Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 10:17 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Looks pretty good

How come there's no uproar, ******ing and whining about the touch pad like lexus has put out?

Originally Posted by GS69

[/font]
Old 01-15-18, 10:26 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Per engadget, this touchpad is a 'true touchpad'

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/15/...d-android-rdx/

Now the company has announced that technology is coming to the 2019 RDX branded as a "True Touchpad." This Android-based car OS is the first use of a touchpad with absolute positioning in a car, making sure that wherever the driver taps on the pad corresponds to what is shown on the central 10.2-inch screen, which is mounted high up, in the driver's line of sight. Combined with a new natural language interface and an interactive heads-up display for the driver, it's supposed to be easier to use than any car software we've seen before.
Basically, wherever you press on the pad will be pressed on the screen instead controlling a cursor
Old 01-15-18, 10:37 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb MotorTrend

2019 Acura RDX Prototype First Look: Larger, Stiffer, More Powerful - Motor Trend

2019 Acura RDX Prototype 1st Look: Larger, Stiffer, More Powerful

RDX A-Spec variant to be available at launch this summer

Alisa Priddle Words, Manufacturer PhotosJanuary 15, 2018
Acura might be calling its unveil of the 3rd-generation RDX crossover a prototype, but the 5-passenger luxury SUV making its global debut at North American International Auto Show is production-ready.

It goes on sale this summer, and there also will be an A-Spec variant available at launch—the 1st sporty addition for an Acura SUV. In the future, all core Acura vehicles will get the A-spec treatment.

Acura is calling it an all-new, exclusive platform—but the RDX started with the Honda CR-V architecture and modified the chassis and upgraded the powertrain. Obviously, the sheetmetal is much different, too.

The only engine under the hood at launch is the new 2.0-liter VTEC turbocharged inline-4-cylinder engine that is shared with the Honda Civic Type R and Accord. The direct-injection engine—which generates 306 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque in the Type R and 252 hp and 273 lb-ft in the Accord—has 40 percent more low-end grunt than that of the outgoing RDX and is mapped to deliver more low-end thrust than the revvy Type R. We also expect a hybrid variant in the future.

The RDX’s 10-speed automatic transmission is shared with the Odyssey and Accord, but this is its first all-wheel-drive application.

The 2019 RDX is the same height as the outgoing RDX but is longer and wider with a wheelbase lengthened by 2.5 inches and a 1.2-inch wider track, said engineer Steve Hansen. It also has a shorter overhang and long wheel-to-dash for more dramatic proportions, fronted by the signature diamond pentagon grille and next-gen LED headlights. In back is a “dragon tail” with LED lamps.

Engineers made the body and chassis stiffer and gave the 2019 model a multilink rear suspension with a new adaptive damper system. Drive modes are similar to the NSX’s, which defaults to Sport but can be switched to Comfort, Snow, or Sport Plus. It has variable gear steering.

The 2019 model gets the second generation of Acura’s torque vectoring Super-Handling All Wheel Drive or SH-AWD. About 60 percent of current buyers opt for AWD.

It was at the 2016 NAIAS that Acura showed the Precision concept that would shape the design direction for the brand going forward. Some cues made it into the NSX, but the RDX is the first Acura to fully implement the look the Precision telegraphed, says Acura General Manager Jon Ikeda.

The interior takes cues from the Precision’s cockpit. There are real metals—not faux-look plastics—including brushed aluminum as well as open-pore olive ash wood. The floating console creates space underneath, and the adjustable armrest is nice and necessary around the fixed location of the infotainment interface.

The 16-way adjustable sport front seats are heated and cooled, covered in Nappa leather, and offer lumbar support. 4 of the 16 speakers in the updated sound system are located in the roof instead of the door, for better sound and clarity. Also standard are a sport steering wheel and ultra-wide panoramic roof.The infotainment system features a touchpad interface and a 10.2-inch screen. The new interface will be in future Acuras. The RDX also has new natural language speech recognition. There is 4G LTE Wi-Fi and over-the-air updates for telematics and infotainment.

The RDX made its debut for the 2007 model year and helped create the compact luxury crossover as we know it. With a consistent string of sales increases, the RDX has been the No. 1 or No. 2 seller in the segment for the past 5 years.

This is the 1st RDX to be developed in the U.S., tapping the Ohio engineering team and California design studio. The crossover will continue to be built in Ohio at the East Liberty plant, and the engine is assembled in the Anna, Ohio, facility that also makes the twin-turbo engine for the NSX.

