Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX vs LS Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 08:11 AM
ZoomBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX vs LS Reliability

Hi guys, first post here - long time lurker. Upgrading from my 2003 Civic SiR (Canadian vehicle) to a pre-owned Lexus. Doing my due-diligence with researching reliability, common flaws, etc. but wanted to hear this communities input.

What do you think is a more reliable used vehicle choice? Assuming same age and same mileage:
  • 2007 Lexus LS around 150,000 km
    OR
  • 2007 Lexus GX around 150,000 km

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.
Old 12-21-17, 08:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Durability or reliability. I would say they are both reliable equal . But my guess is that the GX is more durable and will last longer.
Old 12-21-17, 10:13 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The 2007 GX should outlive the 2007 LS. The 1st gen GX470 used the bulletproof 4.7L cast iron V8, and some stronger grade interior materials (compared to the 2010 2nd gen GX IMO - more plastic). The 2007 LS is the first model year 4th gen and prone to teething issues, not to mention one of the first L-Finesse Lexus's which while they were suave and elegant, notorious for cost-cutting. $0.02
Old 12-21-17, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL.

The GX is more solidly built.....no question about it.
Old 12-21-17, 01:28 PM
ZoomBoy
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, thanks so much for the input! Much appreciated.
Old 12-21-17, 11:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I see you are in Ontario. I'd be really diligent about checking under that GX for rust issues, especially the frame. I know Tacomas had a recall on the frame due to rust, but the GX is made in a different factory and I don't think it suffers from frame rust issues quite as bad.

Still it seems that newer body on frame trucks tend to rust faster than newer unibody cars IMO.
Old 12-22-17, 03:24 AM
ZoomBoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I see you are in Ontario. I'd be really diligent about checking under that GX for rust issues, especially the frame. I know Tacomas had a recall on the frame due to rust, but the GX is made in a different factory and I don't think it suffers from frame rust issues quite as bad.

Still it seems that newer body on frame trucks tend to rust faster than newer unibody cars IMO.
Thanks, I'll definitely have a look!
Old 12-22-17, 09:26 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess would be that the LS is more reliable and its not even close. Its the FLAGSHIP of Lexus so it gets more love im assuming.
Old 12-22-17, 10:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
My guess would be that the LS is more reliable and its not even close. Its the FLAGSHIP of Lexus so it gets more love im assuming.
I think you'd be surprised. The Lexus GX is basically a Toyota Prado with a fancy interior and a V8. If you don't know what a Prado is, its the entry level truck in the Land Cruiser family. The Prado is sold/marketed towards places in Africa, South America, the Middle east, India, southeast Asia that have **** roads/no roads, areas that are very remote.

Part of the reason the Prado is so successful in those markets is its a very reliable, rugged, well built truck that won't leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere where there are highway bandits, militias, and all kinds of bad guys who would rob/kidnap/murder the guy who's Land Rover broke down on the side of the road.
Old 12-23-17, 06:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think you'd be surprised. The Lexus GX is basically a Toyota Prado with a fancy interior and a V8. If you don't know what a Prado is, its the entry level truck in the Land Cruiser family. The Prado is sold/marketed towards places in Africa, South America, the Middle east, India, southeast Asia that have **** roads/no roads, areas that are very remote.

Part of the reason the Prado is so successful in those markets is its a very reliable, rugged, well built truck that won't leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere where there are highway bandits, militias, and all kinds of bad guys who would rob/kidnap/murder the guy who's Land Rover broke down on the side of the road.
Hard to believe that Toyota would dial back the reliability on a LS vs GX. I said a GX would like be more durable as it s just built a little different.
Old 12-23-17, 08:46 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The GX / Prado was built to be abused. The LS was built to be pampered.

Last edited by Sulu; 12-23-17 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 09:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

off the top of my head, I thought the GX was not generally reliable? And I have ridden in the Prado in third world countries, just because it was sold only there, doesn't make it somehow great? Also, pretty sure 2007 was the first year of the 4th gen LS and it had some issues...3rd gen LS' tend to be reliable but I get it, many think they are grampa mobiles and wouldn't be caught within 100 meters of one..
Old 12-23-17, 10:39 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

LS430 vs GX470 would be a different story.... LS430 hands down.

But an LS460 won't last compared to a GX470.

Sad but true.
Old 12-23-17, 01:41 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

If reliability is your goal then choosing the last model years of the an LS 430 (04-06)is a much better choice. That generation of Lexus are much more bullet proof then the follow up cars which have tons more tech gadgets. Your engine is not what will die on a high mileage Lexus it’s all the gadgets. These gadgets are the main reason why Lexus has dropped significantly in overall reliability in the past 10 years. Ask anyone who had owned an LS 430 and they can tell you aside from lock actuators and occasional squeaky telescoping steering wheels the car is basically oil changes and fill it with gas. That is definitely not the case with the 07+ And especially with the 07 in particular given it is the first model year of that generation of car....in which they hadn’t worked out the bugs yet. There is a reason why that 07 you’re considering is priced so relatively low.

also a bit of advice: Never buy a used Lexus from a dealer. Always buy from an individual who has written maintenance records. Do this and you will be almost guaranteed a solid car.

Last edited by liazon; 12-23-17 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 04:15 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm finding that the OP's question is a bit curious. These two vehicles couldn't be more different from each other so really there's some more info needed to provide an answer. One is a full on truck capable of going off road and dealing with grueling conditions. The other is a big luxo-boat with all types of options to make sure your every need is met. They're really on opposite ends of the luxury used vehicle market.

Assuming that there are two exact vehicles for sale at 150K km, then you have to look at owner history, maintenance and the general condition of these vehicles. The GX is going to need a timing belt/water pump change right about that mileage. The LS might need its lower control arms done if they've not been done. These are now ten year old vehicles, so it's more about which one is in better shape, not which one is better than the other.

And in Ontario, you need an AWD or 4WD vehicle if you plan on driving in the winter. The LS was optional AWD, so that's a consideration.

Quick Reply: GX vs LS Reliability