Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Crazy road rage accident.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-17, 02:37 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

You know theres a reason why those idiot showboaters can stand on a motorcycle moving at speed and not fall down right? Are they just super skilled or is it physics?

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-d...l-while-moving
Old 06-25-17, 04:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The original video posted on the first page is cut. Longer videos show the Nissan Sentra crossing over the solid double lines into the HOV lane in CA, which is a huge no no.
Old 06-26-17, 02:48 AM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, the guy in the car made it much worse (and caused most of the damage), but this whole unfortunate incident would not have happened if that moron of a biker had not started it by kicking the side of the car. I ultimately blame the biker.

I hope no one was seriously hurt or killed in this incident.
Unfortunately, many people who watched this road rage video do not know the whole story, and they jump to assumptions and conclusions like yourself. There's a reason for everything. And there's a reason why the motorcyclist kicked the car. Bikers normally don't kick a car for no reason. Why would they be doing that anyway in the first place? (just to add to the point -- a biker wouldn't risk their life and kick some random car for no reason) Also, the driver of the car had a fast reaction to hit the biker right away after the biker kicked the car. Normally, drivers don't do that too.

According to the person who recorded the video, road rage happened way before the video was recorded. The driver of the car went into the carpool lane and hit the biker first. Then things happened. Afterwards, the person sitting in the car whipped his camera out because he knew something is going to happen. Then the rest of the story is history from the video. Click below to learn in detail about the whole story from the original recorder.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...623-story.html

So in the end, it was the driver's fault. This is why I hate cagers.

Everyone should be required to get a motorcycle license first before getting a license to drive a car, just like those other Asian countries. Then everyone would have more appreciation for bikers. People don't know how it feels like to ride a motorcycle out in the freeway with cars buzzing past you in 60-80 miles per hour. You literally have no protection on a bike. This totally baffles me; U.S. laws demand more safety features for a car or else they are not allowed to sell it. On the other hand, U.S. laws continue to allow motorcycles to be sold.

Seems more like a double standard to me. No wonder cars are getting bigger and bigger every year.

Last edited by b2884987; 06-26-17 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 05:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Yeah I don't understand how anybody could ride a motorcycle in this day and age...terrifying.

I know numerous people who rode and loved riding but gave it up because drivers are so distracted now they no longer felt safe.
Old 06-26-17, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987
Unfortunately, many people who watched this road rage video do not know the whole story, and they jump to assumptions and conclusions like yourself. There's a reason for everything. And there's a reason why the motorcyclist kicked the car. Bikers normally don't kick a car for no reason. Why would they be doing that anyway in the first place? (just to add to the point -- a biker wouldn't risk their life and kick some random car for no reason) Also, the driver of the car had a fast reaction to hit the biker right away after the biker kicked the car. Normally, drivers don't do that too.

According to the person who recorded the video, road rage happened way before the video was recorded. The driver of the car went into the carpool lane and hit the biker first. Then things happened. Afterwards, the person sitting in the car whipped his camera out because he knew something is going to happen. Then the rest of the story is history from the video. Click below to learn in detail about the whole story from the original recorder.

Everyone should be required to get a motorcycle license first before getting a license to drive a car, just like those other Asian countries. Then everyone would have more appreciation for bikers. People don't know how it feels like to ride a motorcycle out in the freeway with cars buzzing past you in 60-80 miles per hour. You literally have no protection on a bike. This totally baffles me; U.S. laws demand more safety features for a car or else they are not allowed to sell it. On the other hand, U.S. laws continue to allow motorcycles to be sold.

Seems more like a double standard to me. No wonder cars are getting bigger and bigger every year.
Well, if you are accusing others of making premature judgements, then, without seeing and knowing the entire incident, then you are doing exactly the same thing, based solely on the word of someone that can't be verified without camera-evidence.

