Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cool features on new or newer cars . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-17, 08:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

there are no cool features on cars older than 5 years, so yeah, let's say 5 or newer.
Old 11-19-17, 10:31 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think Mercedes had something similar on the old model S-class when it came out about 10 years ago. Car bonged at you and popped up a picture of a cup of coffee in the instrument display if it found you driving all over the road. Guess the coffee would be good to wake you up or try and sober you up lol.
Attention Assist.
Old 11-20-17, 11:38 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Some are not too new:

Adaptive Cruise - my i3 senses the car in front and applies the gas and brake to keep a safe distance. Works in stop and go traffic as well. I can press the gas to speed up momentarily then let go and it goes back to my cruise speed and resumes adaptive automatically. It makes my commute so much more relaxed.

Smartphone Integration - Especially on electric cars. I love turning on my AC before I head back to the car. I can do this on my M3 as well, but it only ventilates, it doesn't turn the AC on probably to save the standard battery. Since the EV car has a huge battery, it turns on the AC. I also like to lock the doors, check the EV Range, fuel level, mileage etc.

Adaptive High Beams - My M3 has adaptive high beams. There are two modes: one will turn the high beams off when it senses oncoming traffic. The other, called "anti-dazzle" will actually aim my high beams away from the cars in front of me. In other words, if there is a car directly in front, it will split the beams so that it lights the left and right of the car. If an oncoming car comes, it will turn off the left high beam, but leave the right on, and still steer the right beam clear of the car I am following. It's kind of trippy watching my high beams basically "frame" the car in front of me in light, and track it as we round corners.

Fully programmable Preset buttons for the entertainment unit - BMWs have 8 preset buttons at the top of the iDrive. They look like radio preset buttons, but they are more than that. You can program a radio station, sure, but you can also program things like navigate home, call your wife, turn on the sport display, play from the media drive, change mood lighting, check tire pressure... etc etc.. basically almost anything you can access through the iDrive can be programmed to a button. Additionally, they are touch sensitive, so you just have to touch the button (without pressing) and it will tell you what that button does on the screen. Pretty handy.

Auto headlights - Just leave them on al the time. Turns on at night. Turns off in the daytime.

Auto dimming rearview and side mirrors - come on now, every car should have this. Too many raised trucks blinding people.
Old 11-20-17, 11:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ There are a couple of other manufactures doing that "blank button, program it to what you want" deal. Pretty cool IMO. If you want launch control mode, I assume you can program that to one button as well. I know on some cars its stupid, you have to go through 3 or 4 screens on the menu, push two or hold two or three different buttons and paddles.

I mean what was ever wrong with your automatic 1970 Trans Am or Chevelle 454, push the brake with your left foot to hold the car while you rev the engine with your right foot, let off the brake as you smoothly apply the throttle. What do you know, if you did it right you got off the line with minimal wheelspin and beat the snot out of that guy in the other lane. Or if you were in those two cars, even if you botched the launch and smoked the tires a bit, you were still going to pass most cars by 60-70mph, just due to sheer power.

Here I am talking about old cars again lol, there are some things you can do better yourself with old tech if the car is set up right(ie launches at the drag strip) Just saying a 500hp Chevelle can launch harder than a new 500hp Nissan GT-R with the right setup, with no electronics or trick 4wd needed.

Last edited by Aron9000; 11-20-17 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-21-17, 08:04 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there are no cool features on cars older than 5 years, so yeah, let's say 5 or newer.
Really?

There have been several cars older then 5 years that had massage seats, cooled seats, rear seat controls and recline, rear seat entertainment, ability to play movies on front screen, refrigerators, active aero, active exhaust, illuminated door sills, advanced awd systems, power rear windows in a coupe, power sunshades, etc.
Old 11-21-17, 08:21 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

One of my favorite features in newer cars is the Blind Spot Monitors in the new Lexus. I also like bluetooth and having aux ports in the cars as well.
Old 11-21-17, 08:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Rear Cross Traffic Alert