Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2004 RX330 255 M, Should I Sell? Need Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-17, 06:46 AM
Krista
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 RX330 255 M, Should I Sell? Need Knowledge

Hi,
I would really appreciate some feedback. My guy died 2 years ago and I'm kinda lost on the car thing. I love this Lexus RX, best car I've ever had, but it is at the point where I need to put money into it or get rid of it. 255,000 miles!
Not financially in a position to just go get a new one equal to it or take on car payments right now. I've looked at some used vehicles to buy until I get on my feet again, but I always walk away feeling like it isn't the thing to do? Don't know if it's an emotional attachment or not.
I need to make a practical decision here.
The mechanic in Northern Michigan, very rural, never has worked on a Lexus, let alone an RX says sell it. No Lexus dealers around here and it tends to be a Chevy Truck country, so I don't trust his feedback. I bought the car in Colorado and have lived mostly north of NYC where they are very popular and people tend to say "they run forever"?
It has a cosmetic things going wrong, door handle, paint job cracking from a repair, trim came off around accent window. The light lenses are clouded and moisture is in the lights, (think I got a recall on that)? The catalytic converter is shot (but Michigan does not have laws on this). Needs shocks, now brakes again, oil pan screw keeps leaking every time it's changed. They tell me they have replaced the screw 3 different times and different mechanics, but it always leaks.
I have heard stories from many people who have taken care of their car's beyond 300,000 miles and they are still going..............
Can anyone with experience with this particular make give some advice/feedback?

Last edited by Krista; 06-25-17 at 06:50 AM. Reason: sp
Old 06-25-17, 06:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I wouldn't put money into any vehicle with 255,000 miles but it sounds like you can't afford anything else unfortunately, so perhaps just drive it for now and save toward getting something newer?
Old 06-25-17, 07:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

You have two choices.

1. Fix it up. Probably going to cost you minimum $5K to do it. Your steering rack likely needs to be changed at some point with those type of miles. Furthermore, you have a 3.3 with a timing belt that also likely needs to be changed at some point as well. The cat need to be done and any leaks to the exhaust are very likely present at this point. With that said, if you can get this stuff done. You can keep this vehicle for a lot longer, but cars are designed to wear down especially at this point.

2. Option 2 is to do buy a used reliable car, like a Camry or a Corolla. Going from a Lexus to these two cars is not likely something to do but in your financial situation, you don't have much of a choice.

Personally, I would get rid of the RX and get into to a used Toyota if you can.
Old 06-25-17, 07:01 AM
Krista
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!
Ok I kept thinking the same thing, just drive it as is and let whatever happens, happen. Who knows it might get me to the other side, (where ever that is) without major breakdown.
Like your statements on your profile, especially "stop global whining"
Old 06-25-17, 07:04 AM
Krista
Driver School Candidate

This is great!
I really need this feedback, feel better already!
Old 06-25-17, 09:18 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

By any chance do you have a Toyota dealership in your area? Perhaps they could take a look at it since many of the RX's parts are shared with Toyota vehicles.
Old 06-25-17, 11:36 AM
Krista
Driver School Candidate

Great idea! Yes one is 45 miles away.
Do you still have your 2004? and still going strong, at what miles?
Old 06-25-17, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Hello, Krista. Welcome to CL.

Sorry to hear about the passing of your significant other. I notice that you are in Michigan, a state with a LOT of snow, a lot of very poor road surfaces, potholes, and where a lot of salt and de-icing is used in winter. (Michigan is famous for its moon-crater roads LOL)

So, IMO, on the RX, with 255,000 miles on it, one obvious factor in determining how how long you might actually decide to keep it would be the amount of any corrosion/rust, particularly on safety-critical parts underneath like steering/suspension and brakes. Next time it is up on a rack, have a factory or ASC-qualified Technician go over the entire underside and see how much, if any, all that Michigan salt and moisture has impacted or corroded things. Even if it is not safety-related in the sense that steering/brakes/suspension or the actual unibody frame itself is, you might still need to replace things like an exhaust pipe, muffler, catalytic converter, etc... where exhaust gas and carbon monoxide can leak out. Many states and jurisdictions have annual safety and emissions-inspection laws where the exhaust system is checked for holes.....I don't know if your specific area in Michigan does or not (you mentioned that Michigan does not have some laws on the catalysts). Body rust on sheet-metal panels is not usually very dangerous (unless it is so bad that it affects door-rigidity), but, of course, can affect the vehicle cosmetically and make it look grungy. Usually, on a vehicle that old, if you don't plan to keep it that long, I wouldn't spend money repairing cosmetic rust like that....only the important safety-related things.

Also, of course, with Michigan's rough roads, you'll want to have the underside and wheel-alignment checked for any suspension-damage or bent parts. The RX is not known for low-profile tires (which can easily damage alloy wheels on potholes)...but, still, keep an eye on the wheels and tires for signs of any damage or cracking.

Good Luck.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-25-17 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-25-17, 03:57 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

My '04 only has 70k on it, however we've had the timing belt changed due to age. The only issue with the vehicle has been a leaky steering rack which Lexus actually paid 1/2 of due partly to the low mileage.