Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So who is the man, to be the main host for the "new" Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-17, 02:40 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default So who is the man, to be the main host for the "new" Top Gear

We all know Chris Evans quit, THANK GOD. I don't need a ****ing punk *** **** screaming at me that a Lamborghini is FAST and FUN TO DRIVE. For ****s sake shut up, I'm 5'6" and 150lbs, I could go kick your *** with an arm tied behind my back. We all know you are driving fast, no need to scream at the top of your lungs.

Just out of curiosity, who should replace him?????? Watching Rowan Atkinson, on his Top Gear interview, so many years ago, man he'd be the damn perfect host for the new Top Gear. While I love James May, Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond, I know the BBC thinks "Top Gear" is bigger than those three. Well it is MAYBE with the right personalities, personally I think Rowan Atikinson is the right man, he plays the perfect straight man in real life, but his comedic personality is a complete 180 from who he really is. Not to mention he is one HELL of a driver, I just think his ability to maybe blend those roles in real life, hell if he is funny off script, he is the man. I'd love to see Mr Bean host Top Gear, with his deadpan voice, but with those damn facial expressions, personally I love him because he is knowledgeable, a damn expert when it comes to cars and motorsports, he can be serious, but can be so ridiculous at the same time.
Old 06-13-17, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Just out of curiosity, who should replace him??????
With his big collection of private cars and well-known driving-enthusiasm, I'd still say Jay Leno, though he is probably enjoying his retirement and not interested.
Old 06-13-17, 09:11 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't think they really need a Hollywood celebrity to host TG, none of the other guys were, they were car guys and TG started out more as a car show before it turned into a comedy/entertainment show. A celebrity will likely demand too much money and lose interest after a year or two, is Matt LeBlanc even still on it, how long do you think he will host it and also star on a sitcom in the US? I think they should use Ed China or Mike Brewer from "Wheeler Dealers", those guys are really good on that show and are really car guys, Ed China used to be on TG and builds all kinds of crazy powered things when he is not working on cars so he would be perfect when they are building things/do challenges and they likely can do Wheeler Dealers and TG without too much difficulty. As for a celebrity, how about a Bond like Timothy Dalton, that would be interesting if he is into cars.
Old 06-13-17, 12:01 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I don't know who the right host(s) is/are, but what I do know is, it is still not very watchable as is right now. Too forced, still awkward at times and just not all that interesting. For some reason, everything is funny to the current hosts and the laughs aren't natural. The banters aren't natural and yeah...Individually they are likable but it feels like 3 total strangers doing a job. Find a hosts with friends that likes to do the same thing and let the chemistry flow.
Old 06-13-17, 01:16 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Rorie and Harris do a really good job. LeBlanc seems out of place. One...he's not very funny or insightful. And two...he just doesn't mesh well with the other two. It's not a bad show. And much better now that the DJ is gone. But I'd rather they had an all British selection of hosts. Otherwise, it's a weird Franken-show of American and Original TG.
Old 06-14-17, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I had to look at the date to see if that post was from last year

They have a new trio of presenters. At least for the next few years this is a question that's been answered. Matt Leblanc, Rory Reid and Chris Harris.
Old 06-14-17, 10:13 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I still think Rowan Atkinson would be a damn perfect fit, if he just plays himself and not Mr Bean. Okay, maybe Mr Bean when he introduces "The Stig" or at just the right moment once in a damn good while. Its just that I find him as a real person to be that sort of dry wit, dead pan, stiff upper lip, very British type of guy that I think would be perfect to host Top Gear. Granted he's a lot more James May than Jeremy Clarkson, but I personally think that's a damn good thing, we need the guy who can play a straight man when needed, be very insightful, yet just that very dry sense of humor and wit that I think he could deliver. Honestly we all know Rowan could do the slap stick, silly **** all day long, I think it would be a stretch for him to play the straight man with a bit of dry wit and bring a sense of seriousness to the show, there could be other hosts on the show who play the clown.
Old 06-15-17, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Issue is there's no job to fill.
Old 06-15-17, 02:40 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Tim Allen would be a fun choice IMO, and he's recently unemployed.
Old 06-15-17, 10:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Tim Allen would be a fun choice IMO, and he's recently unemployed.
He would be pretty good though I read other networks might pick up his "Last Man Standing" show as it was highly rated yet they killed it for some reason, it is one of the few modern sitcoms I enjoy watching.
Old 06-16-17, 09:35 AM
Socal858
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I had to look at the date to see if that post was from last year

They have a new trio of presenters. At least for the next few years this is a question that's been answered. Matt Leblanc, Rory Reid and Chris Harris.
i like the current lineup and enjoyed the last season- it didn't try too excessively hard to be a carbon copy of the clarkson/may/hammond TG. I lost interest in their new amazon show, THAT show is really forced and uses the same old jokes. it couldn't hold my interest after the Christmas special in Finland.
Old 06-16-17, 04:08 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's a thought: fire the BBC senior management, and bring back the trio. Presto!--high ratings again.

But I do enjoy Mr. Bean.
Old 06-17-17, 01:09 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
He would be pretty good though I read other networks might pick up his "Last Man Standing" show as it was highly rated yet they killed it for some reason, it is one of the few modern sitcoms I enjoy watching.
I love his show too, but I highly doubt it's going to get picked up again
Old 06-17-17, 01:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I love his show too, but I highly doubt it's going to get picked up again
I was just going by some rumors, CMT has expressed interest, think there is another network too. They play re runs of "Last Man Standing" on 3 networks, CMT, Hallmark, and I think FOX or some other channel and it was still highly rated when they cancelled it, likely just due to politics.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3248379
Old 06-17-17, 07:10 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I still think Rowan Atkinson would be a damn perfect fit, if he just plays himself and not Mr Bean. Okay, maybe Mr Bean when he introduces "The Stig" or at just the right moment once in a damn good while. Its just that I find him as a real person to be that sort of dry wit, dead pan, stiff upper lip, very British type of guy that I think would be perfect to host Top Gear. Granted he's a lot more James May than Jeremy Clarkson, but I personally think that's a damn good thing, we need the guy who can play a straight man when needed, be very insightful, yet just that very dry sense of humor and wit that I think he could deliver. Honestly we all know Rowan could do the slap stick, silly **** all day long, I think it would be a stretch for him to play the straight man with a bit of dry wit and bring a sense of seriousness to the show, there could be other hosts on the show who play the clown.
I don't think Rowan Atkinson would do it. He's got a great deal on his royalties from Bean. Heck he did the Snickers commercial as Bean to boost his persona. Going in the opposite direction to feed his car guy thing isn't really necessary IMO. Got all the money he'd ever want from Bean.

I could see Steve Coogan, supplemented by occasional guest appearances by an aging John Cleese. Too bad that Coronation Street guy and Keeping Up Appearances co-star Geoffrey Hughes has passed on. His Ford Cortina and its belching of smoke and toxic gases was priceless. Otherwise Reid and Harris can do well but Leblanc is ok, but not great.

The Beeb ain't going to make changes unless things go drastically wrong like they did with Evans. All of this could have been avoided though...