2019 Toyota Supra - Page 45 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Old Today, 12:51 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex View Post
I don't think people will be cross shopping RCF and MKV but I may be wrong. I will say the MKV will be more mod friendly for turning up power but someone that wants a GT car with big engine won't consider the MKV.
I agree they would not be cross shopped, but for different reasons. Tada said the Supra is a GT car as well (as previous Supra generations have been). Every car that is loaded with luxury and amenities, is a GT car because it sacrifices performance for creature comfort and experience.

Some people want a back seat or experience of N/A high-revving response/noise (which is why I bought it). In that case, a Supra does not fit the bill there.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; Today at 01:44 PM.
Old Today, 01:45 PM
Benoit
Driver

When I look at youtube or forums, I'm coming to the belief that none of the cars that have today an inconic status wouldn't have had a single chance if internet would have happened to exist in their young age.
The NSX was not powerful enough and was rather slow.
The Supra wasn't that powerful and rather hugly.
The M3 was so quadratic and the electric was bad.
The Stratos was a unpractical car, overheated and cramped.
The Countach was a money pit to maintain and with a middle-ish reliability.

I really believe that we should all take a holiday from debating cars we never experienced for ourselves. I'm sure this car will find some public, I'm even shure it will be good on certain type of roads, even if I don't believe it to be a good seller whatsoever (It's simply impossible to forget the FT-1 that was so tasty in regard of what came). Actually, we all sound like a bunch of Jeremy Clarkson's.
Old Today, 02:22 PM
situman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3 View Post

The LC platform is a good start.
Considering the new gen IS will also use this platform, then it definitely could be shortened to fit a more dedicated sports car function compared to luxury LC version.
Put in the already developed new 3.5 v6 tt - boom you got a TOYOTA Supra not a BMW Zupra.

The best alternative would have been to work TOGETHER with BMW and create a truly special car. Take the B58 motor and build it up with strong internals. Put in custom Supra interior geared to the driver etc. So what if it costs you an extra Billion $$$ - what something like that would do for your marketing and reputation will make up for it. Toyota is sitting on piles of $$$$ - once every 20years they can blow some on a Supra.
I would have suggested they stopped at the body and chassis and each go their own way with powertrains. What happened to all those Dynamic Force engines that they were supposedly introducing? So far other than the LS500 motor, it has been rather weak.
Old Today, 03:35 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by situman View Post
I would have suggested they stopped at the body and chassis and each go their own way with powertrains. What happened to all those Dynamic Force engines that they were supposedly introducing? So far other than the LS500 motor, it has been rather weak.
I agree with this.

If they were going to share platforms, I would be fine with that. Just share the chassis and then the rest should be their own design. Like many others have said here, other forums, magazines, and YouTube - the Mark 5 Supra is too BMW. Not saying that is a bad thing but its a bad thing for the Supra name.

If this was another Toyota car, it would do extremely well. Call it the Celica and drop the price.
Old Today, 04:26 PM
Och
Lexus Fanatic

The LC platform is a good start.
Considering the new gen IS will also use this platform, then it definitely could be shortened to fit a more dedicated sports car function compared to luxury LC version.
Put in the already developed new 3.5 v6 tt - boom you got a TOYOTA Supra not a BMW Zupra.

Perhaps the LC platform could be used to accommodate the new Supra, but since everyone and their mother brings up "heritage" - a V6 just doesn't belong in a Supra.

The best alternative would have been to work TOGETHER with BMW and create a truly special car. Take the B58 motor and build it up with strong internals. Put in custom Supra interior geared to the driver etc. So what if it costs you an extra Billion $$$ - what something like that would do for your marketing and reputation will make up for it. Toyota is sitting on piles of $$$$ - once every 20years they can blow some on a Supra.
LOL, Toyota can't even bother to contribute during a joint project. They are good as dead for me as a car company, and thus I am glad that the new Supra was developed by a proper car company that did a very decent job. Like I said previously, if Toyota made the Supra themselves, it would most likely have been an utter disappointment.
Old Today, 05:46 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och View Post
Perhaps the LC platform could be used to accommodate the new Supra, but since everyone and their mother brings up "heritage" - a V6 just doesn't belong in a Supra.

LOL, Toyota can't even bother to contribute during a joint project. They are good as dead for me as a car company, and thus I am glad that the new Supra was developed by a proper car company that did a very decent job. Like I said previously, if Toyota made the Supra themselves, it would most likely have been an utter disappointment.
A Japanese V6 belongs more in a Supra than a detuned BMW engine that will form problems in less than 60K miles.

Developed by a proper car company? What makes BMW proper? That's subjective. I could say BMW is not a proper car company because they can't make reliable cars. Isn't cars suppose to be reliable and take care of the buyer? How does BMW provide this when they are consistently ranked average or below average on reliability?

And you called me bias earlier... It looks like you are bias towards BMW with Toyota hate.

So its not a disappointment that its made by BMW? I think the general verdict by the population is that everyone hates this Supra. I think you only like it because its a BMW.

I think RNM GS3's point is fair. He likes both Toyota and BMW - as do I. But when you mix a legendary Supra with a car company like BMW - it just doesn't work. It draws up too many issues.
Old Today, 05:59 PM
pbm317
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76 View Post
Lap times can prove/disprove these comments, but man, this is confidence... (where did they come up with 4.4 0-60 for the BMW?)

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...ring-lap-time/
BMW originally provided the 4.4 estimated time. But right after the Toyota press conference touting 4.1, BMW came back and revised their time to 3.9

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: