Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 10:55 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Wow they really taking the LFA approach on this reveal. Hopefully its worth it. at least the motor should leave those who crave more power in the 86 happy
Old 12-28-18, 02:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
I hope it doesn't look like that but from the camo cars running around I have not seen any angles where it looks good, stance is just all wrong and makes it look homely and downscale.

Doug Demuro finally reviewed a last gen Supra, this new design does not hold a candle to its looks unless something drastic changes from the camo cars rolling around.
Old 12-28-18, 03:17 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I hope it doesn't look like that but from the camo cars running around I have not seen any angles where it looks good, stance is just all wrong and makes it look homely and downscale.

Doug Demuro finally reviewed a last gen Supra, this new design does not hold a candle to its looks unless something drastic changes from the camo cars rolling around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwKAS9vQq90
Unfortunately thats the real thing.

I wish they just took The MKIV design and left it the way it is.
Similar what Porsche does with 911, Jeep with Wrangler etc.

Why change something that isn’t broken?

The interior of MKIV was so cool as well with the driver oriented dash.

Old 12-28-18, 08:06 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I wish they just took The MKIV design and left it the way it is. Similar what Porsche does with 911, Jeep with Wrangler etc.

Today's 911 is a much different car than what the 90s Porsches were. The body shape is what you're talking about and that evolved over decades, starting with the 356 Speedster. You obviously know the outrage when Porsche went to liquid cooled engines and changed the handling traits, or even went with AWD? That was to cater to the market. Why else would Porsche have ventured into the 944, 928? And nowadays - the established Boxster and Cayman? Those two were seen at one time as "chick" versions of the 911.

Because that Supra priced itself out of the market and it challenged established high end marquis brands, yet it had no luxury cachet. You can't sell a Toyota at those prices unless you're appealing to a very narrow market niche. Toyota knows that and hence, this Supra. It's not 25 years ago when you could throw massive amounts of money at a niche market.

Toyota is not that same company that it was back then. If all it took was to preserve a MKIV in a museum and then re-do it for 2019, that would be easy. Who is going to buy those?

People are not going to line up to buy a Supra at a car dealership. They never did. Acura did a much better job with that first NSX. They imitated a Ferrari and made sure to let you know you were driving an Acura and not a Honda, even though the tech underneath was Honda VTEC all the way.

The Supra is just a halo vehicle. Look at this way: buy a BMW coupe with a Supra name.

As far as the Wrangler: that's another decades old established name brand. It's a completely different vehicle, so much so that it's now a family wagon. More comfortable, smoother, all sorts of fancy options that no Jeep purist would even dream about. You didn't buy a Wrangler for the family shopping trip to the mall back then. These days you do - because Jeep watered it down while still keeping the edgy trail options around.
Old 12-28-18, 08:20 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Today's 911 is a much different car than what the 90s Porsches were. The body shape is what you're talking about and that evolved over decades, starting with the 356 Speedster. You obviously know the outrage when Porsche went to liquid cooled engines and changed the handling traits, or even went with AWD? That was to cater to the market. Why else would Porsche have ventured into the 944, 928? And nowadays - the established Boxster and Cayman? Those two were seen at one time as "chick" versions of the 911.

Because that Supra priced itself out of the market and it challenged established high end marquis brands, yet it had no luxury cachet. You can't sell a Toyota at those prices unless you're appealing to a very narrow market niche. Toyota knows that and hence, this Supra. It's not 25 years ago when you could throw massive amounts of money at a niche market.

Toyota is not that same company that it was back then. If all it took was to preserve a MKIV in a museum and then re-do it for 2019, that would be easy. Who is going to buy those?

People are not going to line up to buy a Supra at a car dealership. They never did. Acura did a much better job with that first NSX. They imitated a Ferrari and made sure to let you know you were driving an Acura and not a Honda, even though the tech underneath was Honda VTEC all the way.

The Supra is just a halo vehicle. Look at this way: buy a BMW coupe with a Supra name.

As far as the Wrangler: that's another decades old established name brand. It's a completely different vehicle, so much so that it's now a family wagon. More comfortable, smoother, all sorts of fancy options that no Jeep purist would even dream about. You didn't buy a Wrangler for the family shopping trip to the mall back then. These days you do - because Jeep watered it down while still keeping the edgy trail options around.
I couldn't agree more! As a previous owner of Mk 2,3, and 4 Supras, they would not be competitive in today's market. This is a low cost, low risk way for Toyota to create a halo car. I am no longer a customer for this kind of car, but it will probably be fine. If I were going to spring for an expensive sporty car, I would want something like an LC, but with a lot more horsepower. The Mercedes E53 Coupe seems interesting.
Old 12-28-18, 08:24 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,222 Likes on 857 Posts

MattyG is right-- Toyota is a different company today than it was in the 90's and the looks of the MKIV vs the MKV have to do with so many factors. Crash standards, emissions standards, fuel economy standards, safety architectures, etc. You cannot just dust off the MKIV platform let alone the last JDM 2005 2JZGTE VVT-i engine and put it back into production. Getrag has totally cut its ties with Toyota and does not produce V160 6-speed parts any longer.

To bring a pure RWD I6 turbo Supra back in 2019's EV and autonomous-car intensive R&D reality and not make it horrendously expensive there had to be some creative approach to doing this. Toyota wasn't going to build their own I-6 engine from scratch for use in only one vehicle that will only sell so many units every month. But... if they went to some other company that makes them and re-engineered a lot of an existing I-6 engine to suit their performance and durability targets... then not nearly as much money is spent.

It's going to be a fair bit more than just a BMW coupe chassis with a Supra name. It will depend on the trim level one purchases which will depend on availability and allocation of the more limited high performance trim levels (and I am not simply referring to what will be the more common standard I6 turbo trim levels) but this isn't going to be a carbon copy of an near identical BMW.

