow, and come up with a car that is likely going to be quite successful. It's not everyday we can bring up a story like that. In my opinion, Kia and Hyundai have both earned their seat with the top players, fair and square.
Thanks. I was going to drive the V6 (GT) AWD model, but since Corrado picked one up for himself, I figured I'd let him do the honors of the write-up....I'd stick to the four.

One thing, you listed the 3.3 engine twice.
OK, I see what you mean....in the PLUSSES section. Good catch. Thanks...that was a typo that happened when I was copying/cutting and re-spacing. I corrected it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-12-18 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 09:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The four is worthy and glad you reviewed it.
Check under the "pluses."

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2018 Kia Stinger