Old 01-15-18, 10:59 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Although I think CX-5 is the best-looking car small SUV, I think this new RDX is going to be the best all-around.. NX is going to get killed!

I am definitely interested... hopefully they'll blow out the 2018's or good residual on 2019's when I am ready to lease the next car.
Old 01-15-18, 01:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hey so RDX gets SH-AWD again? After they dropped I️t there was much backlash. Good job Acura!
Old 01-15-18, 02:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
How come there's no uproar, ******ing and whining about the touch pad like lexus has put out?
maybe because it will work?

but i don't get that giant "dynamic mode" button - again, looks like a 'warp' button.
Old 01-15-18, 02:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

details and materials look excellent. don't get the dinky front brakes though.
Old 01-15-18, 02:30 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
don't get the dinky front brakes though.
I noticed that too, very small....
Old 01-15-18, 03:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I noticed that too, very small....
maybe that's a hybrid version and gets some braking from regeneration?
Old 01-15-18, 04:56 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Looks damn fine. I got to finally watching the launch video. Good stuff overall

Points of note:
I like the navigation setup is cleaner, who knows if their annoying quirks still will persist (locks you out of changing nav, terrible voice rec). the HMI is interesting, my gut makes it seem like this is the same nonsense with Lexus Remote Touch, but lots of buzz markety words. Will see when the first reviews are out.

10 speed autoo HUGGGEEEEE question, who makes it and is their any reliability data out there for this one. Honda Is notoriously bad with transmissions. First it was a fluid issue then it was a supplier issue...however its always a tranny issue .If its anything like their 9 speed ZF....run away

The materials are impressive "metal is metal, wood is wood" sounds nice, but they really skimped on the dash area. Small pinches of wood on the front and center, mostly molded plastic.

Overall, for a new entrant in this class, it seems like Lexus has to worry. The wheelbase is longer so I assume its pushing up as well further into RX land
Old 01-15-18, 05:02 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Although I think CX-5 is the best-looking car small SUV, I think this new RDX is going to be the best all-around.. NX is going to get killed!
Yeah, this would be a serious contender if was my shopping for an NX now (instead of back in 2016).

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe because it will work?
Works fine in my NX, maybe I got a good one . Even my wife who's no techie have no problem using it
Old 01-15-18, 06:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Those side mirrors seem to be rather small (not very tall). Is this the typical Honda pre-release "concept" car, i.e. it is the final model short of some little details, like legal mirrors?

Old 01-15-18, 08:23 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Those side mirrors seem to be rather small (not very tall). Is this the typical Honda pre-release "concept" car, i.e. it is the final model short of some little details, like legal mirrors?
That's generally been the Honda/Acura "concept" formula. They label them "prototype." Basically it's the production car with large wheels and small mirror or camera mirror pods. I like it this way since it doesn't create a huge gap between expectations and reality of what hits the dealer lot. Opposite is Subaru, who makes some amazing looking concepts, but then the production version is so dull.... haha
Old 01-15-18, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
10 speed autoo HUGGGEEEEE question, who makes it and is their any reliability data out there for this one.
I believe honda makes their own 10 speed.
The wheelbase is longer so I assume its pushing up as well further into RX land
Well the rx has a long length with a short wheelbase (giant overhangs) so wouldn't be surprised to see that this rdx wheelbase is close.
Old 01-16-18, 05:09 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1

I am definitely interested... hopefully they'll blow out the 2018's or good residual on 2019's when I am ready to lease the next car.
I do agree with your. I think CX-5 was the best executed CUV out there inside out. Honestly unless you are into a badge side of the things there is zero reason to get Audi, BMW, MB or Lexus over CX-5. Sure you can get some interior bells and whistles on top trim but they you are paying top dollar for a city sized CUV.

The reason I said CX-5 was the best executed CUV is QX50 and new RDX. In my opinion upcoming QX50 is the best exterior designed CUV ever, that thing flooooows like waterfalls, beautiful sight. Unfortunately interior is just like any Infiniti interior pretty much very opposite of exterior, it serves the function but absolutely lacks the form. That's where new RDX comes up to pick up the pieces. From pictures I've seen it seems like RDX has the best of the both worlds when it comes to interior, it has ergonomics and premium cachet. Usually premium manufacturers have one or the other. NX has a mess of buttons thrown all over the nice waterfall dash, GLC is a disgrace for the badge it's wearing it looks good on pictures until you actually sit inside it and Q5 is very spartan and empty in base trims. X3 looks very proper in interior department but I haven't seen the base trim yet.

Quick Reply: 2019 Acura RDX