Further, it's more like BMW and Toyota BOTH designed and haggled over a chassis design from scratch that they would both ultimately use differently. The interiors aren't going to be very different from each other so there is that.

And while they both make use of a common BMW B58 I6 turbo engine architecture... Toyota is rumored to be going a bit further with theirs. But again, this depends on the trim level one buys.

The cars as spec'd at launch are not going to be the only variants ever released.

As far as the look of the new ones from the recent image leak, those appear to be renderings (albeit official ones) rather than actual photographs but personally I like the looks.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-28-18 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 08:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately thats the real thing.

I wish they just took The MKIV design and left it the way it is.
Similar what Porsche does with 911, Jeep with Wrangler etc.

The interior of MKIV was so cool as well with the driver oriented dash.

I totally agree, it would have been better if they just evolved the last ones body, added some modern tech to the suspension, interior, boosted it to 450-475hp instead of this. Or they should have based this Supra on the LC500 like the last one shared the SC300 platform which would have given it the great proportions and stance it needed, they were not going to get good styling basing it on a BMW roadster.
Old 12-29-18, 12:22 PM
Aprilia
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
The inline 6 has traditionally been the motor option for the Supra.
Yeah I know, but most car makers move on when there is a better alternative.

BMW and inline6's are now 4's, V8's are now blownV6's.

Porshe went water cooled, included a turbo on their non-turbo model etc...

Toyota being in racing and with a sky high budget, I would have assumed they would've made their legendary Supra to the current standards.

I'm actually NOT complaining, just wondering/thinking out loud.

I love inline6's. Maybe no the best in terms of power and weight distribution but once they get going there's something "substantial" about them. For ex, my old MB 300SE was a dog off the line, but once up to 80mph it was surprisingly responsive.

Anyway, I think the new Supra will rock. I just hope they use Toyota valve cover gaskets, the ones BMW makes are ehem,,, nerf? or chewing gum
Old 12-29-18, 08:23 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aprilia
Yeah I know, but most car makers move on when there is a better alternative.

BMW and inline6's are now 4's, V8's are now blownV6's.

Porshe went water cooled, included a turbo on their non-turbo model etc...

Toyota being in racing and with a sky high budget, I would have assumed they would've made their legendary Supra to the current standards.

I'm actually NOT complaining, just wondering/thinking out loud.

I love inline6's. Maybe no the best in terms of power and weight distribution but once they get going there's something "substantial" about them. For ex, my old MB 300SE was a dog off the line, but once up to 80mph it was surprisingly responsive.

Anyway, I think the new Supra will rock. I just hope they use Toyota valve cover gaskets, the ones BMW makes are ehem,,, nerf? or chewing gum
WTF are you talking about?

Inline 6 will always be superior to a V6.
Mercedes Benz has just released their new Inline 6 engine making crazy power #s and FCA (Fiat/Dodge) will be releasing one soon as well making around 400hp.

Inline 6s are much smoother, more refined, produce less vibration and will make more Power all things being equal.
V6 only benefit is they are smaller and can fit into FWD cars.

BMW has never made any V6.
They are know for inline 6s which they continuously update.
Right now they have the B58 in varios tunes (40i cars and new Supra) and S55 (M2, M3 and M4).
BTW the company does internally produce V6s and have yet been able to build a better engine with that format therefore they stay with inline 6.

Now other manufacturers have also given up on the V6.
I hope that Toyota can make a 3JZ before everything goes EV!

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-29-18 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Inline 6 will always be superior to a V6.

Inline 6s are much smoother, more refined, produce less vibration and will make more Power all things being equal.
V6 only benefit is they are smaller and can fit into FWD cars.

NVH used to be a problem with certain early V6 designs (primarily, like on the GM 3.8L, with a 90-degree V-angle), but engineers got a hold on that years ago. I've driven a number of both designs (and owned an in-line 3.0L six in the IS300 I had), and for the most part, can't really tell much difference in refinement between them. You are correct, however, that a V6 is generally more suited for transverse-FWD designs, just as in-lines are more suited for RWD/AWD. In the American market, only one in-line six was ever used transversely/FWD, and that was on the Suzuki Verona...and that was a small-displacement 2.5L, with small cylinder-bores.
Old 12-30-18, 12:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

A bmw inline 6 is a jewel of an engine... great feel, response, sound...
Old 12-30-18, 06:30 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A bmw inline 6 is a jewel of an engine... great feel, response, sound...
The 2.5L I6 in my E36 was buttery smooth and purred so beautifully... when it ran lol.
Old 12-30-18, 03:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
The 2.5L I6 in my E36 was buttery smooth and purred so beautifully... when it ran lol.
can’t have everything
Old 12-30-18, 04:23 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

So true.....

Old 12-30-18, 04:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
NVH used to be a problem with certain early V6 designs (primarily, like on the GM 3.8L, with a 90-degree V-angle), but engineers got a hold on that years ago. I've driven a number of both designs (and owned an in-line 3.0L six in the IS300 I had), and for the most part, can't really tell much difference in refinement between them. You are correct, however, that a V6 is generally more suited for transverse-FWD designs, just as in-lines are more suited for RWD/AWD. In the American market, only one in-line six was ever used transversely/FWD, and that was on the Suzuki Verona...and that was a small-displacement 2.5L, with small cylinder-bores.
Volvo had a FWD transverse based inline 6 called the SI6 in some of its vehicles, Land Rover offered one in a Freelander. Most were equipped with AWD but some were FWD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_SI6_engine

I agree that most modern V6's in most cases are so smooth there is not much if any real difference between them and a inline 6.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra