Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My 2018 Buick LaCrosse, So Far, so Good.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you refer to the Buick logo routinely as the "tri-shield" I would say you worship the brand lol.
Nope...you would say wrong on this one. I'm a car enthusiast. I don't worship any one brand. I do happen to like a number of Buick, Lincoln, Chevy, Genesis, Lexus, and Audi models...just like you happen to like the Lexus LS, Range Rover, and Chrysler Pacifica.
In fact, there are some Amercian-market Buicks I'm not terribly impressed with. I'm drawn to the current-generation Lacrosse, though, because it may (?) just be the last chance to get a traditional big American Buick sedan before they become extinct. And if if does become extinct, I'll just choose something else next time. The MKZ is a nice car...so is the Cadenza, G80, ES350, and several other competitiors.

Not a lot of casual BMW owners refer to the logo as the "roundel".
No...they just talk about the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

The BMW symbol, with its blue and white circle-sectors, is actually a representation of an airplane propeller....BMW made aircraft engines from some of the earliest decades of aviation, and helped pioneer fuel-injection in aircraft engines, which helped overcome the problems of fuel-delivery in high-G conditions and sharp turns.
Old 09-15-17, 04:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The BMW symbol, with its blue and white circle-sectors, is actually a representation of an airplane propeller....BMW made aircraft engines from some of the earliest decades of aviation, and helped pioneer fuel-injection in aircraft engines, which helped overcome the problems of fuel-delivery in high-G conditions and sharp turns.
That's actually coincidence. The blue and white actually represents the flag of Bavaria.

Below is the advertisement that ignited the controversy and many people for decades believed what you mentioned in your comment.

Lots of online resources but here's a Source
Old 09-15-17, 04:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Okie dokie
Old 09-15-17, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's actually coincidence. The blue and white actually represents the flag of Bavaria.

Below is the advertisement that ignited the controversy and many people for decades believed what you mentioned in your comment.

The source of the word "Jeep" also has more than one origin...but most historians credit it to a corruption of the "GP" or "General Purpose" military vehicle of WWII. Same with the BMW logo. Most credit it to aircraft engines, but, yes, what you posted also has merit.
Old 09-15-17, 05:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO it's both (spinner and flag). This is the Bavarian State flag. So BMW's aviation history would have had a role with the Roundel too. Colors of the flag and the Roundel's seeming spinning of what could be an aircraft propeller.

Old 09-15-17, 08:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Very pleased wth the gas mileage (on 87 octane) from this big V6 so far .....seems to get better with each tankful (I'm on the third one now, and each one gets better by about 1 MPG or so). I'm averaging 23 MPG in suburban stop and go driving...better than my smaller, lighter, less-powerful four-cylinder Verano did, which averaged about 21 under the same conditions. The new 9-speed auto and stop/start system definitely helps save fuel. I have no doubt I will get 30 or more on the road.......heck, I did that with the Verano.The Verano, though, had a less-efficient 6-speed auto, and had a lot of weight for its size from the stout, sturdy construction and many layers of sound-deadening. The Lacrosse, according to Buick, uses newer, lighter methods of sound-deadening....and they seem to work.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-15-17 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-16-17, 04:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what did he think of his Verano? As you know, I was quite pleased with mine, though Buick could have made the tires and suspension a little more compliant on rough surfaces, at least in cold weather when they tend to be stiff....and the 6-speed transmission had a few hiccups here and there on braking and low-speed acceleration.

His Verano was OK. Nice small car. I test drove one for fun, I didn't think it was as word renowned as you make it out to be. The Buick Regal he has is much nicer. Aside for the color of white that does not stand out, my biggest impression is that it has very good initial quality.

Very pleased wth the gas mileage (on 87 octane) from this big V6 so far .....seems to get better with each tankful (I'm on the third one now, and each one gets better by about 1 MPG or so). I'm averaging 23 MPG in suburban stop and go driving...better than my smaller, lighter, less-powerful four-cylinder Verano did, which averaged about 21 under the same conditions.
Hopefully you will get up to 25 MPG combined.
Old 09-16-17, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
His Verano was OK. Nice small car. I test drove one for fun, I didn't think it was as word renowned as you make it out to be. The Buick Regal he has is much nicer. Aside for the color of white that does not stand out, my biggest impression is that it has very good initial quality.
Yes......all of the Opel-derived Buicks are well-built. Their good reliability record confirms that. I don't necessarily consider the Verano world-renowned. It's simply a very well-built compact sedan with plush, heavily-padded, comfy seats and a very quiet ride for a car of that size, from the weight-adding sound insulation. But the cold-weather ride comfort on sharp bumps, stop-and-go gas mileage from that weight, rear seat room, transmission-programming on downshifts, power-seat controls (the rake-adjustment is manual, even on power seats, with a hard-to-reach pull-lever), and a few other small issues could be improved. Like I've said many times, there is no such thing as a perfect car.

Hopefully you will get up to 25 MPG combined.
I'm still on the break-in....MPG steadily improving. It's already quite good for a vehicle with this size and engine (which is nice, since Hurricanes Harvey and Rita drove up gas-prices at the Pump..though they still aren't bad in the D.C. area). Keep your fingers crossed for that 25 combined.....though many of the general traffic conditions in this area are somewhat closer to City driving than classic suburban. I usually drive in the middle of the day (from 10 AM to 4 PM) and try to avoid peak-traffic, which, in this area, is probably second only to Los Angeles as the worst in the country.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-16-17 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-16-17, 10:29 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm glad to hear you finally got your car and enjoying it in good health
Old 09-16-17, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I'm glad to hear you finally got your car and enjoying it in good health
Thanks. Yep...good health is certainly a factor. Both of my knees (the injured one and the arthritic one) have made astounding improvement in the last year, and I've lost some weight. But I'm not going to push my luck on the treadmill or by trying to walk long distances. I swim every day, though (indoors, of course, from September to May), and that has been great exercise for my whole body, not just legs and feet.
Old 09-16-17, 12:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I'm still on the break-in....MPG steadily improving.
i thought you quoted that break in was 200mi. and you're on the 3rd tank of gas so obviously way beyond 200mi?
Old 09-16-17, 01:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i thought you quoted that break in was 200mi. and you're on the 3rd tank of gas so obviously way beyond 200mi?
Incorrect. I said that Buick, in the Owners' Manual, considers 500 miles a break-in (in fact, I posted it right out of the Manual). And, on fill-ups, I usually don't let the tank-level get much below one-quarter-to-one-half full. Gas prices, (not surprisingly), went up quite rapidly after Harvey and Irma..so, of course, the more you keep your tank filled (within reason), the more you save on the next fill-up. (I also get discounts on Shell gas from my Giant Food bonus card for grocery-shopping). Fortunately, we haven't seen any real price gouging here in the D.C. area....but the rise was significant.

Granted, though with a new car, and a brand-new gas tank that doesn't have any water or crud in the bottom, keeping it filled up is less important than with an old and/or dirty tank. But even with new tanks, depending on their design, low fuel levels in the tank can either leave the fuel pump uncovered or allow sloshing gas in the tank to un-port fuel passages during cornering. I make a habit of keeping the tank reasonably full....I can't remember the last time the yellow/orange gas warning light ever came on for real on a car I actually owned, though I've occasionally gotten it on cars I was reviewing.