Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Getting out in an emergency

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 02:02 PM
gloamin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting out in an emergency

After reading about a 'vette owner dying because the power went out in his car and he didn't know there was a safety release for his door...how do I get out of my NX200t should I lose power or go in the drink? I have window smashing tools, but is there an easier way? Thanks in advance for any reply to this crazy question.
Old 10-18-17, 02:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The front doors on your NX should open from the inside whether the power is on or off, locked or unlocked. No idea what to do if you are in water as I think the pressure will prevent you from opening the door.
Old 10-18-17, 02:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The locks on the NX have a psychical movement should you choose to use them aside from the auto lock button (unlike the new RX which reverted to the old 'Plunger' style').

Iirc if you submerge, the first thing you should do is roll down the windows before the power shorts out. That way there won't be pressure against the door.
Old 10-18-17, 02:50 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The locks on the NX have a psychical movement should you choose to use them aside from the auto lock button (unlike the new RX which reverted to the old 'Plunger' style').

Iirc if you submerge, the first thing you should do is roll down the windows before the power shorts out. That way there won't be pressure against the door.
Didn't OP said, "if power is lost?" Kickin open the windwhield, window, or suroof? In dire emergency it is known human can have super power. If power is still available, keep pushing unlock button, all doors, sun roof will open if enough time is available B4 power is lost.

Last edited by Htony; 10-18-17 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 03:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Didn't OP said, "if power is lost?" Kickin open the windwhield, window, or suroof? In dire emergency it is known human can have super power. If power is still available, keep pushing unlock button, all doors, sun roof will open if enough time is available B4 power is lost.
The NX doors on the front unlock if there is no power
Old 10-18-17, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The issue with the Corvette is the doors were power actuated I believe. As Jill said, the NX has plain ol ordinary doors, pulling the handle will do it whether there is power or not.
Old 10-18-17, 06:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gloamin
After reading about a 'vette owner dying because the power went out in his car and he didn't know there was a safety release for his door...how do I get out of my NX200t should I lose power or go in the drink? I have window smashing tools, but is there an easier way? Thanks in advance for any reply to this crazy question.
1. Doesn't the Corvette have an electronic interior mechanism to open the door?
2. Doesn't the NX have a normal mechanical mechanism to open the door?
Old 10-18-17, 06:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

it has a mechanical latch on the floor similar to how you open the trunk in an older car to use in case the battery fails.

http://www.ibtimes.com/texas-mans-de...s-cars-1963858
Old 10-19-17, 11:51 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I responded to a nearby thread about a week ago on this very topic, and rather than repeat myself, here's a summary:

(1) Carry a window hammer in the glovebox.

(2) IMMEDIATELY remove or cut seatbelts.

(3) IMMEDIATELY smash a side window with the hammer and crawl out.

The Mythbusters show demonstrated that the car will quickly go inverted and everyone inside will panic. Don't wait. And it needs to be a side window; the windshield is too strong.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...***-works.html
Old 10-24-17, 09:24 AM
gloamin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
I responded to a nearby thread about a week ago on this very topic, and rather than repeat myself, here's a summary:

(1) Carry a window hammer in the glovebox.

(2) IMMEDIATELY remove or cut seatbelts.

(3) IMMEDIATELY smash a side window with the hammer and crawl out.

The Mythbusters show demonstrated that the car will quickly go inverted and everyone inside will panic. Don't wait. And it needs to be a side window; the windshield is too strong.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...***-works.html
Thanks to all of you for your replies. My doors lock as soon as the engine turns on (that can be changed, as we all know) and unlock as power goes off or I open the door handle. I carry a window breaker tool and seatbelt cutter, but if the car flips or is under water, who knows if I can get to it? It's all theory at this point, but I believe you are correct, opening the door would suffice, if not under water. Many thanks!
Old 10-24-17, 03:45 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to all of you for your replies. My doors lock as soon as the engine turns on (that can be changed, as we all know) and unlock as power goes off or I open the door handle. I carry a window breaker tool and seatbelt cutter, but if the car flips or is under water, who knows if I can get to it? It's all theory at this point, but I believe you are correct, opening the door would suffice, if not under water. Many thanks!
You. Can. Manually. Unlock. Your. Car. It doesn't matter that the car automatically locks--there is a mechanical lock button. You have nothing to worry about.

/ENDTHREAD
Old 10-24-17, 04:08 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You. Can. Manually. Unlock. Your. Car. It doesn't matter that the car automatically locks--there is a mechanical lock button. You have nothing to worry about.

/ENDTHREAD
But, what if you roll it between two pillars and the doors are jammed!
Old 10-24-17, 10:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
But, what if you roll it between two pillars and the doors are jammed!
Or you accidentally drive through a steel mill and into a huge vat of molten metal, ala Terminator 2????
Old 10-24-17, 11:07 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

uh..... am I missing something here or did you not realize you can pull the handle when engine is on and the door will open (regardless if it auto locks when engine turns on)?