Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All new Tesla Roadster unveiled!! 0-60mph 1.9 seconds!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The key to Tesla's future is probably not so much tied to the car factory, but to the "giga-factory" to make batteries. If they succeed there, battery costs for the cars will drop dramatically and the car factory can become profitable. Musk's long term plans are to also sell batteries for home use so that solar power can be practical. I keep thinking a smart investment would be in a lithium mine.
Steve
apparently there's 18 million tonnes in wyoming

http://www.mining.com/web/america-fi...um-in-wyoming/
Old 11-22-17, 11:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Tesla might be too big to fail now. I bet another company or billionaire would express interest.
Old 11-22-17, 12:02 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i applaud what they've done but their execution is poor.
I appreciate what Elon Musk has done also. He is a visionary but a poor financial manager, in my opinion. I believe that he should hire a strong financial officer and team with experience working with startups, and heed their advice. But to start, he has to give up his egotistical need to have a finger in every single aspect of the company.

Visionaries are seldom good financial managers. Those who think they can do product management, engineering AND financial management are likely the startups that fail.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Tesla might be too big to fail now. I bet another company or billionaire would express interest.
I don't know if Tesla is too large to fail; if it fails, it would just be all the blind investors who lose. The intellectual property, and the car and battery assembly plants and equipment would then be bought up at discount.

But I doubt any other company or some billionaire would be interested in buying right now. I think that it would be too expensive to buy out all the investors right now, and anybody expressing interest would merely drive up the stock price. The company is just over-valued, in my opinion. But wait (until next summer?) for Tesla to fail and some other automaker may be interested in buying.
Old 11-22-17, 12:35 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Sulu
But I doubt any other company or some billionaire would be interested in buying right now. I think that it would be too expensive to buy out all the investors right now, and anybody expressing interest would merely drive up the stock price. The company is just over-valued, in my opinion. But wait (until next summer?) for Tesla to fail and some other automaker may be interested in buying.
I'd support Daimler-Benz or Toyota buying Tesla.
Old 11-22-17, 02:45 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'd support Daimler-Benz or Toyota buying Tesla.
Last year, Daimler AG had USD235 billion in assets, 64 billion in equity, and netted 10.381 billion in profits.
VW AG had assets of 483 billion, with 109 billion in equity, and netted 6.08 billion in profits.
TMC had 428 billion in assets, 153.5 billion in equity, and netted 20.779 billion in profits.

Tesla had 22.66 billion in assets, 4.75 billion in equity, and 667.3 million dollars in losses.

Equity = Assets - Liabilities

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-22-17 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-22-17, 02:47 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I appreciate what Elon Musk has done also. He is a visionary but a poor financial manager, in my opinion. I believe that he should hire a strong financial officer and team with experience working with startups, and heed their advice. But to start, he has to give up his egotistical need to have a finger in every single aspect of the company.

Visionaries are seldom good financial managers. Those who think they can do product management, engineering AND financial management are likely the startups that fail.

I don't know if Tesla is too large to fail; if it fails, it would just be all the blind investors who lose. The intellectual property, and the car and battery assembly plants and equipment would then be bought up at discount.

In my opinion, he is basically the Steve Jobs of the car industry right now in the point you are making.
Old 11-22-17, 03:44 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Last year, Daimler AG had USD235 billion in assets, 64 billion in equity, and netted 10.381 billion in profits.
VW AG had assets of 483 billion, with 109 billion in equity, and netted 6.08 billion in profits.
TMC had 428 billion in assets, 153.5 billion in equity, and netted 20.779 billion in profits.

Tesla had 22.66 billion in assets, 4.75 billion in equity, and 667.3 million dollars in losses.

Equity = Assets - Liabilities

Old 11-22-17, 04:03 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to deflect too far from the thread title, but investors look at stuff like p/e ratio and Tesla's is not that great compared to say Toyota. Not sure that any big manufacturer would drag down their shareholder value by swimming around the chum that Tesla might leave unless its a bargain basement fire sale.

Anyway, Tesla might already have some PR competition. A Taipei firm says it can beat the Tesla's times but hasn't said anything about the range of its proposed hypercar. 0-60 1.8 secs and they have a working mule.

https://electrek.co/2017/11/22/start...-new-roadster/
Old 11-22-17, 04:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
In my opinion, he is basically the Steve Jobs of the car industry right now in the point you are making.
The similarity for me is Jobs tried to force products into the market when the tech to actually make them wasn't ready.
Old 11-24-17, 11:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

yup, wait for the bankruptcy and buy the remaining assets, the stockholders get nothing.

Originally Posted by MattyG
Not to deflect too far from the thread title, but investors look at stuff like p/e ratio and Tesla's is not that great compared to say Toyota.
not great? they have no earnings, thus no p/e.
Old 11-24-17, 11:19 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Assuming Tesla can ramp up production of the 3 as planned they'll be fine. If not then things do look bleak. Putting resources into a new Roadster on the surface seems like a bad idea given their cash burn rate.
Old 11-24-17, 11:52 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
I wonder how much battery/range you'd have left after a couple 1.9 seconds 0-60 launches? And, how much range would you have left as well? Last time I checked, the current consumption spiked north of 1.5kW. 1500 amps rms. definitely a lot of strain and drain on the battery. does the battery have enough kWh to run at the track? what's the real life range from spirited driving from touge?

so many questions.
Well a Veyron uses up its 26.4 gallon of fuel in 10-12 minutes, so if the Tesla Roadster can improve on that, that would be a improvement
Old 11-24-17, 02:34 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Assuming Tesla can ramp up production of the 3 as planned they'll be fine. If not then things do look bleak. Putting resources into a new Roadster on the surface seems like a bad idea given their cash burn rate.
Tesla had planned to build 1,500 Model 3s in the July to September quarter but built only 260. It had also planned to be building 5,000 of these cars per week by the end.

Tesla has already missed its plan.
Old 11-27-17, 02:04 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by xioix
Well a Veyron uses up its 26.4 gallon of fuel in 10-12 minutes, so if the Tesla Roadster can improve on that, that would be a improvement
never knew that about the veyron. I'm also very curious to know how long the Tesla will run at top speed! 12.1 minutes, lol
at least the veyron can fill up its tank in half that time.
gotta love Tesla marketing
Old 01-11-18, 02:10 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta say it looks pretty darn good in normal lighting.
First next-gen Tesla Roadster sighting in the wild – prototype apparently breaks down

Quick Reply: All new Tesla Roadster unveiled!! 0-60mph 1.9 seconds!!