Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best Used Lexus for a New Driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 09:24 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Best Used Lexus for a New Driver

Best Used Lexus for a New Driver
By Brett Foote

A used Lexus makes a great first car for the budding adult in your house. And according to Club Lexus members, these are the top picks for your new driver.
Old 10-11-17, 04:46 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is also a Serious contender, super cheap, extremely reliable, and definitely not hoonable in any way shape or form.
Not mine..
Old 10-14-17, 10:54 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't agree on the ES300 being a great first car.... We have had an 01 ES300 Coach edition in the family for over ten years since 79k miles. Now it's at 194k and has been a pretty penny to maintain. Tranny went out at 188k miles out of the blue so replacing that was not cheap. The entire suspension was replaced at Lexus around 160k that also cost several thousand. Only reason we decided to invest money into it is because it's in such clean cosmetic condition and it would sell for nothing compared to what's already been invested in it maintenance wise.

The car is a V6 Camry and that generation Camry is known for crappy Auto trannies and weak suspension setups. That's why parts are so expensive for them, because they are in high demand.

Go see how much a used auto costs for anything running a 2JZGE or a 1UZ.... $150-250. A used auto trans for an ES is $1,000+ and MUCH more labor intensive to replace due to having to drop the subframe, etc.

I recommend anything with a V8 if you're getting a used Lexus. All their FWD platforms are way more problematic especially at 150k+ miles on the used market.

Good cars, but far from "super reliable".
Old 10-14-17, 10:57 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

That is a shame, 97-SC300. Our 1995 ES 300 has been passed down from my Dad, to me, to my brother, and then to a relative and it's still running well and had excellent reliability with none of the issues of the later ES model. The wife's 2006 ES 330 is going on 12 years with only an alternator being replaced outside of typical maintenance.

Although I didn't care for the second-gen GS when it debuted 20 years ago, I must say the styling has held up very well and I prefer it more now than back then. That said, as much as I like Lexus V8s, I don't know if it is wise to grant a V8 to a new driver. Not sure how mature this new driver is but even I couldn't resist opening the throttle on the LS 430 and 460 and I'm almost 40-years-old. Would hate to see a new driver get into an accident due to that V8. Of course, you also want the driver to be in a safe vehicle and not a Pepsi-can econobox. Like Uncle Ben always said, with great power comes great responsibility. Pretty awesome to get a Lexus as a first car. I remember drooling over a friend's 16th birthday gift when her parents bought her a new 1995 Accord LX. Not sure the age of OP's new driver, but around these neck of the woods the new drivers are getting Bimmers and luxury nameplates. Oh how times have changed/progressed and wouldn't it be great to grow up during this time.
Old 10-14-17, 11:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I don't agree on the ES300 being a great first car.... We have had an 01 ES300 Coach edition in the family for over ten years since 79k miles. Now it's at 194k and has been a pretty penny to maintain. Tranny went out at 188k miles out of the blue so replacing that was not cheap. The entire suspension was replaced at Lexus around 160k that also cost several thousand. Only reason we decided to invest money into it is because it's in such clean cosmetic condition and it would sell for nothing compared to what's already been invested in it maintenance wise.

The car is a V6 Camry and that generation Camry is known for crappy Auto trannies and weak suspension setups. That's why parts are so expensive for them, because they are in high demand.

Go see how much a used auto costs for anything running a 2JZGE or a 1UZ.... $150-250. A used auto trans for an ES is $1,000+ and MUCH more labor intensive to replace due to having to drop the subframe, etc.

I recommend anything with a V8 if you're getting a used Lexus. All their FWD platforms are way more problematic especially at 150k+ miles on the used market.

Weird, you've had problems with your 2001 ES300. Our family has a 2000 Avalon, over 250k on it now, still doing daily commute duty. Never a problem with the transmission, still shifts like a new car, runs like a new car. Suspension, never had a problem with it either, not a single weird creak/groan, although you can tell the shocks are worn, it is a bit floaty over the bumps, like an old Town Car. I think the biggest problems we've had were the a/c compressor and the cat converter(not cheap, might have been replaced twice, maybe due to a cheap aftermarket part).

