Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Crazy road rage accident.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 08:42 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Why do I feel like there may be more to this than when the video starts? There is nobody in front of that car that he would need to go into the HOV lane at that speed.

With that said, the driver's move almost seems like that instant reaction when we make moves without thinking. Doesn't make it right but that's what it seems like.

Ed
Old 06-23-17, 08:49 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Why do I feel like there may be more to this than when the video starts? There is nobody in front of that car that he would need to go into the HOV lane at that speed.
There are too many stupid idiots (redundant) on the road that nothing is new anymore.

That being said, the darwin-award winner sentra driver also endangered his/her passenger(s).

Last edited by GS3Tek; 06-23-17 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-23-17, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Somewhat conflated analogy as no one died here (thankfully), but if you slap me and I beat the crap out of you, you started the physical nature of the altercation, so it would be acceptable for me to respond in kind.
In kind. Trying to run someone over with a car because they kicked your car is not "responding in kind". Neither is shooting somebody because they slapped you, that was the point.

In any event I was taught that two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 06-23-17, 10:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
I can see both sides, but I didn't see the car's action as trying to run the biker over, just swerving into him to retaliate for the kicking.
When dealing with a motorcycle...essentially this amounts to trying to kill them.
Old 06-23-17, 10:55 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

In high traffic areas like this, drivers make bad moves all day long. It was illegal for the car to enter across the solid yellow line. When the car did. The cyclist didn't even have to put the brakes on. He actually sped up to get beside him, and kick the car. So what was just a illegal lane change turned into this. First the cyclist endangered himself way more than the car to start with, by pulling up beside, and kicking. Then the car escalated it further by swerving. Two A's that can't control their tempers behind the wheel. Neither one needs to be driving on the road. If either one of them had controlled their emotions, no ones life would have been put in danger. One A usually means close call. Two A's together usually ends bad. I get how frustrating it is when people drive stupid, but you have to control your emotions.
Old 06-23-17, 12:42 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Having ridden bikes for years, I was cut off all the time. It got to a point that I thought many people did not see me, or hear me with some of the bikes.

Never would I try to kick a car while moving. I might want to, but would never endanger someone for being careless or daydreaming. Nor would I chance hurting myself. Ride away and enjoy the fact you didn't get wiped out by some car. Regardless if the Sentra cut him off or not, the riders reaction is completely irresponsible.

His actions initiated the reaction and he left the scene. Guilty

Glad no one was seriously injured.
Old 06-23-17, 02:09 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Having ridden bikes for years, I was cut off all the time. It got to a point that I thought many people did not see me, or hear me with some of the bikes.

Never would I try to kick a car while moving. I might want to, but would never endanger someone for being careless or daydreaming. Nor would I chance hurting myself. Ride away and enjoy the fact you didn't get wiped out by some car. Regardless if the Sentra cut him off or not, the riders reaction is completely irresponsible.

Exactly. Former rider here (for a very short time), and I echo this sentiment. Being an aggressive rider on the road will get you killed. No one sees you, and anyone can kill you.
Old 06-23-17, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm actually astonished that this is your opinion.

If you slap me, and I shoot you and kill you, I'm not off the hook for having killed you...your suggestion that the driver of the car is not the cause of this accident is astonishing to me.
The driver is indeed the direct cause, but the incident, at least from the video, seems to have started with the biker. Two wrongs don't make a right. I partly, but don't totally, agree with your position.

Anyhow, we can debate all day about who is at fault.....I just hope that no one got seriously hurt or killed, especially in that vehicle that overturned.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-23-17 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastFord

Bingo. +1.

Certanly hope that was the case. Sometimes, of course, delayed-reaction injuries can set in.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-23-17 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 08:14 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The crappy sentra driver is at fault for crossing into the biker's lane; then attempting manslaughter with his crap-mobile and losing control. Even how he lost control shows how much of a lousy driver he is... Hopefully the moron learns a lesson.

Ps. Biker should be cited for reckless driving; however, the sentra driver's license should be revoked permanently.
Old 06-23-17, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EXE46
The crappy sentra driver is at fault for crossing into the biker's lane; then attempting manslaughter with his crap-mobile and losing control. Even how he lost control shows how much of a lousy driver he is... Hopefully the moron learns a lesson.
Well, one of those lessons learned (besides the obvious one in controlling one's temper) is that a Sentra, though not the worst-handling vehicle on the market by any means, is a long way from a Mazda Miata in the tossability department.

Ps. Biker should be cited for reckless driving; however, the sentra driver's license should be revoked permanently.
Unless the biker willingly turns himself in (which I doubt will happen, unless his conscience starts bothering him), there's probably no way to identify him, since he got away. The video-resolution isn't good enough to pick up the motorcycle's license-plate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-23-17 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 09:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The Sentra driver is a dumb crazy idiot. But the biker is a dumber stupid idiot-. Who tries to kick the door a moving car while driving a motorcycle?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-23-17 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 09:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,689 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unless the biker willingly turns himself in (which I doubt will happen, unless his conscience starts bothering him), there's probably no way to identify him, since he got away. The video-resolution isn't good enough to pick up the motorcycle's license-plate.
Cars ahead of the accident may have had dash cams. The biker should have stopped at most he'd get a ticket for reckless driving or some other minor thing. Now if he's caught they'll add fleeing the scene of an accident and who knows what else.
Old 06-23-17, 10:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The story unfolded way before the camera rolled. Most likely, the biker tried passing in the carpool lane and the Sentra didn't like it. This happens every five minutes on every major highway. People are startled by bikers coming up quick and making a bunch of noise at the last second. Sentra then retaliated to all that by getting too close to the biker. Biker doesn't like that, then kicks Sentra. Rest is on film. BOTH ARE STUPID. And the biker is the luckiest guy on earth, having kicked a car at freeway speeds, avoid tipping over after getting side-swiped by an auto, completely avoided an out of control car crashing right in front of him, and ran over a debris and liquid field. That guy should be playing the lottery right now.
This happened in my neighborhood and we have all been talking about it. The other lesson here no one is mentioning is what the Escalade driver did.... or did NOT do. He drove right into a major hazard without braking. Very bad move. He could have avoided all this if he looked ahead and saw what was going on. Note the brakelights never went on until the Sentra slammed into him and note how the Kia driver broke and avoided it all. Always need to be paying attention and looking ahead. Also of note here is the high hazard of driving a truck and SUV. Nine times out of ten, they are the ones on their roof after a collision. I will not be owning one, even with today's safety systems. You cannot defy the laws of physics.
Old 06-24-17, 07:50 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I blame the biker for starting the mess.

Quick Reply: Crazy road rage accident.