Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The "Age" old question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-17, 07:47 AM
JRF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Age" old question..

My 2000 model year LS 400 Platinum series has 115k miles on it, which comes out to around 600 miles per month since I bought it new in 2000.

It has been well maintained with all major regular maintenance done ahead of time, timing belt at 82k miles (before moving across country), and earlier this year Transmission, Differential service, new spark plugs, timing set etc and an oil gasket replacement all for around $1300.

As I type this I am having the timing solenoids replaced, oil grudge cleaned etc which was the cause of rough idle, and check engine light coming on. Total cost "out the door" of $1480.00. I trust the shop doing the work and while I don't understand why it is so expensive, I guess it's too late now. I see on this thread that it is a relatively easy repair unless I don't actually understand what work is being done. Fwiw, changing a light bulb is the extent of my mechanical ability.

My question is, and I know there is no certain answer, is; At one point does shear age of an LS 400 overcome low mileage?

Fwiw, every time I have taken the car in for service (for the last six years since moving to Atlanta), the owner, who is a friend, always remarks, that it was a "great car" and my reply has always been to smile, say thank you and remark that I will drive it "until the wheels fall off" but now I am wondering if I am simply being foolish.

I guess my fear is "what is next"? This current repair, which incidentally has been the only non-routine major repair, makes me wonder if it is time to get another car. I mean, at what point do I simply bail and get a new car?

I would love to hear thoughts on this. Also sorry if this has already been discussed. If so, please delete this from the board, with my apologies for not being able to find a prior discussion about this.

Best,

John

Last edited by JRF; 06-24-17 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-24-17, 08:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JRF
My 2000 model year LS 400 Platinum series has 115k miles on it, which comes out to around 600 miles per month since I bought it new in 2000.

It has been well maintained with all major regular maintenance done ahead of time, timing belt at 82k miles (before moving across country), and earlier this year Transmission, Differential service, new spark plugs, timing set etc and an oil gasket replacement all for around $1300.

As I type this I am having the timing solenoids replaced, oil grudge cleaned etc which was the cause of rough idle, and check engine light coming on. Total cost "out the door" of $1480.00. I trust the shop doing the work and while I don't understand why it is so expensive, I guess it's too late now. I see on this thread that it is a relatively easy repair unless I don't actually understand what work is being done. Fwiw, changing a light bulb is the extent of my mechanical ability.

My question is, and I know there is no certain answer, is; At one point does shear age of an LS 400 overcome low mileage?

Fwiw, every time I have taken the car in for service (for the last six years since moving to Atlanta), the owner, who is a friend, always remarks, that it was a "great car" and my reply has always been to smile, say thank you and remark that I will drive it "until the wheels fall off" but now I am wondering if I am simply being foolish.

I guess my fear is "what is next"? This current repair, which incidentally has been the only non-routine major repair, makes me wonder if it is time to get another car. I mean, at what point do I simply bail and get a new car?

I would love to hear thoughts on this. Also sorry if this has already been discussed. If so, please delete this from the board, with my apologies for not being able to find a prior discussion about this.

Best,

John
When you figure in the cost of shop materials, disposal fees, etc....that many service and repair shops charge (some of which are maybe legit; some not), $1300 (plus tax if applicable) is not that outrageous, especially considering the it is a Lexus, not a Toyota. (you should see what similar service would probably cost at a Mercedes or Porsche dealership LOL).

Can't comment on the $1480 bill much because it's not clear all that is involved with it.

As far as the question of whether to get a new car or not, based the information you've given us, I'd hold onto it for at least a couple more years, unless it starts giving you more trouble. LS400s were extremely well-built, and I sep them still puttering around my area with 200K miles on them.

Now, of course, if you simply want a newer car with more safety features or updates on it (you've got something that is more than 15 years old), that's another matter, and we can discuss that for its own sake.
Old 06-24-17, 08:34 AM
JRF
Rookie

MMarshall,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your thoughts!

