Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

6 Steps to Negotiating the Best Deal on Your New Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 12:29 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 6 Steps to Negotiating the Best Deal on Your New Lexus

6 Steps to Negotiating the Best Deal on Your New Lexus
By Bassem Girgis

Old 06-30-17, 02:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

On another note, the sales and commissions at most dealerships get calculated at the end of the month, so if you try to negotiate a deal in the last three days of the month, they would probably try harder to make the deal happen so they can get their bonuses from the manufacturers.
Totally agree with this one. My experience has been, especially with my brother buying Kias, is that the last day of the month can indeed bring some good deals, both with trade-in-apparaisals and on the asking price for the new vehicle. When he bought his Sportage, on the last day of the month, they not only gave him full-KBB for his trade (a Kia Soul), but applied all of the (applicable) rebate / repeat-customer / incentive discounts, and also, above that, took an additional healthy chunk off the sticker-price. They apparently wanted his old car, and were willing to pay for it. Same as when he bought the Soul originally, five years earlier (also an end-of-month deal), though, of course, as a first-time Kia customer, he didn't get the repeat-customer discount.
Old 06-30-17, 05:01 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Different opinion on private sales...

Not sure what the tax rate is in various States, but in Canada we pay 13%

When I traded my 3rx they gave me 41,500, which is $5,395 savings in tax. We don't pay tax on the trade in value. New car - trade= X + 13%.They had the same model on their lot asking $47,900, so getting 41500 was good.

I agree if you are selling something at a price point where it is attractive to many people, yes. But if you are asking $46,000 for a 2.5 year old Lexus, your private buyers are few and far between. People would rather go to a dealer when spending that kind of money. Now if you can talk the buyer into going through the deal at the dealership...that's another story. Only ever had one person agree to do that.

I find the walk away is the best thing anyone can do on any major purchase. Good way to really determine if the price is a good one.