As for a good Lexus for a new driver, I'd say the LX is the best. Big, safe, doesn't encourage you to drive like a maniac. Might encourage off road shennaigans/get beat up if you or people you know have property or live near off road trails. Hell if it was kind of beat up/cosmetics are crap, I'd buy some mud tires and go wheeling with my kid in the Lexus.
Old 10-15-17, 10:21 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are talking about an used Lexus for a new driver, so just buy a newest ES possible that you can afford. It’s easy to drive, safe, good on gas, reliable etc.
A LX is too big, and giving a new driver a RWD is generally a bad idea, so GS shouldn’t be a first best choice.
Old 10-15-17, 12:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Weird, you've had problems with your 2001 ES300. Our family has a 2000 Avalon, over 250k on it now, still doing daily commute duty. Never a problem with the transmission, still shifts like a new car, runs like a new car. Suspension, never had a problem with it either, not a single weird creak/groan, although you can tell the shocks are worn, it is a bit floaty over the bumps, like an old Town Car. I think the biggest problems we've had were the a/c compressor and the cat converter(not cheap, might have been replaced twice, maybe due to a cheap aftermarket part).

As for a good Lexus for a new driver, I'd say the LX is the best. Big, safe, doesn't encourage you to drive like a maniac. Might encourage off road shennaigans/get beat up if you or people you know have property or live near off road trails. Hell if it was kind of beat up/cosmetics are crap, I'd buy some mud tires and go wheeling with my kid in the Lexus.
We also had two Avalons in the family, a 97 XL and a 2000 XLS. Never had any trans issues with those cars and got rid of both at over 165k miles (the 00 was totalled while the 97 we sold because it was rotting underneath).... but the 2000-2001 ES300 uses a different trans.

Those Avalons run a A541E while the 99-03 ES ran a U140E.

It is well documented that those models have trans problems, not an isolated issues.
Old 10-15-17, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Reliability is all about perception. I think complaining that a “transmission went out for no reason at 188k” is an astonishing statement. 188,000 miles, anything failing is understandable IMHO.

I’ve talked about not buying used luxury vehicles for kids, but I absolutely wouldn’t buy a RWD model for a kid to drive.
Old 10-15-17, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Reliability is all about perception. I think complaining that a “transmission went out for no reason at 188k” is an astonishing statement. 188,000 miles, anything failing is understandable IMHO.
Agreed. I think it's ludicrous to complain about ANY automotive component going 188K miles without a failure. I know this generally doesn't apply to today's cars, but, when I learned to drive in the 1960s (the durable Chrysler Slant-Six motors and Torqueflite automatics were an exception) if you got 90-100K out of something before it was junked, that was considered a good life.

I’ve talked about not buying used luxury vehicles for kids, but I absolutely wouldn’t buy a RWD model for a kid to drive.
With the continuing proliferation of self-guiding features, when your kids get old enough to drive, a big question will be if, among new cars (used ones, of course, are another matter), people will still be actually driving cars at all LOL.
Old 10-15-17, 11:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
We are talking about an used Lexus for a new driver, so just buy a newest ES possible that you can afford. It’s easy to drive, safe, good on gas, reliable etc.
A LX is too big, and giving a new driver a RWD is generally a bad idea, so GS shouldn’t be a first best choice.
LX is pretty small IMO. Compare it to a Suburban, Expedition, Excursion, 4 door crew cab pickups that a lot of soccer moms drive, its pretty handy in terms of size. Besides the model I'm really talking about is the slightly smaller, cheaper 2nd gen(1998ish to 2006ish) LX, basically Land Cruiser with a different front clip/headlights. They are kind of pricey(along with the Land Cruiser) for what you get compared to other SUV's of that era.
Old 10-16-17, 06:18 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

Wow didn't know about these cars and transmission problems but I'd definitely keep it in mind. I Was expecting miles far past 180k on a Lexus, because as you said the rear wheel drive platforms are far known for consistently exceeding the 200k mark.
Old 10-16-17, 06:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You absolutely can exceed 200k miles. My ES300 is still on the road and in the family with 196,000 miles. The point is that at that mileage, nothing is guaranteed. Thats also the case of the RWD platforms, you can find transmission failures there too.

