Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Toyota Camry packs an open-source Linux-based infotainment system

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-17, 12:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2018 Toyota Camry packs an open-source Linux-based infotainment system

Automotive Grade Linux, or AGL, is a division within The Linux Foundation set on developing open-source software for cars that will help support the future of connected cars. The group is made up of more than 100 automakers, suppliers, and tech corporations. We sampled some of the iterations at this year's CES in Las Vegas. Toyota, one of the first two OEMs to join, announced today that a new AGL-backed infotainment system will go on sale later this summer in the 2018 Toyota Camry.

The new system will mark a huge step forward for Toyota and presumably Lexus, which has fallen far behind in the infotainment department. The Camry will be the first vehicle with the new AGL infotainment, but the system's flexibility will help provide an easy transition to other models, including those from Lexus. The big takeaway is improved connectivity and new functionality, though exact details haven't been revealed.

Because AGL is open source, Toyota will focus most of its effort on customizing and personalizing the system for its vehicles. That said, it should give us our first taste of a system that could find its way into products from Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Ford, and others. Because Toyota was one of the first to work on the project, it's had a heavy influence in AGL's development and direction. We'll get our first taste when we drive the Camry later this year.

AGL itself is the result of hundreds of engineers from various members working to build an open-source system. Think of it like Android for smartphones: a common base that various companies adapt and customize. Info gained from the Camry will be fed back to AGL and used to improve the system. The goal is to create a de facto industry standard.
https://www.automotivelinux.org/software/download

Source
Old 05-31-17, 01:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Wow. What a huge upgrade that would be.
Old 05-31-17, 01:10 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

it's about damn time.
Old 05-31-17, 01:10 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

You know what will save them even more development money? Just implement android auto. In vehicle GPS are crap. Just let us hook up our phones!
Old 05-31-17, 01:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
You know what will save them even more development money? Just implement android auto.
It's not about saving them development costs. It has to do with user satisfaction long term. Toyota is not willing to let Google or Apple be the determining​ factor in how the end users likes or dislikes the vehicle.

Generally speaking, Apple phones and Google phones work best when they are new. As you upgrade software and such, it is designed to deteriorate the experience ever so slightly.

I would be royaly pissed if I had a four year old car with an Apple car play only to have to upgrade my phone just to make the system work.

With ^ said, I do think they should offer it and I understand they are on board for these systems, but just not yet.
Old 05-31-17, 02:28 PM
Socal858
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) I truly hope they follow through with maintenance, support, and new additions to the infotainment - that's a lot to promise. Infiniti promised apps and all kinds of expandability of their piece of crap that debuted with the 2014 Q50 (one of which I have lemoned...) and to date, they have left their Android based infotainment to die.

2) that swoopy asymmetric display is driving my brain nuts. that layout is a trip.
Old 05-31-17, 04:51 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting that CES demo hardware specs for input devices were usb touchscreen, lexus remote touch and bmw idrive joystick
Old 06-01-17, 01:02 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Good luck with defacto industry standard. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and no one wants to give up ground on that. All you can hope for is that since Toyota was on the groundfloor it had more control then previous iterations of entune.
Its really quite simple in the wants of people with car infotainment.
-Responsive
-Environment aware HMI
-Natural language voice input/recognition
-allows input of modern devices with wireless control (wired for backup charging etc).
-Separate climate controls, tune and volume *****
-security of system

Android Auto and Apple carplay are too new and take complete control over design which at least Toyota dislikes. Plus the amount of data its collecting is always fun.
Old 06-01-17, 05:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

the cars are always going to be behind the phones so this is for old people who still buy camrys and don't have or don't know how to use a smart phone.
Old 06-01-17, 05:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber

Android Auto and Apple carplay are too new and take complete control over design which at least Toyota dislikes. Plus the amount of data its collecting is always fun.
Well said. I agree with this.
Old 06-01-17, 05:40 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It's not about saving them development costs. It has to do with user satisfaction long term. Toyota is not willing to let Google or Apple be the determining​ factor in how the end users likes or dislikes the vehicle.

Generally speaking, Apple phones and Google phones work best when they are new. As you upgrade software and such, it is designed to deteriorate the experience ever so slightly.

I would be royaly pissed if I had a four year old car with an Apple car play only to have to upgrade my phone just to make the system work.

