Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Kia Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 03:20 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the stinger is already a success with the awards, great reviews and the fact that we've spent 26 pages of posts so far discussing it.
you know what else got great reviews & awards & lots of thread time about this time last year? the giulia. surely you have one in your garage right now, like dozens of others
Old 02-16-18, 04:27 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 631 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
you know what else got great reviews & awards & lots of thread time about this time last year? the giulia. surely you have one in your garage right now, like dozens of others
Well, it did outsell the GS in 2017, which is a closer competitor to it.
Old 02-16-18, 05:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Well, it did outsell the GS in 2017, which is a closer competitor to it.
It continued into January too. 948 vs. 475.
Old 02-16-18, 07:09 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The giulia competes with the IS not the GS.
Old 02-17-18, 07:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The giulia competes with the IS not the GS.
You're right. I thought it was more expensive.
Old 02-17-18, 07:38 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XBROKER
Finally got around to see this car for myself. Visually more impressive in person. I found it low getting in & out of. More for younger guys. Didn't drive it yet though. The GT's wheels are ugly to me. The display reminds me of Mazda and it seems high and far away for a touch. To change the air filter, it looks like you have to remove the cross member. Fit and finish of the Stinger is quite good as is the storage. No requirement for premium fuel is a plus. No point in getting a 4 since the ES is just as powerful albeit it a bit more weighty.

My ES is likely more comfortable. Stinger seats felt hard in comparison. I'm guessing the GT will be the one the car guys go for; and the Camry cross shoppers will be happy w/ the 4. I don't really get the red interior popular on the GT. Good for bleeding out after an accident?

The wheels would have to go if were to get a CPO stinger GT as a toy. I imagine the discounts on a CPO Stinger will be good when the time comes. I hear Hyundai is coming out w/ something even faster soon. 5.0.V8? Not sure how true that is. As usual, the sales people here are pretty clueless as to what they're selling. The manager said the Stinger will only be sold in the U.S. for now. I immediately thought that made no sense. It will be interesting to see what the early adopters have to say after 18 months or so.
But, it does require premium fuel. Also, most people won't be cross shopping it and the ES.

You should have told the dealer that they sell a loaded Stinger in Canada for a much less than in the US.
Old 02-17-18, 08:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

The manager said the Stinger will only be sold in the U.S. for now. I immediately thought that made no sense. It will be interesting to see what the early adopters have to say after 18 months or so.
No. The Stinger is definitely available (or will be) in Canada. There, it starts at $44,195, which is just over 35K in U.S. dollars.

http://www.kia.ca/stinger?sourceid=new-nav

http://x-rates.com/calculator/?from=CAD&to=USD&amount=1

You should have told the dealer that they sell a loaded Stinger in Canada for a much less than in the US.
That would depend on a number of factors.....demand, supply, and, of course, the official Canadian-U.S. exchange-rate. Hard to say for any one particular dealership at any one particular time.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-18 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-17-18, 08:24 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That would depend on a number of factors.....demand, supply, and, of course, the official Canadian-U.S. exchange-rate. Hard to say for any one particular dealership at any one particular time.
A fully loaded Stinger in Canada is ~$52k CAD (~$41k US). A fully loaded Stinger in the US is ~$52k USD (~$65k CAD).
Those are the MSRP's listed for each country. Not too difficult to see where the bigger bargain can be had on one.
Old 02-17-18, 12:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 291 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Fake news In reality the m3 would smoke the stinger. It does the 1/4th in 12.2 at 120 mph while the stinger in low 13s at 107 mph. Thats a pretty freaking large performance difference.
Not necessarily and taking out the driver variable, would depend on environmentals. The RC F and E92 M3 are arguably similar in acceleration and from ownership experience, the Stinger would actually beat the RC F in real-world non-ideal temperatures and road conditions thanks to its superior placement of power to all four wheels. In summer ideal temps, however I would put my money on the RC F in edging out the Stinger over a long stretch once that V8 sings above 3800 rpm and traction is fully available through the sticky Michelin PSS.

But, it does require premium fuel. Also, most people won't be cross shopping it and the ES.

Actually, 91 octane is recommended, not required. However, I went through one tank of 87 and never again. Power/response dropped noticeably.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. The Stinger is definitely available (or will be) in Canada. There, it starts at $44,195, which is just over 35K in U.S. dollars.

http://www.kia.ca/stinger?sourceid=new-nav

http://x-rates.com/calculator/?from=CAD&to=USD&amount=1

A fully loaded Stinger in Canada is ~$52k CAD (~$41k US). A fully loaded Stinger in the US is ~$52k USD (~$65k CAD).
Those are the MSRP's listed for each country. Not too difficult to see where the bigger bargain can be had on one.

