Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 02:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i think the 'ladder' looks a lot better. thanks.
so in a sense, this really is more just a big camry now.
Old 01-15-18, 02:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the 'ladder' looks a lot better. thanks.
so in a sense, this really is more just a big camry now.
interiors dont look comparable at all... plus V6 Camry is already pretty expensive. I guess now we know why.
Old 01-15-18, 02:43 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Interestingly enough, there are two trims: sports with the black maw and the normal with the bars (just like the Camry). The ladder looks a lot more inline with traditional Avalon design.

if they option them like the Camry then likely this is the Hybrid/Luxury vs the Sport look..

The new Camry has the SE/XSE which is the sport and the LE/XLE which is the Luxury, and the Hybrid uses the Luxury parts. I suspect the Avalon will follow suit.
Old 01-15-18, 03:08 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm officially done with Toyota...... speechless here.
Old 01-15-18, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Seniors are mainly the only ones who can realistically afford to buy nicer cars these days. 45-55 is way too young and is not the age bracket who is going to buy a car like a Avalon or larger more expensive comfy sedan. 44-55 is the age bracket for a Camry.

What is wrong with car designers these days or car companies forcing them to design some of these monstrosities, especially the big ugly grills/maws. New Avalon looks terrible, like a transformer in mid change, it will likely turn older buyers off who want a simpler more elegant design and also don't want to deal with annoying touchscreen interfaces.
Agreed on both counts.....although statistics show that most people have the most money to spend just before retirement, in the late 50s or so. In that period, they have been working and saving for decades, but have not (yet) taken the income-cut that comes with retirement.

Also agreed on the styling. Toyota, IMO, needs to take some lessons from VW or Audi on how to put in a little more restraint.
Old 01-15-18, 03:47 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder what potential buyers are going to think about that ski ramp that juts out in the middle of the interior.

Look at the butt sticking out at the bottom of the rear of this car. Yikes!

The amazing part in all of this is, that all the front part of the car with that gigantic maw is not for cooling purposes - it's all just a bunch of black plastic hiding the bumper and it's all mostly closed off. I predict the few buyers for this car pretty much getting a good portion of that front end painted to match body color. Something similar happened when Acura put out its hideous beak grill.
Old 01-15-18, 03:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

and why the quad exhausts?
Old 01-15-18, 04:36 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I like this version of the grille, with the chrome surround, better than the Touring version below.

Old 01-15-18, 04:39 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and why the quad exhausts?
the funny part is on the Camry quad exhaust, is the outside pipe on both sides is a dummy non-functional pipe. it's there for looks and nothing more.. if you look into it, it is simply welded to the muffler but there is no opening from the muffler.

hard to tell in the above video, but it kind of seems the Avalon is the same, though it could be a pipe that is coming off the inside pipe that has a hard turn and gives the appearance of being closed off.
Old 01-15-18, 04:45 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG

I kinda dig this view of the vehicle...., and that's about it. Everything else's awful, especially the front end; interior looks cheap, and that navigation screen with the plastic chrome buttons Who approves designs like that? Toyota does one step forward(Camry), then two steps back.
Old 01-15-18, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

That Touring grille makes me want to spit out my French Roast LOL.
Old 01-15-18, 04:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Why stop with just the front of the car, make the hood also a grille. Toyota needs to put down the shrooms.
Old 01-15-18, 04:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I like this version of the grille, with the chrome surround, better than the Touring version below.
Me too.
However, overall I think the new mouth is still too big, and I prefer the old style; still a big gape, but not quite as big.
The numerous sharp lines may age fast.

The interior is a step up.
Old 01-15-18, 05:35 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I like it alot overall. The only thing I really do not like is that gigantic grille in the front. Looks okay in the XLE trim with the chrome bezel and bars, but the all black mesh version just looks silly.

I feel like the Avalon has an identity crisis. What is this thing supposed to be? Who is it marketed for?

I was under the impression that it's for older people that like a big car and nice ride? We had two avalons in the family for nearly a decade and back then those cars were the definition of a reliable grandpa car. Now I don't know what this thing is.
Old 01-15-18, 05:51 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

"Like better" is a relative term. Eww.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon