Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 05:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
Am I the only one who think this car is an abomination to look at? The front looks fine but everything else is just hideous. What a waste of money. Car hasn't even been out that long yet and the design already looks old.
If the Stinger was a Lexus pre spindle era everyone would claim it’s too boring and bland. Everyone seems to like the Stinger and everyone wants to compare it with luxury badged cars, but at the end of the day, the car is not going to be priced at the same level as those of the higher priced brands. Most people would rather have the luxury branded car. A Buick Regal GS hatch is in a higher level of prestige than the Stinger. Probably priced the same. But the press members and the armchair reviewers want to say it’s superior than a higher priced car because it generates clicks and reads.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-23-18 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-23-18, 06:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm somewhere in the middle on style...nether a fan or a hater. I'm generally not a fan of the Kia "Tiger" grilles, and the dash looks a little plain....too much like the A3. But the general overall styling is quite good, and, while, yes, those low, raked rooflines do often cut into headroom, it must be remembered that this is a sport sedan (technically, a hatchback), not necessarily intended to regularly transport families around.
Old 02-23-18, 07:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If the Stinger was a Lexus pre spindle era everyone would claim it’s too boring and bland. Everyone seems to like the Stinger and everyone wants to compare it with luxury badged cars, but at the end of the day, the car is not going to be priced at the same level as those of the higher priced brands.
Lots of absolute 'everyone's there. I don't think if it were pre spindle era it would be boring and bland and that seems like an odd assertion because it isn't pre spindle era. And i consider the stinger more sporty premium than luxury, kind of like an acura sort of.

Most people would rather have the luxury branded car.
Unprovable either way.

A Buick Regal GS hatch is in a higher level of prestige than the Stinger. Probably priced the same.
That's like saying a mazda 6 is 'higher prestige' than an accord, lol

But the press members and the armchair reviewers want to say it’s superior than a higher priced car because it generates clicks and reads.
i agree with that. I've not said it's superior to any higher priced car but i will now i think it's superior in every way to a lexus is.

Old 02-23-18, 07:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Am I the only one who think this car is an abomination to look at?.
pretty much you also said the 3gs is the greatest design of all time.
Old 02-23-18, 07:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

If the Stinger was a Lexus pre spindle era everyone would claim it’s too boring and bland. Everyone seems to like the Stinger and everyone wants to compare it with luxury badged cars, but at the end of the day, the car is not going to be priced at the same level as those of the higher priced brands. Most people would rather have the luxury branded car. A Buick Regal GS hatch is in a higher level of prestige than the Stinger. Probably priced the same. But the press members and the armchair reviewers want to say it’s superior than a higher priced car because it generates clicks and reads.
Maybe there should be a few IMO's in there?
Old 02-23-18, 07:44 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

pretty much you also said the 3gs is the greatest design of all time.
Good enough for Kia to copy with the K900.
Old 02-23-18, 08:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Good enough for Kia to copy with the K900.
you really think they look alike? Lol 😂
Old 02-23-18, 08:18 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 602 Likes on 415 Posts

Saw my first one out in the wild yesterday. I thought it looked quite nice!
Old 02-23-18, 09:32 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Automobile Magazine's reviewer is quite taken with it during his week long test of a RWD Stinger that came in at just over $41K.

After just one standing-start acceleration blast through the gears, I almost wanted to get out and check the badge on the nose. This thing is a Kia? Why, yes, it sure is—says so right there. That said, in a side-by-side proficiency run, this newcomer would leave a V-8-powered Dodge Charger Daytona sucking its exhaust fumes.

Kia showed off the racy GT Concept seven years ago at the 2011 Frankfurt motor show. And now comes the new-for-2018 production Stinger GT—looking almost exactly like the concept car and boasting a thunderous, 365-hp twin-turbo V-6 behind its dramatic prow.Kia claims a 0 to 60 mph time of just 4.7 seconds but to me, the GT feels even quicker than that.

