Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have you ever driven a military vehicle . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 02:38 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Have you ever driven a military vehicle . . . .

Just curious, as a buddy of mine just bought an old ****** Jeep that served in northern France and western Germany during the war. Its one of those old Jeeps that's had maybe one or two repaints, always kept as a sort of collector type vehicle after the war. Mechanically it had been completely rebuilt by its former owner back in 2005, its just one of those old vehicles that isn't 100% correct, but has the original engine, gearbox, body, you know its nice, not rusty, but not perfect. Perhaps my favorite thing is the huge bullet hole through the fender and dashboard, looks like it might have hit the poor sap riding shotgun.

Anyways, I drove this old Jeep around on his farm, in the field, up a muddy hill in 4-low, I must say this thing is damn awesome off-road. It still has those original style tires/wheels on it, which gives it that real period, its in service vibe. Damn thing is a billy-goat off road, yet it isn't a total pig on the road either. No power steering, cable clutch, no vacuum asissted power brakes in this beast, everything is manual. Yes it requires a bit more effort, but none of the controls are stupidly heavy, clutch is reasonable, steering is heavy in the mud but you have a big steering wheel for leverage, brakes do stop the Jeep in a hurry IMO(its the light weight as to why the brakes are so good IMO). Its also pretty stable driving at its top speed of around 50mph.

Last edited by Aron9000; 08-22-17 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-22-17, 04:42 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

As a Marine I drove everything they had. I was a mechanic, and worked on the Jeeps once. We took the old Jeeps and turned them into Fast Attack vehicles. Changed suspension, infrared lights, tires, rims, and welded roll cages etc. They looked like Jeep dune buggies when we were done. 18hr days for 2-3 weeks to get them done. We used to drive them around at night when we were done. They were pretty quick when we were done with them. Did this in 1994 or 1995 maybe.

Used to beat the dog snot out of the HMMWV's. Got them stuck in many things. Broke several of them. If you jump one over a tank trail hill without putting on the rear crossmember, the transmission and transfer case can fall right out. Ask me how I know. Also if you jump a tank trail hill and water is on the other side, the fan will explode into a million pieces. They are good for smashing into trees with the brush guard though...And mud. They are good in mud.

I have forded plenty of rivers, and we have even done lakes in both the Hummers and 5 tons and even LVS's. I witnessed a friend have to hold his head out of an LVS to breathe while driving through a pond in the back of our shop. Great times.
Old 08-22-17, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Just curious, as a buddy of mine just bought an old ****** Jeep that served in northern France and western Germany during the war. Its one of those old Jeeps that's had maybe one or two repaints, always kept as a sort of collector type vehicle after the war. Mechanically it had been completely rebuilt by its former owner back in 2005, its just one of those old vehicles that isn't 100% correct, but has the original engine, gearbox, body, you know its nice, not rusty, but not perfect. Perhaps my favorite thing is the huge bullet hole through the fender and dashboard, looks like it might have hit the poor sap riding shotgun.

Anyways, I drove this old Jeep around on his farm, in the field, up a muddy hill in 4-low, I must say this thing is damn awesome off-road. It still has those original style tires/wheels on it, which gives it that real period, its in service vibe. Damn thing is a billy-goat off road, yet it isn't a total pig on the road either. No power steering, cable clutch, no vacuum asissted power brakes in this beast, everything is manual. Yes it requires a bit more effort, but none of the controls are stupidly heavy, clutch is reasonable, steering is heavy in the mud but you have a big steering wheel for leverage, brakes do stop the Jeep in a hurry IMO(its the light weight as to why the brakes are so good IMO). Its also pretty stable driving at its top speed of around 50mph.
Does it have synchros for the manual transmission? On a lot of vehicles of that vintage, one must learn either the art of double-clutching or heel-and-toe shifting (depending on the pedal-locations) to keep from crunching the gears every time one shifts. Also, I hope your friend is aware of the fact that, unlike modern vehicles, vintage vehicles like that have numerous underbody lubrication-points that should be hit with a grease-gun with each oil change.
Old 08-22-17, 07:08 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I had two mos's in the army, 19D, and 14S. I definitely drove military vehicles.
Old 08-22-17, 08:12 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
As a Marine I drove everything they had. I was a mechanic, and worked on the Jeeps once. We took the old Jeeps and turned them into Fast Attack vehicles. Changed suspension, infrared lights, tires, rims, and welded roll cages etc. They looked like Jeep dune buggies when we were done. 18hr days for 2-3 weeks to get them done. We used to drive them around at night when we were done. They were pretty quick when we were done with them. Did this in 1994 or 1995 maybe.

Used to beat the dog snot out of the HMMWV's. Got them stuck in many things. Broke several of them. If you jump one over a tank trail hill without putting on the rear crossmember, the transmission and transfer case can fall right out. Ask me how I know. Also if you jump a tank trail hill and water is on the other side, the fan will explode into a million pieces. They are good for smashing into trees with the brush guard though...And mud. They are good in mud.

I have forded plenty of rivers, and we have even done lakes in both the Hummers and 5 tons and even LVS's. I witnessed a friend have to hold his head out of an LVS to breathe while driving through a pond in the back of our shop. Great times.
You guys sound like a blast to have around when it comes to off-roading.
Old 08-23-17, 09:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Does it have synchros for the manual transmission? On a lot of vehicles of that vintage, one must learn either the art of double-clutching or heel-and-toe shifting (depending on the pedal-locations) to keep from crunching the gears every time one shifts. Also, I hope your friend is aware of the fact that, unlike modern vehicles, vintage vehicles like that have numerous underbody lubrication-points that should be hit with a grease-gun with each oil change.
First wasn't syncroed, but 2nd and 3rd were I think. He told me don't go to first unless you are stopped, but just driving around, shifting 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd, it never ground. Transmission was pretty easy to figure out, despite the throws being a mile long. 1st was only good to 10-15mph in high range anyways, you could easily start in 2nd on level ground in high range. 1st was more useful if you had this thing loaded down, towing an artillery piece, in 4-lo doing some serious off road work, you really didn't need it driving on the street.

Main thing I loved about his Jeep was how small and maneuverable it was on this narrow *** trail we went down through the woods on his property. It would have been a struggle with one of these newer "midsized" rigs like a late model Tacoma, pretty sure a Ford Raptor wouldn't make it due to it being too wide. He has one of those Kawaskai Mules or 4 wheelers he normally runs through this wide spot in the woods.

Last edited by Aron9000; 08-23-17 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 05:06 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I have driven just about everything the Army had to offer, from route clearance MRAP's to M88 Hercules' to M1A1's. Been blown up in most of them too.
Old 08-24-17, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I have driven just about everything the Army had to offer, from route clearance MRAP's to M88 Hercules' to M1A1's. Been blown up in most of them too.
I was waiting for you to post, Josh.....I knew you would have something to say.
Old 08-25-17, 06:58 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Me too 3522 MOS

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-27-17 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Darn. 18-hour days. Sounds like the Marine Corps reputation for toughness extends to mechanics as well.
Old 08-26-17, 01:17 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Me too 3522 MOS
3522 here as well. 93-97 MTM Co 2nd Maint Bn.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-27-17 at 06:53 AM.