Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GMC/Chevy's reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 12:22 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Default GMC/Chevy's reverse lights

Does anyone else find this feature very annoying? I see this a few times on the newer GMC (or maybe Chevy). When the car is parked or turned off, the reverse lights light up, and when I walk by I thought the car is trying to reverse. This is especially a problem in busy parking lots because I can't really hear the engine (probably bigger issue if this feature is on an EV) . I don't know which engineer thought it's a good idea to use the reverse lights to light the surroundings when it's a universal indicator of the car backing up.
Old 07-01-17, 12:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Funny you mention it, I noticed this the other day on a new GM vehicle in a parking lot. I wasn't sure what they were doing as I was headed back to my car (reversing, sitting etc..).
Old 07-01-17, 12:48 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Yes I find it very annoying, especially in parking lots. I recall this getting mentioned in a thread a few months ago. My Buick and camaro do it too. Wish I could program it not to.
Old 07-01-17, 01:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Yes I find it very annoying, especially in parking lots. I recall this getting mentioned in a thread a few months ago. My Buick and camaro do it too. Wish I could program it not to.
Does it happen when you have the ignition shut off? Some people just sit there with the engine off and ignition on....although some GM cars (my Verano included) keep some circuits open until the ignition is not only shut off, but the key is actually out of the ignition, or the drivers' door opened.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-01-17 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-01-17, 01:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think I would agree with the idea that these lights make no sense. I would say that it is a safety issue.
Old 07-01-17, 01:22 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Does it happen when you have the ignition shut off? Some people just sit there with the engine off and ignition on....although some GM cars (my Verano included) keep some circuits open until the ignition is not only shut off, but the key is actually out of the ignition, or the drivers' door opened.
key out, open the door. Comes on when the go homing lights come on. Also does when locking, or unlocking the doors with the key fob.
Old 07-01-17, 02:12 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Does anyone else find this feature very annoying? I see this a few times on the newer GMC (or maybe Chevy). When the car is parked or turned off, the reverse lights light up, and when I walk by I thought the car is trying to reverse. This is especially a problem in busy parking lots because I can't really hear the engine (probably bigger issue if this feature is on an EV) . I don't know which engineer thought it's a good idea to use the reverse lights to light the surroundings when it's a universal indicator of the car backing up.
I know that GM's remote locking system is strange. When you lock the car with the fob, the lights flash, including the reverse lights. Yes, this is very annoying and can be scary in a crowded parking lot to suddenly see the reverse lights go on.
Old 07-01-17, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Yes, I HATE that.
Old 07-01-17, 05:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes, I've been bringing this up in forums since 2005 when it first started. A safety hazard, no question. Rear lighting should only do duty for stop, night, and reverse. I thought there was was a law on that, along the same lines as to why blue headlights and clear blinkers are illegal. GM should be fined for this hazard. I think I even read Walmart was getting complaints from so many customers, they brought it up to corporate.
Old 07-02-17, 10:55 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah its stupid, GM cars/trucks have been like this for the past 7, 8, maybe 10 years. Push the unlock button on the fob, the reverse lights(and maybe the headlights) come on. Somebody walking to their car and pushes unlock on the fob, looks like they're about to back out of their space.
Old 07-02-17, 12:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yeah its stupid, GM cars/trucks have been like this for the past 7, 8, maybe 10 years. Push the unlock button on the fob, the reverse lights(and maybe the headlights) come on. Somebody walking to their car and pushes unlock on the fob, looks like they're about to back out of their space.
I don't have an issue with headlights turning on or brake lights turning on. The reverse lights is just a safety hazard. But on the other hand, GM has had it for like 10 years now, so GM must like the feature.
Old 07-02-17, 04:50 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I didn't know GM have done it for so long. I only noticed it in the last couple years. Maybe GM is putting this in more cars/trucks?
Old 07-02-17, 07:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Whatever it is, it is contributing to traffic jams and longer shopping commute times. People see the reverse lights and wait for the person to pull out. Backs everything up for nothing.
Old 07-02-17, 08:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't go to Walmart, or wherever GMs go, so not a problem for me.
Old 07-03-17, 05:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't go to Walmart, or wherever GMs go, so not a problem for me.
What if you's gots to get you a new pair of 'dem 5XL sweatpants?

Quick Reply: GMC/Chevy's reverse lights