Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

4Runner break down tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 04:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 4Runner break down tonight.

My parents 2015 4Runner with 9k on the odometer broke down tonight on the 401 while driving. Total loss of power as the truck coasted to the side of the highway at Bayview and 401. My parents are safe. They had to tow the car. Sad as they were on their ways to friends 86th birthday celebration.

This is the second time my family has had a breakdown. The first was in my sisters 10 Lexus IS.
Old 11-05-17, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My parents 2015 4Runner with 9k on the odometer broke down tonight on the 401 while driving. Total loss of power as the truck coasted to the side of the highway at Bayview and 401. My parents are safe. They had to tow the car. Sad as they were on their ways to friends 86th birthday celebration.

This is the second time my family has had a breakdown. The first was in my sisters 10 Lexus IS.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it's not too serious, and quickly repaired. 4Runners are usually as reliable as the sun. I routinely see them in this area with 200-300K miles on them.

It does lend credence, though, to the idea that at least some of today's Toyota products are more under-built than they used to be. One of my closest friends (my old Flight Instructor from many years ago...we're still friends today), has had two recent Siennas, and has had problems with both of them. Still, as you yourself have pointed out, Toyota (and especially Lexus) are at of near the top of most reliability surveys.
Old 11-05-17, 04:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks.

Yes, it's frustrating as the 4.0 and 5 speed dates back to 05. From what rhet told me on the phone, the stability control came on and check engine light came on and they lost power however the engine was still running. As they waited on the side of the highway, the engine continued to run by when put in D the vehicle would go nowhere.

We shall find out tomorrow what has happened.
Old 11-05-17, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks.

Yes, it's frustrating as the 4.0 and 5 speed dates back to 05. From what rhet told me on the phone, the stability control came on and check engine light came on and they lost power however the engine was still running. As they waited on the side of the highway, the engine continued to run by when put in D the vehicle would go nowhere.

We shall find out tomorrow what has happened.

Hmmm.....sounds to me like a malfunction in the traction-control system (the T/C uses some of the same sensors as the stability control). The T/C works by retarding engine power (or, in some cases, by applying wheel-brakes) when undesirable wheel-rotation (such as wheel-spin on slick surfaces) is detected. If the T/C is stuck on, on dry pavement, when it is not needed, that's exactly what would have happened.....the engine would respond, but not the drive-wheels, and the vehicle would not move. 4Runners, of course, being dedicated off-roaders, also have other similar systems built in for steep grade climbs/descents, which are tied into some of the same sensors.

I won't necessarily try to play Master Technician, though...as you say, they'll figure it out in the shop.
Old 11-05-17, 05:33 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunate situation Jill, but playing Monday morning quarter back... did they try some basic roadside fixes? Turn off the car and then restart? Or try that while switching everything off and then restarting? I suspect a battery issue.
Old 11-05-17, 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Unfortunate situation Jill, but playing Monday morning quarter back... did they try some basic roadside fixes? Turn off the car and then restart? Or try that while switching everything off and then restarting? I suspect a battery issue.
Roadside driver tried restarting and getting it moving. Did not work. Just would restart. My parents are 76 so they didn't bother trying to go anywhere. They just canceled their plans and were dropped off at home.
Old 11-05-17, 05:55 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear about the breakdown.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It does lend credence, though, to the idea that at least some of today's Toyota products are more under-built than they used to be. One of my closest friends (my old Flight Instructor from many years ago...we're still friends today), has had two recent Siennas, and has had problems with both of them. Still, as you yourself have pointed out, Toyota (and especially Lexus) are at of near the top of most reliability surveys.
So, I guess that this is further proof that Consumer Reports and all the Toyota/Lexus fans in this forum are wrong. Toyota & Lexus are not #1 & #2 in reliability, but are, in fact, closer to Fiat (which we all know trails all other automakers in reliability).
Old 11-05-17, 06:07 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Well, it's very baffling. I have yet to see a 4Runner and almost any Toyota product on the back of a tow truck or stranded on the side of a freeway or highway in many years of driving. But the 4Runners from any year are almost never on a tow truck so that's weird. It doesn't sound like it gets driven that much. This sounds more like something you would have heard about a GM product from the 80's, 90's and 2000's, or a German car.
Old 11-05-17, 06:22 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My wife still drives our 2003 4runner. Never a problem. Garage keep most of time and still looks and drives great. But only 70 K miles.
Ours is the sport 4x4 but I still think the newer ones have more electronics that can be a problem. Really not the mechanical stuff that cost you anymore.
Old 11-05-17, 06:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, it's very baffling. I have yet to see a 4Runner and almost any Toyota product on the back of a tow truck or stranded on the side of a freeway or highway in many years of driving. But the 4Runners from any year are almost never on a tow truck so that's weird. It doesn't sound like it gets driven that much. This sounds more like something you would have heard about a GM product from the 80's, 90's and 2000's, or a German car.
Their 4Runner is used for city driving. Almost always driven every day. Never been out of the city from what I understand. They don't go very far when they drive it. They use their Lexus for highway driving and trips to the US.

I have never seen a Toyota on a truck either. Although my sister did have a breakdown.
Old 11-05-17, 06:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RR601
My wife still drives our 2003 4runner. Never a problem. Garage keep most of time and still looks and drives great. But only 70 K miles.
Ours is the sport 4x4 but I still think the newer ones have more electronics that can be a problem. Really not the mechanical stuff that cost you anymore.
From what I understand. The 03 V6 model almost the same as the current models. But I think the 03 V6 used a 4 speed.
Old 11-05-17, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

From what I understand. The 03 V6 model almost the same as the current models. But I think the 03 V6 used a 4 speed.

Previous models, up to 2002, used the 4-speed automatic. The 2003 introduced an Asian-sourced 5-speed.
Old 11-05-17, 06:43 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Their 4Runner is used for city driving. Almost always driven every day. Never been out of the city from what I understand. They don't go very far when they drive it. They use their Lexus for highway driving and trips to the US.
Well, based on that, there's got to be a corroded connection somewhere. Normally with any Japanese vehicle, you see a lot of advance warning about impending issues. They usually don't quit out of the blue with nothing to indicate an issue. It certainly must be disappointing for them, but maybe their service center can provide them with a better picture tomorrow. I am still thinking battery, corroded terminal or loose connection somewhere.
Old 11-05-17, 06:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It certainly must be disappointing for them, but maybe their service center can provide them with a better picture tomorrow. I am still thinking battery, corroded terminal or loose connection somewhere.
How would that kill the power train?

They are not that disappointed when I spoke with them tonight. More annoyed they had to cancel their engagement. Their service dealer should take of them.
Old 11-05-17, 07:05 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

How would that kill the power train?
You'll be shocked at what can easily bring the most sophisticated and the most simple drive trains to a stand still on the side of the road. Toyota 4Runner transmissions and engines are not known for randomly quitting without indicating a SOS long before you get to the side of the highway.

It's an issue that has to be run down with diagnostic codes. I carry a bluetooth plug in with me all the time. Got an issue? I look at it with my smartphone or tablet. There is a trouble code somewhere. Yes, your parents don't know about that and that's fine. The service center will do that. It's not a major transmission issue. 4Runners do not c***p their transmissions.

Quick Reply: 4Runner break down tonight.