I love my car and at 62 years of age, I have long since lost my enthusiasm for expensive cars or new cars for that matter, having owned new a 1994 MB 420, 1998 BMW 750il, and now this car. When I say I love my car, I mean it. It drives great, has great torque and after the "tune up" it will go from 30 to 50 in a "blink" which is useful for getting around Atlanta traffic.

My objective has been waiting at least until the internet was in cars and maybe some other features and then giving this car to my brother.

I guess the question is also more or less, are certain repairs indicative of others to come. Considering this one was in part due to oil and grudge build up in the engine.

Fwiw, I have used Amsoil 0-30 since I bought it but the oil changes have only been every 8 months or so. I wonder if, I need to change it more frequently without regard to mileage since the last change.

Thanks again!

John
Old 06-24-17, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JRF
MMarshall,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your thoughts!

I love my car and at 62 years of age, I have long since lost my enthusiasm for expensive cars or new cars for that matter, having owned new a 1994 MB 420, 1998 BMW 750il, and now this car. When I say I love my car, I mean it. It drives great, has great torque and after the "tune up" it will go from 30 to 50 in a "blink" which is useful for getting around Atlanta traffic.

My objective has been waiting at least until the internet was in cars and maybe some other features and then giving this car to my brother.

I guess the question is also more or less, are certain repairs indicative of others to come. Considering this one was in part due to oil and grudge build up in the engine.

Fwiw, I have used Amsoil 0-30 since I bought it but the oil changes have only been every 8 months or so. I wonder if, I need to change it more frequently without regard to mileage since the last change.

Thanks again!

John
Anytime.

If they had to take the engine apart (particularly a good-sized V8 like that) to clean out all of the sludge, that's one indication of what might (?) have cost over $1400. That's a fair amount of labor.

Although oils and oil-additive packages are, in fact, much better today than in the past, I still wouldn't leave them in 8 months....particularly if the car isn't used much, as in your case. Even with a good filter, Moisture and impurities build up in the oil, which don't get purged out of the system if the engine doesn't get to full-operating temperature (usually around 200 degrees or so) on a regular basis. Eventually that can turn into sludge and gel. Oil can also deteriorate and sludge/gel if it gets too hot and is not changed often enough...as we saw with some versions of the 3.0L Toyota/Lexus V6 and its too-small oil-passages.

As far as oil-brands go, I've had good luck with Castrol over the years, but any brand that is SAE-certified as meeting warranty-requirements will probably do the job.....consult the Owners' Manual for the grade required. As a general rule, any oil of a higher (later) SAE grade (such as SH vs. SG) than what is required in the Manual will suffice....what you don't want to do use a lower letter-combo.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-24-17 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-24-17, 08:59 AM
JRF
Rookie

Hi,

The advice on oil changes helps a lot and I have always wondered if time was a bigger factor than mileage with oil changes. I guess I have learned the hard way that that is likely true!

Fwiw, I only drive 2.2 miles to work and my car likely doesn't regularly get to the proper heat to purge the moisture as you describe.

Regarding the charge again, the owner told me it was not going to be easy and that it would likely take them a few hours to figure the problem and that I was looking at $1000-$1500, which is funny because, as I was driving it to the shop the $1500 amount popped in my head as the likely cost to repair, only because I knew that it was not a normal thing that was going on.

Thanks again Sir!

John

Last edited by JRF; 06-24-17 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-24-17, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Oil can also deteriorate and sludge/gel if it gets too hot and is not changed often enough...
modern oil especially synthetics simply don't 'deteriorate' but as you say, dirt/deposits will get mixed in but obviously the filter should catch most of that.