I aso disagree with the cycle-first requirement with licenses....in most cases, it takes more skill and co-ordination to handle a bike than it does a car. One was to walk before he or she runs.
Old 06-26-17, 07:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah I don't understand how anybody could ride a motorcycle in this day and age...terrifying.
Many of the guys (and, in some cases, women) on Harleys have been riding them for 30-40 years, or more.....a Harley has simply become an ongoing part of their lives. There are also a lot of military vets on them.......as we see every year, on Memorial Day weekend, with Rolling Thunder.
Old 06-26-17, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Many of the guys (and, in some cases, women) on Harleys have been riding them for 30-40 years, or more.....a Harley has simply become an ongoing part of their lives. There are also a lot of military vets on them.......as we see every year, on Memorial Day weekend, with Rolling Thunder.
I understand that people ride them, I have eyes. What I said was I don't understand why they still ride them when the roads are as dangerous out there as they are. I know numerous people who have been riding them that long and have stopped because its gotten so dangerous.
Old 06-26-17, 08:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The original video posted on the first page is cut. Longer videos show the Nissan Sentra crossing over the solid double lines into the HOV lane in CA, which is a huge no no.
there a link to the uncut video? I havent been able to locate one
Old 06-26-17, 09:18 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

People are going by what they saw on the video which clearly shows the motorcyclist riding up to and kicking the car which is illegal and clear road rage. Maybe the guy in the car did something before hand and started it but it is still not okay for a motorcyclist to ride up and confront the driver/kick his car and you should use your horn, not try to kick a car if they are turning into you anyway because it is always going to lead to a confrontation if you do that and it is illegal. You are accusing others are pre judging but you are doing the same thing by totally blaming the "cager" and not having any issue with the motorcyclist kicking a moving vehicle and yes there are motorcyclist who do kick moving vehicles or break the laws all the time, there are plenty of videos of it.

It sounds like you are already pre biased to side with the motorcyclist and against the car driver when you are saying you "hate "cagers" and referring to car drivers as "cagers". Requiring all drivers to get a motorcycle license would be totally wasteful and too expensive in the US where riding a motorcycle is pretty rare, it probably makes sense in some Asian countries where riding a motorcycle is very popular.
Old 06-26-17, 09:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
People are going by what they saw on the video which clearly shows the motorcyclist riding up to and kicking the car which is illegal and clear road rage. Maybe the guy in the car did something before hand and started it but it is still not okay for a motorcyclist to ride up and confront the driver/kick his car and you should use your horn, not try to kick a car if they are turning into you anyway because it is always going to lead to a confrontation if you do that and it is illegal. You are accusing others are pre judging but you are doing the same thing by totally blaming the "cager" and not having any issue with the motorcyclist kicking a moving vehicle and yes there are motorcyclist who do kick moving vehicles or break the laws all the time, there are plenty of videos of it.

It sounds like you are already pre biased to side with the motorcyclist and against the car driver when you are saying you "hate "cagers" and referring to car drivers as "cagers". Requiring all drivers to get a motorcycle license would be totally wasteful and too expensive in the US where riding a motorcycle is pretty rare, it probably makes sense in some Asian countries where riding a motorcycle is very popular.
Its also illegal and clearly road rage when the driver drifted into the adjacent lane to attempt to squeeze the motorcyclist and swerved in to try and hit the motorcyclist after his car was kicked.

Bottom line is fault is shared by both of them. It takes two to tango. If either one of them had backed down and just ignored the other this accident would have been avoided.
Old 06-26-17, 09:38 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

So in the end, it was the driver's fault. This is why I hate cagers..

I know numerous people who rode and loved riding but gave it up because drivers are so distracted now they no longer felt safe.
The "hate cagers" sentiment is not constructive and polarizes opinions. I agree, based on the information presented, the driver of the car "started it" but there is blame to go around for both of the principles involved.

And Steve's point is very valid that riding motorcycles on US public streets and highways is not safe due to the evolution of distractions with social media devices in cars despite legislation to attempt to control drivers. My wife has been rear ended twice in the past 5 months sitting stopped in traffic and convinced both drivers of the initiating vehicles were texting; if she had been on a motorcycle stopped in the first accident she easily would have been killed.
Old 06-26-17, 09:45 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Its also illegal and clearly road rage when the driver drifted into the adjacent lane to attempt to squeeze the motorcyclist and swerved in to try and hit the motorcyclist after his car was kicked.