MM, "will be" available in Canada? LOL, I've had my Stinger for 7 weeks now having posted multiple times on the car, living in the Toronto area!

Also, a point to highlight, only the GT AWD is available in Canada in two trims "GT" and GT Limited". GT is similar to GT1 in the US while Limited is similar to GT2 with a handful more features to boot.

There is talk the 2.0T may come to Canada in summer but for now only the V6TT has been launched and available in Canada since Dec 2017.
Old 02-17-18, 12:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Not necessarily and taking out the driver variable, would depend on environmentals. The RC F and E92 M3 are arguably similar in acceleration and from ownership experience, the Stinger would actually beat the RC F in real-world non-ideal temperatures and road conditions thanks to its superior placement of power to all four wheels. In summer ideal temps, however I would put my money on the RC F in edging out the Stinger over a long stretch once that V8 sings above 3800 rpm and traction is fully available through the sticky Michelin PSS. Actually, 91 octane is recommended, not required. However, I went through one tank of 87 and never again. Power/response dropped noticeably.MM, "will be" available in Canada? LOL, I've had my Stinger for 7 weeks now having posted multiple times on the car, living in the Toronto area!

Also, a point to highlight, only the GT AWD is available in Canada in two trims "GT" and GT Limited". GT is similar to GT1 in the US while Limited is similar to GT2 with a handful more features to boot.

There is talk the 2.0T may come to Canada in summer but for now only the V6TT has been launched and available in Canada since Dec 2017.
I love the RCF but every test I have ever seen and read about has the M3 winning the drag. Its underrated from factory and noticeably faster around a track. I bet the stinger will be faster than the RCF once the mods start coming. So easy to make turbo cars faster. The M3 is also significantly lighter than the Stinger and RCF. Its the best performance car in that class for sure.
Old 02-17-18, 04:02 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

It would be a real surprise if the Stinger were faster than an M3. It is a competitor for the 340 and 440 cars. Hyundai is working on a high performance division which will be identified by the letter "N". I expect the first car from them will be a version of the Genesis G70. If this happens, the Stinger should follow.
Old 02-17-18, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMr2
MM, "will be" available in Canada? LOL, I've had my Stinger for 7 weeks now having posted multiple times on the car, living in the Toronto area!
Yes, I wasn't necessarily using the term literally....I was basically referring to the fact that Kia, per the info on its website, was going to make at least some versions available there. In fact, if you've had yours seven weeks, you might have gotten it in Canada before we did here in the D.C. area.
Old 02-17-18, 04:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hey @corradoMr2, do you have a personalized plate? STINGYA, GETSTNG, STINGU lol
Old 02-17-18, 05:05 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Stinger may get faster yet if they do the "N" division tune and really go after a big boss model. A limited market but certainly a re-branding of the Kia brand.

To add some additional info on that video, it's just some random guy goofing with his girlfriend and a dslr camera on a small tripod out on the street. Hardly scientific when there's no context to it.

The M3 in that video is the E92/93 generation of V8s that stopped production in 2013 (after that it was only sedans or you move to the M4). No way to know what state of repair or tune the Bimmer is in since it's effectively a 5 year old car at its newest vs a brand new Stinger.

414 hp/295 lb ft torque out of the V8 BMW - 365 hp/376 lb ft torque which starts at 1300 rpm for the Stinger. Time certainly does change things

The Bimmer would spank that Stinger on an Autobahn once things go upstairs to over 150 mph. Slow speed or rolling start runs will always benefit a vehicle like the Stinger and its nice fat turbo torque curve down low.

The M3 was criticized for being "slow" at the time for turning in a time of 4.8 secs 0-60 in some tests and that doesn't get better with age. Now we see the Stinger turning in times in that range if not better. And the AWD certainly helps with takeoffs.
Old 02-18-18, 06:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 291 Likes on 211 Posts

KIA's official number on this is a 6 HP drop. I imagine someone could take them to task on this if they had the same results as you. I don't buy premium required cars for reasons I'll leave out for brevity and to not hijack. Let's just say I'd get a better sampling of what the real world experience is in this regard before I bought a CPO.
There's probably a bigger torque drop since I noticed the difference beyond just 6 hp.

Quick Reply: 2018 Kia Stinger