The cars are very reliable but nothing lasts forever, and 180k miles is "very old" for any car. If the engine or transmission blew up in my ES300 tomorrow I would say "such is life" and suggest to my aunt she sell it for parts and move on. To think somehow that failure on a car with 196k at 15 years old is a failure of quality of its original manufacturer is completely unreasonable IMHO.

Again, suspension replacement at 160k miles? Not surprising or abnormal at all IMHO. I would never have it done at Lexus though...
Old 10-16-17, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You absolutely can exceed 200k miles. My ES300 is still on the road and in the family with 196,000 miles. The point is that at that mileage, nothing is guaranteed. Thats also the case of the RWD platforms, you can find transmission failures there too.

The cars are very reliable but nothing lasts forever, and 180k miles is "very old" for any car. If the engine or transmission blew up in my ES300 tomorrow I would say "such is life" and suggest to my aunt she sell it for parts and move on. To think somehow that failure on a car with 196k at 15 years old is a failure of quality of its original manufacturer is completely unreasonable IMHO.
With that kind of mileage on the clock, I'm sure your ES300 had regular oil changes. Certain model-years of the 3.0L V6 (not necessarily all) were very unforgiving of delays in changing the oil. If you didn't do it by the book (or very close to the book), you got serious sludge or gel.

Again, suspension replacement at 160k miles? Not surprising or abnormal at all IMHO. I would never have it done at Lexus though...
Road-conditions can make a big difference in how long suspensions last. The moon-crater roads of Michigan and the Snow Belt, for instance, are often far more punishing than the glass-smooth roads of the Deep South, where it rarely gets conditions where road-salt is needed. I used to regularly drive to Ohio from D.C., for instance, and, once you got west of the mountains, the deterioration in the road surface was noticeable. The PA Turnpike was usually in decent shape, but only because they were diligent in keeping it repaired, and had a dedicated revenue-source for it from the tolls.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-16-17 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 06:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With that kind of mileage on the clock, I'm sure your ES300 had regular oil changes. Certain model-years of the 3.0L V6 (not necessarily all) were very unforgiving of delays in changing the oil. If you didn't do it by the book (or very close to the book), you got serious sludge or gel.
The sludging issue was on the 97-01 3ES model, while my 03 has the same engine I don't recall ever hearing about a sludge issue on the 4ES. But yeah, its had regular oil changes. Synthetic.

Road-conditions can make a big difference in how long suspensions last. The moon-crater roads of Michigan and the Snow Belt, for instance, are often far more punishing than the glass-smooth roads of the Deep South, where it rarely gets conditions where road-salt is needed. I used to regularly drive to Ohio, for instance, and, once you got west of the mountains, the deterioration in the road surface was noticeable. The PA Turnpike was usually in decent shape, but only because they were diligent in keeping it repaired, and had a dedicated revenue-source for it from the tolls.
For sure. I had the control arms replaced in it at around 160,000 miles when I sold it to my aunt, it was only 7 years old then and I didn't think that was unusual or troublesome for its mileage at all. I also replaced the dogbone engine mount which was also a common issue.

Lexus quoted me $4,300 for that suspension work and I had it done for $1,100 with OEM parts so like I said, don't take an old car to Lexus.
Old 10-28-17, 06:54 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One vote for 2nd Gen Lexus GS - 300 if the newbie is a lead-foot, 400 if you trust them a bit more.

Quick Reply: Best Used Lexus for a New Driver