Bottom line is fault is shared by both of them. It takes two to tango. If either one of them had backed down and just ignored the other this accident would have been avoided.
I totally agree, both are at fault which I originally said and if both just backed down nothing would have happened but the motorcyclist is equally culpable based on the video, possibly more since he went out of the way to ride up and kick a moving vehicle and then fled the scene of a accident he clearly played a hand in.
Old 06-26-17, 10:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I totally agree, both are at fault which I originally said and if both just backed down nothing would have happened but the motorcyclist is equally culpable based on the video, possibly more since he went out of the way to ride up and kick a moving vehicle and then fled the scene of a accident he clearly played a hand in.
I just don't agree. The driver of the car was clearly trying to squeeze the motorcycle out, and he still swerved in to hit the motorcycle after getting kicked (which = motorcyclist death). We didn't see what happened before that either...

The rule of thumb I was taught way back when I started driving is the person in the superior vehicle owes deferment to the person in the inferior vehicle. If I'm in a car I'm safer than if I'm on a motorcycle, or bicycle, or on foot. So if I'm driving my car and somebody on a motorcycle or bicycle or on foot does something stupid, I need to defer to them and let them do whatever they're doing regardless of whether its proper or not.

For instance, I may slide up and refuse to let a driver of another car merge if he's being an idiot, I may come up behind somebody in another car who is going to slow and urge them to move aside so I can proceed ahead. I may honk at another car doing something stupid. However, I don't do any of those things when the other driver is on a motorcycle because they put his/her life in danger. A simple horn blow may spook them and cause their death...if somebody is crossing the middle of the freaking road with no crosswalk...I let them cross.

IMHO all drivers should give motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians a wide berth, even when they're being stupid and illegal. So yeah, I blame the driver of the car.
Old 06-26-17, 10:45 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Again both drivers are idiots. If the motorcycle rider had just taking the cars information to CHP, the cars driver would have gotten was was coming. I mean the evidence was in the big dent and probably paint transfer on the car door. You could see it in the video, which backs up that there was contact before the video began. Like the person made in their statement. Instead the motorcyclist insisted on committing a felony. He pulled up beside the car kicking it set off the chain of events for a multi car accident. Him being an active part of the accident and fleeing the scene makes him a felon. Like was said above two idiots decided to tango. One is just as bad as the other. Instead of being adults, they are out of control idiots who have no right to drive on the road.

Last edited by Coleroad; 06-26-17 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 10:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I just don't agree. The driver of the car was clearly trying to squeeze the motorcycle out, and he still swerved in to hit the motorcycle after getting kicked (which = motorcyclist death). We didn't see what happened before that either...

The rule of thumb I was taught way back when I started driving is the person in the superior vehicle owes deferment to the person in the inferior vehicle. If I'm in a car I'm safer than if I'm on a motorcycle, or bicycle, or on foot. So if I'm driving my car and somebody on a motorcycle or bicycle or on foot does something stupid, I need to defer to them and let them do whatever they're doing regardless of whether its proper or not.

For instance, I may slide up and refuse to let a driver of another car merge if he's being an idiot, I may come up behind somebody in another car who is going to slow and urge them to move aside so I can proceed ahead. I may honk at another car doing something stupid. However, I don't do any of those things when the other driver is on a motorcycle because they put his/her life in danger. A simple horn blow may spook them and cause their death...if somebody is crossing the middle of the freaking road with no crosswalk...I let them cross.

IMHO all drivers should give motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians a wide berth, even when they're being stupid and illegal. So yeah, I blame the driver of the car.
I'm with you. The dude in the car needs to be prosecuted for attempted manslaughter. The biker should get reckless driving. One gets community service, the other 5 to 15 years.

Quick Reply: Crazy road rage accident.