JRF, driving just 2.2mi. to work and back as you say isn't great for a vehicle, especially in (i presume for you) Atlanta's stop and go traffic. you should thrash your car to redline once in a while.

as far as whether it's 'time' to move on, your lexus will keep going for a ton more miles, but yes, probably you're looking at a big service bill once or maybe twice a year, with some years nothing more than routine stuff. you own one of the best made cars and engines ever created however, so that's far in your favor. i have friends who drive mercedes built in the 80's daily! yes they have issues now and then, but overall they enjoy them.

in the end only you can decide if you'd rather something new. even something brand new in theory could need repair, but obviously most is covered under warranty, and sure, it's much less likely to happen than your 17 year old lexus. for me it's not so much about reliability but instead that new cars have a ton of safety and convenience features not on older cars so i can only hold out for so long (5-6 years typically).
Old 06-24-17, 09:49 AM
JRF
Rookie

Thanks, Bitkahuna!

Ha, redline on this car in 5th gear is 160 mph Actually, when I use to live in San Diego, I would take it up to the Toll Road in Orange County (73 if I remember correctly) which was virtually void of traffic (and police) and run it as fast as I dared, which was around 140 mph.

Maybe I should just open a bank account and put a $150 per month in it for "future car repair"??

Best,

John
Old 06-24-17, 12:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I would likely keep the car. Timing belt, spark plugs, and gaskets​ don't need to be done again for 6-7 years.

You don't drive many miles per year. Your maintenance costs should be minimal for the next 3-4 years. You should know this by now if you had the car since 2000.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-24-17 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-24-17, 02:05 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Worst thing that is commonly done to a cars engine is to start the engine & turn it off before it is fully warmed up to operating temp.
Old 06-24-17, 02:08 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

So if you average $2,000/year for 20 years to keep the LS400 going, that's $40,000. New LS is, what, $80K or $90K plus its maintenance for the example 20 years plus higher insurance and registration fees.

So, unless you want new-car features, including modern safety features, "it's cheaper to keep her" - especially since you like the car.
Old 06-24-17, 02:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Worst thing that is commonly done to a cars engine is to start the engine & turn it off before it is fully warmed up to operating temp.
Doesn't hurt once in a while, if one does not make a habit of it....just a little here and there. But, No, what you don't want to do is get into a routine of doing it, especially in cold damp weather....that can degrade the oil much more quickly.
Old 06-24-17, 02:18 PM
JRF
Rookie

Hi All,

Went and picked up the car. $1393.75 with tax, and of that $680.00 was labor. Mark the owner, told me, that with my driving habits, that a repair of this type should be expected at some point in a 17-year-old car and that overall the car was in "great shape".

He suggested that I change the oil every 3 months which I intend to start doing. Fwiw, I had oil in the trunk and they changed it and when I offered to pay he said, "nevermind about that, you have paid me enough money for one day".

Thanks all for your comments.

Best,

John
Old 06-24-17, 02:23 PM
JRF
Rookie

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
So if you average $2,000/year for 20 years to keep the LS400 going, that's $40,000. New LS is, what, $80K or $90K plus its maintenance for the example 20 years plus higher insurance and registration fees.

So, unless you want new-car features, including modern safety features, "it's cheaper to keep her" - especially since you like the car.
I agree, even the Camry's are $25k-30K at least and probably pushing low $30's with the larger engine etc. Payments would be around $5k a year which is a lot more expensive, obviously, then a random $1500 bill each year, especially considering, that I love the car.

John
Old 06-24-17, 10:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by JRF
Ha, redline on this car in 5th gear is 160 mph
i certainly didn't mean redline in top gear, which is hard to do under any circumstances.

i simply meant a hard launch now and then to really make the valves, cams, etc. get a short workout. you could also use the shifter to stay in a lower gear and then run up the revs for a bit.

cars like an old LS want to get to fifth as quickly as possible to save on gas, lower noise etc.
Old 06-25-17, 03:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i certainly didn't mean redline in top gear, which is hard to do under any circumstances.
Jeremy, Richard, and James did quite a few redlines in top gear.

Quick Reply: The "Age" old question..