With ^ said, I do think they should offer it and I understand they are on board for these systems, but just not yet.
Yeah instead they give you a system that's slow and laggy from the start

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the cars are always going to be behind the phones so this is for old people who still buy camrys and don't have or don't know how to use a smart phone.
Agreed. it's also helpful for those with dead batteries and no charging cable. I'm a big proponent of Android Auto / Apple Carplay, but I still see the value of having a base system in case your phone is temporarily incapacitated
Old 06-01-17, 07:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I have Nav in my GS. Guess what I use when I need directions, in car nav or my 2 and a half yr old Galaxy Note 5.
Old 06-01-17, 10:39 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
You know what will save them even more development money? Just implement android auto. In vehicle GPS are crap. Just let us hook up our phones!
Automotive Grade Linux is a project that is developing an operating system for in-car computers. Its first use is in the 2018 Toyota Camry infotainment system but could be used later as the software platform for the instrument cluster, head-up display, telematics and autonomous driving systems.

It is an operating system, NOT an application that runs on an operating system. The operating system is the lowest-level of computer software. It sits between the computer electronics hardware and programs / applications that the human user has access to, and allows the applications to talk to the hardware. It is NOT an application like Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

Automakers that decide to use AGL may wish to offer Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay as applications but Auto and CarPlay are limited. There are reasons why Toyota would choose not to offer them:
  1. They were not designed and developed by Toyota. Toyota does not like to buy and use "off-the-shelf" products.
  2. Off-the-shelf products were not developed by Toyota so Toyota has no control over their quality nor how they are used. The interfaces shown to the user by Auto and CarPlay do not match the interface that Toyota uses in its other infotainment applications. Anyone who has used Lotus Notes knows what I am talking about. I used Lotus Notes as an email application on Microsoft Windows; it worked but it was different enough from other Windows applications that it was frustrating to use (its interface did not quite match the standard Windows interface and its shortcut keystrokes were different so that it required a learning curve before using it).
  3. Android Auto only works with Android smartphones. Apple CarPlay only works with Apple iOS smartphones. People with other types of phones (Windows and BlackBerry for example) are out of luck.
  4. Toyota has selected to use Smart Device Link, an open source vehicle to smartphone link application originally developed by Ford but now open source. SDL should allow the infotainment system to link with more than just Android and Apple phones.
Old 06-01-17, 10:51 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Automotive Grade Linux is a project that is developing an operating system for in-car computers. Its first use is in the 2018 Toyota Camry infotainment system but could be used later as the software platform for the instrument cluster, head-up display, telematics and autonomous driving systems.

It is an operating system, NOT an application that runs on an operating system. The operating system is the lowest-level of computer software. It sits between the computer electronics hardware and programs / applications that the human user has access to, and allows the applications to talk to the hardware. It is NOT an application like Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

Automakers that decide to use AGL may wish to offer Android Auto and/or Apple CarPlay as applications but Auto and CarPlay are limited. There are reasons why Toyota would choose not to offer them:
  1. They were not designed and developed by Toyota. Toyota does not like to buy and use "off-the-shelf" products.
  2. Off-the-shelf products were not developed by Toyota so Toyota has no control over their quality nor how they are used. The interfaces shown to the user by Auto and CarPlay do not match the interface that Toyota uses in its other infotainment applications. Anyone who has used Lotus Notes knows what I am talking about. I used Lotus Notes as an email application on Microsoft Windows; it worked but it was different enough from other Windows applications that it was frustrating to use (its interface did not quite match the standard Windows interface and its shortcut keystrokes were different so that it required a learning curve before using it).
  3. Android Auto only works with Android smartphones. Apple CarPlay only works with Apple iOS smartphones. People with other types of phones (Windows and BlackBerry for example) are out of luck.
  4. Toyota has selected to use Smart Device Link, an open source vehicle to smartphone link application originally developed by Ford but now open source. SDL should allow the infotainment system to link with more than just Android and Apple phones.
those reasons considered, toyota motor company should still offer android auto and apple carplay because the consumers demand them. if there is demand, then the manufacturer should recognize it and provide for its consumers.
Old 06-01-17, 11:01 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Maps in smartphones are great when you have data coverage. Remember you do need data connection for GPS to work, or else you'll be staring at empty screen. I found most rural areas have very bad LTE coverage then your phone is useless for navigation.

Quick Reply: 2018 Toyota Camry packs an open-source Linux-based infotainment system