Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My warranty is about to run out. Is there anything I should do maintenance wise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-17, 05:25 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My warranty is about to run out. Is there anything I should do maintenance wise?

Anything I should do before my warranty expires?
Old 06-16-17, 07:42 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Depending on what vehicle you have, just take it to the dealership service to do a once-over. Under warranty or not, they do get paid on making repairs to your vehicle so they would certainly do some due diligence. Your ask would not be out of norm as many owners do ask their service advisors for a once-over before warranty expiration.
Old 06-16-17, 08:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Long story short: if original factory warranty, any nagging issues, even if one cannot put their finger on it, should be addressed.

I guess this is a generic question as there is no mention of the vehicle....if it's the original warranty, one can get anything they want fixed, and if the dealership doesn't find anything, no skin off their back. This is not true if it's an extended warranty--if the dealership finds nothing, or they find something not covered, there's a diagnostic charge (usually 1 hour). If they find something, that is covered, then there is a deductible.
Old 06-16-17, 11:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If your engine has a timing belt, it might not be a bad idea to change it before the warranty goes....especially if your particular engine is what is called an "Interference" engine. That means, if the timing-belt breaks, the top of the pistons could hit the bottom of the valves, and internal engine damage could result....you certainly don't want that happening right after the warranty expires. Otherwise, if the engine is not an interference engine, it will simply quit running when the belt breaks and leave you stranded. (Most engines, these days, are not interference engines, but there may be a few left). Of course, if your engine uses a timing chain, or a gear-operated chain instead of a belt, you generally won't have those worries (except keeping the oil changed so the chain is well-lubricated)
Old 06-16-17, 01:50 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

A 2014 list of interference engines . http://yourcarangel.com/2014/07/inte...complete-list/
Old 06-16-17, 03:00 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

If you have anything you think may be an issue, such as a strange noises, creaking, vehicle pulling right/left, have them make note. They may find nothing, but if something comes of it after the warranty expires you have documentation to fall back on.
Old 06-16-17, 03:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
A 2014 list of interference engines . http://yourcarangel.com/2014/07/inte...complete-list/
I dont understand what reason anyone needs this info if their warranty is expiring. It's just wasted maintenance as Toyota and Lexus timing belt were destined for 90K or 7 year intervals.
Old 06-16-17, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I dont understand what reason anyone needs this info if their warranty is expiring. It's just wasted maintenance as Toyota and Lexus timing belt were destined for 90K or 7 year intervals.
Timing belts don't always last as long as they are supposed to, due to a number of factors.....sometimes manufacturing problems, sometimes driver abuse of, or excessive stress inside the engine, and sometimes due to factors beyond anyone's control. I've seen them break, even with normal use, in as little as 55K miles (some may have broken even sooner, that I am not aware of). In a worst-case scenario, with an interference-engine, it could (?) mean some real problems if it breaks right after the warranty is up. Otherwise (or if the car has a timing-chain), I agree wth you. I only brought up the worst-case scenario because I didn't know whether it applied to the OP's engine or not.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-16-17 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-16-17, 04:27 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
plus we don't know what kind of vehicle. We don't know if factory warranty, cpo warranty, extended warranty. So we don't know how old or how many miles are on it. Posters are just covering all of the bases then. Even if the knowledge turns out not to be relevant in this case, good information is not a waste.

I know of a vehicle that had the timing belt break at just over forty thousand miles. The engine was ruined. Not that this is a normal thing to have happen.

Last edited by Coleroad; 06-17-17 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-16-17, 09:01 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Long story short: if original factory warranty, any nagging issues, even if one cannot put their finger on it, should be addressed.

I guess this is a generic question as there is no mention of the vehicle....if it's the original warranty, one can get anything they want fixed, and if the dealership doesn't find anything, no skin off their back. This is not true if it's an extended warranty--if the dealership finds nothing, or they find something not covered, there's a diagnostic charge (usually 1 hour). If they find something, that is covered, then there is a deductible.
I'm driving a 2015 NX FSport and yeah It was really a generic question.

I plan making a list of all the little trouble spots and asking them to fix it all.
Old 06-17-17, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I'm driving a 2015 NX FSport and yeah It was really a generic question.
If you have the gas (non-hybrid) 2.0L Turbo in-line four (as most American-market NX models do), then you're OK.....that engine uses a timing chain, and you can disregard the former comments about replacing belts. Still want to keep the oil changed, though, as the chain depends on oil to keep it from wearing out.

A Lexus engine warranty is 6 years/70,000 miles, though...and you say you have a 2015. Unless you are putting way more than the average number of miles on it (which is about 10-12K a year), you shouldn't be very close to the warranty expiration date.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-17 at 08:10 AM.