Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hell Cat Fatalities

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
We're talking about forward visibility now.
OK...gotcha. Didn't notice that at first. Yes...the long pony-car hoods (especially combined with the Challenger's relatively high stance off the ground) doesn't do visibility a lot of good.

People don't buy these cars for practicality, though. Many Charger/Challenger buyers, especially with the Hemis up front, are basically re-living their youth. Although they obviously can't verify it now, I'd bet the monthly rent those two Grandpas killed in that Hellcat were trying to do just that.

And...just look at the number of Chargers and Challengers you see here in the D.C. area. Chrysler really hit on a nail with these cars (more so than with GM or Ford)....especially with the retro-styling and lollipop-paint colors/graphics, they are obviously appealing to a lot of people who, like me, grew up with the originals in the late 1960s....except that, back then, I also liked Buicks LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-17 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 07:18 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
My point on the brakes is simple, better brakes can help in an emergency

It seems like in this case, the guy driving didn't know the car or the site

The Hellcat passenger lost his life as did Paul Walker, when out for a ride with someone else
So how is it the fault of the car?
Old 09-13-17, 11:15 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

These guys were obviously idiots or too damn old to be out there in the first place. Maybe a combination of both.

I'd bet you a $100 bill they didn't scout the site, didn't drive down the runway at a safe speed a couple of times, didn't figure out where they needed to hit the brakes at, didn't find any point of reference on where to hit the brakes(ie a runway marker, line on the runway, a sign, a tree, whatever). I'm betting they just gave it hell at one end and kept their foot to the floor until they figured out at 180+mph OH **** WE ARE OUT OF ROAD!!!!!!

I don't get why the OP has such an ax to grind with Chrysler, as this was an obvious case of driver error. IMO these modern 500+hp cars are a lot safer than they used to be, they have stuff like traction control, stability control, ABS, great brakes, modern tire technology, modern suspension tech/good handling.

Back in the day, nobody had a 500+hp car that ran 10 second quarter miles unless they built it themselves. And Jim Bob Cooter's 1979 Malibu quasi street legal drag car was as only as safe as Jim Bob Cooter built it. I'd say a new Challenger is a lot safer than Jim Bob Cooter's 1979 Malibu that he occasionally drove on the street to the car show and drag strip.
Old 09-14-17, 04:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Which is it?
i think you misread the post... he said the driver was responsible, the passenger was not.
Old 09-14-17, 05:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
tex, guns are designed for killing

Watch few ads for Hellcats, one includes the phrase, may impair your ability to obey the rules
And the Hellcat is designed for driving 35 mpg down a residential street?

Obey the rules? Even if we accept the premise that guns are designed for killing--what about "rules" (laws) against doing that? Rules alone don't cut it.

Each person is responsible for their own actions.

Last edited by tex2670; 09-14-17 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
These guys were obviously idiots or too damn old to be out there in the first place. Maybe a combination of both.
Age alone does not necessarily disqualify one from fast driving. Tell that to Roger Penske, A. J. Foyt, Richard Petty, or the late Carrol Shelby....in their 80s, they could probably still drive better on a track than the average kid in his 20s. But, yes, on the average, with age, reflexes slow, eyesight and hearing fade, reaction time lengthens, joint-motion is more difficult, and co-ordination is no longer the same. Those who ignore the warning signs sometimes pay the price.
Old 09-14-17, 07:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 09-14-17, 08:57 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
So how is it the fault of the car?
Obviously, duh. It is definitely not the operator's fault for not knowing how to properly use the equipment. The car obviously sped up by itself to an uncontrollable speed and then cut the brakes so that the drivers couldn't stop.

Aren't knives designed to cut things, too? Somehow we manage to use it to prepare food and open boxes instead of people's torso. What a trickery.

Old 09-14-17, 07:32 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do some research about this airport and its customers, you will find out that it's a pretty richy-rich clientele and there is a lot of money floating around. There is a pic of the driver of this Hellcat from a few years back spraying fire retardant on his big acreage in front of his mansion in the area.

This is a hobby airport for a lot of concentrated wealth which includes multi-million dollar restored P-51 Mustangs from WWII and of course restored muscle cars. And people at this airport fly in and out in multi-million dollar private jets that look like regional commuter jets. Big money.

I would be curious now if the local cabal is going to be accountable to the FAA/transportation authorities for allowing a runway closure for speed thrill-seeking guys. Why is the local sheriff so sympathetic to these guys? If it was anyone else, you would be hearing a lot of shouting and yelling about outrageous behaviour and risky thrill seeking.
Old 09-14-17, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Big money.
Big money doesn't always mean big sense.
Old 09-14-17, 08:22 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

maybe they fell asleep at the wheel...had heart attacks/strokes...not including length of skidmarks makes this article sketchy to analyze...

but anyone who has driven over 140+ mph knows most off the lot cars start to float and braking can be scary...well at least I do.
Old 09-15-17, 08:52 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Has anyone checked to see what kind of life insurance these geezers were carrying? And whether they had terminal cancer? I suspect there is more to this story than just, "Oops!"
Old 09-15-17, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
Has anyone checked to see what kind of life insurance these geezers were carrying? And whether they had terminal cancer? I suspect there is more to this story than just, "Oops!"
Why would they commit suicide? First, they wouldn't be collecting any money for themselves...they would be dead. Second, some insurance companies won't pay out for a self-inflicted death....or even, in some cases, for a homicide. So, even their beneficiaries may or may not actually collect any payoffs.
Old 09-15-17, 11:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Most insurance companies will pay for a suicide or homicide after the policy is seasoned, meaning no longer a new policy (2-3 years)

It's not at all uncommon for people who have terminal diseases to commit suicide. Why would they care about collecting money if they're dead? Families and dependents.
Old 09-15-17, 11:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

interesting thought... go out with a bang... provide for heirs...

Quick Reply: Hell Cat Fatalities