Top speed is an electronically limited 167 mph—which is to say, this new Kia is ready to eat BMWs, Audis, and Benzes for lunch—and then gulp down that Charger Daytona for dessert. As for room, I drove with three passengers along on several occasions and nobody ever complained about the accommodations. The rear seat is generously sized and under the rear hatch lies enough space to stash a ton of cargo. I filled it with six bags of groceries and had lots of room to spare...

Around Los Angeles, the Stinger got plenty of attention—both for its dramatic Micro Blue Pearl paint scheme and because nobody had seen one before. Overall it’s a striking piece—aggressively proportioned, the big alloys nicely filling the wheel wells, standard LED headlamps shaped into a menacing squint. One passerby asked, “That a Jaguar?” Wasn’t a bad guess...

Clearly, Kia has biased the GT’s performance toward “pleasurable sportiness,” not “ultimate performance.” The 8-speed automatic has a manual-shifting mode, and it responds well enough to up- and downshift commands using the paddles behind the wheel. But you’d never mistake it for a twin-clutch unit.

Similarly, the chassis responds well enough—to a point. Pushed hard, the rear end tends to loose its footing. The electronic steering doesn’t deliver the fine road Braille you’ll find in many competitors. And the fore-aft body motions under braking or acceleration are more than you’d encounter in, say, a BMW.
Source
Old 02-23-18, 09:35 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Went to the CIAS today and took some shots of mine in the parking lot and the Ceramic Silver (wet metallic "cement") and the white ones on display.

While I was checking them out, I honestly heard not a single criticism. People were genuinely surprised and impressed with the styling, interior, specs, and price.
The stinger looks great! I never got a chance to congratulate you on your thread

I love these new "marble-ized" colors. You see them a lot on the bmw and porsches.

Not that it matters, but is there a fog light option?
Old 02-23-18, 09:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

One thing i'm not jazzed about on the gt is the rim design.
Old 02-23-18, 11:14 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

...And i consider the stinger more sporty premium than luxury, kind of like an acura sort of.

I've not said it's superior to any higher priced car but i will now i think it's superior in every way to a lexus is.
Agree. Acura is spot-on in terms of the Stinger's "premium" representation. And from ownership, I back this statement without reservation.

As for Lexus superiority in the price range (i.e. IS), in most areas, yes without a doubt the Stinger is a better package, but it comes short in a couple areas. I'll update my Stinger thread with more details soon after two months ownership!

Am I the only one who think this car is an abomination to look at? The front looks fine but everything else is just hideous. What a waste of money. Car hasn't even been out that long yet and the design already looks old.
LOL, I think we can debate ad nauseaum what qualifies "a waste of money" but at the end of the day, people buy what makes sense to them and no one can argue against that!

Ironically, months back though, I found the styling too chunky towards the rear and fastback designs were never my thing. Well, today, I lust over this car every time I see it, especially in profile at the rear! Go figure!

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
The stinger looks great! I never got a chance to congratulate you on your thread

I love these new "marble-ized" colors. You see them a lot on the bmw and porsches.

Not that it matters, but is there a fog light option?
Thanks! This paint is very similar to Smokey Granite Mica (one of my favorite Lexus colors of all-time).
No fog light option.

One thing i'm not jazzed about on the gt is the rim design.
I'm somewhat aligned with you on this. I'm not fond of polished alumimum wheels in general (same with my past NX F Sport) and the chunky center plastic cap covering the lug nuts doesn't add to the appeal, but the overall look has grown on me.
Old 02-23-18, 12:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'm somewhat aligned with you on this. I'm not fond of polished alumimum wheels in general (same with my past NX F Sport) and the chunky center plastic cap covering the lug nuts doesn't add to the appeal, but the overall look has grown on me.
Red calipers help
Old 02-23-18, 01:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If theyre doing a markup on these things...WHOLLY MOLLY STOP THE PRESSES..
Old 02-23-18, 05:09 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

From what I read, the Stinger GT is one stiffer rear sway bar and a set of lighter broader rims away from handling perfection.

Curious to hear feedback from actual Stinger owners on this area : the handling.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger