Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

4Runner break down tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 07:10 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s a car, it will break down, any brand of any car at any miles could face some serious issues. As long as your parents are safe, it’s all matters. The truck still have warranty so just let Toyota fix it.
Old 11-05-17, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
You'll be shocked at what can easily bring the most sophisticated and the most simple drive trains to a stand still on the side of the road. Toyota 4Runner transmissions and engines are not known for randomly quitting without indicating a SOS long before you get to the side of the highway.

It's an issue that has to be run down with diagnostic codes. I carry a bluetooth plug in with me all the time. Got an issue? I look at it with my smartphone or tablet. There is a trouble code somewhere. Yes, your parents don't know about that and that's fine. The service center will do that. It's not a major transmission issue. 4Runners do not c***p their transmissions.

From what Jill describes (assuming, as you do, that the transmission is not bad), it still sounds to me like a Traction-Control issue....engine runs OK, transmission in gear, brakes off, but the drive-wheels won't turn. IMO, that's classic T/C malfunction.....stuck on when it should be off. What do you think?
Old 11-05-17, 07:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what Jill describes (assuming, as you do, that the transmission is not bad), it still sounds to me like a Traction-Control issue....engine runs OK, transmission in gear, brakes off, but the drive-wheels won't turn. IMO, that's classic T/C malfunction.....stuck on when it should be off. What do you think?
sounds possible.

You'll be shocked at what can easily bring the most sophisticated and the most simple drive trains to a stand still on the side of the road. Toyota 4Runner transmissions and engines are not known for randomly quitting without indicating a SOS long before you get to the side of the highway.

It's an issue that has to be run down with diagnostic codes. I carry a bluetooth plug in with me all the time. Got an issue? I look at it with my smartphone or tablet. There is a trouble code somewhere. Yes, your parents don't know about that and that's fine. The service center will do that. It's not a major transmission issue. 4Runners do not c***p their transmissions.

What kind of SOS do you mean? I do have a ODB scanner, but it's in my 4Runner and I am miles away.
Old 11-05-17, 07:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
It’s a car, it will break down, any brand of any car at any miles could face some serious issues. As long as your parents are safe, it’s all matters. The truck still have warranty so just let Toyota fix it.
Agreed. Thanks.

They did coast for a while. So it was not sudden stop moving. Not sure what happens when a transmission quits.
Old 11-05-17, 07:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Previous models, up to 2002, used the 4-speed automatic. The 2003 introduced an Asian-sourced 5-speed.
Check out the specs. They used a new 4.0 for one year with a 4speed carryover. Not sure why. It might of been for two years actually.
Old 11-05-17, 08:01 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What kind of SOS do you mean? I do have a ODB scanner, but it's in my 4Runner and I am miles away.
Wait for the trouble code tomorrow. It may be intermittent, but there's a history of what the computer threw out as a trouble code. All that aside, if the vehicle was stuttering when cold or not quite shifting properly or it seemed like the engine was sluggish when it was started up. These are issues. You may or may not see a check engine light lit up on the dash. At 9K, that's surprising that a 4Runner with that particular drive train strands itself on the side of the highway. Something more fishy here.
Old 11-05-17, 08:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Wait for the trouble code tomorrow. It may be intermittent, but there's a history of what the computer threw out as a trouble code. All that aside, if the vehicle was stuttering when cold or not quite shifting properly or it seemed like the engine was sluggish when it was started up. These are issues. You may or may not see a check engine light lit up on the dash. At 9K, that's surprising that a 4Runner with that particular drive train strands itself on the side of the highway. Something more fishy here.
Very fishy. What bothers me is the vehicle uses an engine that has been in use for decades. Same thing the transmission.
Old 11-05-17, 09:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Check out the specs. They used a new 4.0 for one year with a 4speed carryover. Not sure why. It might of been for two years actually.

Perhaps so, but I used the Wiki-specs, which listed 4ATs up till 2002, and 5ATs after that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4Runner
Old 11-06-17, 03:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Now if this were a BMW, it would be very possible to shut it off, restart, and no issues. Then, the dealer would also find no codes. Audi as well. At least with BMW, it could be a failure of the DME, and even searching on eBay there are services to upgrade and code a used DME for your car. i.e. known issues with the ECU and its design. I am not sure if Toyota products have the similar amount of computer control, but one would think so, just that design is much different....this vehicle I would think is still under warranty so hopefully it will get sorted out.....good luck

p.s. my buddy recently traded in the Q5 for this reason....they keep saying the Q5 drove so much better in every way than the NX200t they got to replace it, but how can one trust a car that stalls and the dealer finds nothing wrong....
Old 11-06-17, 04:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

p.s. my buddy recently traded in the Q5 for this reason....they keep saying the Q5 drove so much better in every way than the NX200t they got to replace it, but how can one trust a car that stalls and the dealer finds nothing wrong....
I do remember years and years ago they had a Oldsmobile. Something happened where the reverse failed and the car went sailing rearward into a fence post as nothing could stop it. We were children at the time. Couple days later when the dealer said they were fixing it as it was a brake issue, my mother just said good riddance as it was brand new or of similar age to this 4Runner. My prediction is that they get rid of it at some point in the next month or so.
Old 11-06-17, 04:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,406 Posts

sorry to hear/read. could be several things but probably electrical (alternator, battery, etc.) or electronic (ecu, etc).
Old 11-06-17, 10:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A bit of an update. The vehicle does start and it will drive but very slowly. All the lights on the dash are lit up. Still waiting for the diagnostic.
Old 11-06-17, 06:20 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

A bit of an update. The vehicle does start and it will drive but very slowly. All the lights on the dash are lit up. Still waiting for the diagnostic.
Sorry to hear, but at least they are OK. That's a bad stretch of the 401 to break down on, lot's traffic lanes coming together, very narrow emergency lanes. It looks the car went into limp mode, which is what it's designed to do for failure of a critical safety or drive train component. Enough motion to steer, get out of the way and get it towed for service.
Old 11-07-17, 06:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So no codes could be found and the dash lights cleared. The dealer drove it for an hour and cannot reproduce the issue. The dealer won't clear it just yet as now a Toyota USA engineer has to sign off that is safe to drive. They will try to diagnosis is remotely. First time I have ever heard of this. The vehicle is under warranty.
Old 11-07-17, 10:37 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Now that’s something I don’t want to hear. If there is a problem I would like to find it and have it repaired! So that I can drive without worry. But something like this would put me so unease that I will think I’m driving a time bomb that who knows when it would have a shut down again! Next time maybe not in a safe situation, sigh.

Quick Reply: 4Runner break down tonight.