Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-1 Concept

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-17, 01:47 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a play on original LS400 code name LF1 I guess.
Old 12-08-17, 06:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I will predict this is the same platform they will use for the Sequoia perhaps made in USA as well. Hopefully they keep the LX for the US market, but I doubt they will.
Old 12-08-17, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Sequoia platform?!

Naw, the new GA-L platform
Old 12-10-17, 02:06 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
I hope so. Even the slightly tweaked spindle grill in the 2018 NX looks better than before, so am hopeful the front end design in the next gen models will have a broader acceptance than the current designs.
The spindle looks best when its not pointy sharp and doesn't extend alll the way to the bottom of the front bumper.
Old 12-19-17, 01:58 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm excited!

source: https://www.autoblog.com/2017/12/19/...ound-ab-tile-4
Old 12-19-17, 02:00 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

they dubbed it "limitless" too
Old 01-15-18, 08:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Pictures are now up on various sites.

Old 01-15-18, 08:36 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts
Thumbs up

A very "driver focused" cockpit. I like that aspect a lot. The virtual mirror monitors flanking the instrumentation pod are super nice.
Old 01-15-18, 09:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

is that a 5 (4?) seater?
Old 01-15-18, 10:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

interesting front

Old 01-15-18, 10:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus hinted Monday at what’s to come with the LF-1 Limitless Concept which debuted Monday at the Detroit auto show. The car underscores the way high-line brands are scrambling to respond to the dramatic shifts reshaping the global auto industry.

Full-size sedans, like the Lexus LS, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and the BMW 7-Series, have traditionally served as the pinnacle of what those brands stand for. But in a market where SUVs account for half of all sales and traditional passenger cars are rapidly sliding in demand, the focus is shifting. The LF1, according to Lexus “carves out” space for a new “flagship luxury crossover.”

“This is our vision for a new kind of flagship vehicle that embraces crossover capability without giving up the performance and luxury delivered by today’s top sedans,” said Kevin Hunter, the president of CALTY, the advanced design center near Los Angeles for Lexus' parent Toyota. “The LF-1 Limitless concept incorporates imaginative technology while creating a strong emotional connection by improving the human experience for the driver and passengers.”

One might argue that Lexus already has a premium utility vehicle, the big LX. But that three-row model is based on a classic, body-on-frame design with limited niche appeal. The LF-1 – like the flagship model to come – is based on a more car-like platform. That translates into a more comfortable on-road driving experience while retaining the higher seating and all-weather capabilities of a classic “ute.”

For those used to the traditional, slab-sided look that long defined the Lexus brand, meanwhile, designers took to heart the mandate of Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda to “put more passion into the brand.” The LF-1 offers a much bolder – and potentially polarizing – shape that Lexus likens to “molten metal being forged into a fine Japanese sword.”

The show car features an athletic look that is as much sports car or sport-utility vehicle, with a low roofline and massive 22-inch wheels barely concealed by its flaring fenders. The face, of course, features the now-familiar Lexus spindle grille, though it adopts a more three-dimensional appearance. One of the more distinctive details comes with the use of LED lighting, rather than chrome, to frame the grille. The LF-1 has a virtually all-glass roof.

Inside, the Lexus LF-1 marries traditional luxury features, such as two-tone Cocoa Bean and Chiffon White leather, with more modern technology, including indirect LED lighting that can be adjusted to the driver’s color preference. There’s also what Lexus calls a “four-dimensional” navigation system that is meant to “anticipate the needs of the driver and occupants,” according to Lexus. It not only adjusts for traffic and road conditions, but even suggests fuel stops, rest breaks and can make hotel reservations during a longer trip.

And to reflect another coming trend, the Lexus LF-1 features parent Toyota’s “Chauffeur” autonomous driving system that would allow a motorist to switch to a hands-free mode or back to manual for a more sporty experience. Paddle shifters frame the steering wheel of the rear-drive crossover prototype. Its onboard "supercomputer" and AI system "may know you better than some of your friends and family," said Jeff Bracken, Lexus general manager.

Lexus LF-1 Limitless concept (Photo: Lexus)

Noting the constant media coverage of autonomous vehicles, Bracken cautioned that cars are not just appliances. “We always come back to people’s emotional response to …vehicles. How many objects can trigger as emotional a response?”

The use of the word, “Limitless,” in the concept’s name also reflects CEO Toyoda’s recent promise to offer alternative powertrain technology for every one of the company’s future products. The automaker hints the production version of the LF-1 could ultimately be powered by not only a conventional gas engine, but by hybrid, plug-in, all-electric or even fuel-cell powertrains.

Lexus isn’t ready to discuss production plans for the LF-1 Limitless Concept, but with competitors as diverse as Audi, Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW and other manufacturers turning to their own flagship crossovers, Lexus insiders hint we can expect the Japanese luxury-maker to have something in its showrooms within the next couple years.

Lexus also rolled out its new RX 350L, which premiered at the LA Auto Show in November. The crossover has a third-row seating option.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...uts/109465542/
Old 01-15-18, 10:04 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow! Love the design with a traditional rwd long hood setup! I wonder if this is based off the LS/LC platform?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/lexus-lf-1-concept-suv-exclusive-first-look/
Old 01-15-18, 10:32 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

One might argue that Lexus already has a premium utility vehicle, the big LX. But that three-row model is based on a classic, body-on-frame design with limited niche appeal. The LF-1 – like the flagship model to come – is based on a more car-like platform. That translates into a more comfortable on-road driving experience while retaining the higher seating and all-weather capabilities of a classic “ute.”
Looks great! I like it

However, stuffing a 22" rim and wanting it to be comfortable?
Not as comfortable as something with a little more sidewall.
Old 01-15-18, 10:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just saw it and sat inside a bit. Front end is odd in my opinion. I feel like I don't know where to look when I look at it dead on. It's like it doesn't have eyes. Overall size and proportions kind of remind me of the Maserati Levante.

Posting some of my own photos throughout the day here
https://www.instagram.com/caraficionauto/
Old 01-15-18, 10:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i wonder if this is a replacement for the gs?

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-1 Concept