Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CPO Lexus ES 350 vs MB E Class

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-17, 07:32 AM
martin545
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Lexus ES 350 vs MB E Class

Currently debating between Lexus and MB Sedan CPO or used 3 years 50k miles. Looking for something nicer than a Camry but not wanting to take out a second mortgage for repairs and maintenance.

From my anecdotal experience Mercedes is more luxurious, better materials, and more technology. Lexus is more reliable and lower cost to own. I could care less about the badge on the car, just want a nice car that is quality that I can drive for 10 years with few problems.

I am aware that the MB is a more expensive car new, but at 3 years 50k they are about the same price.

Last edited by martin545; 05-30-17 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-30-17, 10:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

imho they are not in the same category...E Class is a very sweet mid-sized car. ES is a Camry i.e. FWD.....if it were me I would jump on a E class forum to see what the issues are on a particular year....
Old 05-30-17, 10:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

You can get some good CPO deals on the GS too. I'd include the GS350 in your search.
Old 05-30-17, 10:48 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

agreed -- you are comparing apples to oranges here. the e class is in a class above the es. you should be comparing the gs to the e class and then you should choose the gs if you aren't looking to spend a lot in repairs unless you have an extensive extended warranty on the e class.
Old 05-30-17, 11:03 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
imho they are not in the same category...E Class is a very sweet mid-sized car. ES is a Camry i.e. FWD.....if it were me I would jump on a E class forum to see what the issues are on a particular year....
ES is based on an Avalon platform (at least for the 2013 year +) so it is larger than a Camry. However ES is the entry-level Lexus sedan, which in MB's case is the C-class I think. CPO MB's come with 1 year unlimited mile warranties, and you can pay to get it extended to 3 years. The fact that MB caps the CPO warranty to 3 years unlimited miles is a worrisome sign to me that they are cautious as to repair-needs past the 3 year mark. Personally if you want to drive over the next 10 years worry-free, I'm not sure there is a MB model I would recommend that would meet that criteria. So ES would be the better way to go (even a non-CPO unit).
Old 05-30-17, 12:12 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
ES is based on an Avalon platform (at least for the 2013 year +) so it is larger than a Camry. However ES is the entry-level Lexus sedan, which in MB's case is the C-class I think. CPO MB's come with 1 year unlimited mile warranties, and you can pay to get it extended to 3 years. The fact that MB caps the CPO warranty to 3 years unlimited miles is a worrisome sign to me that they are cautious as to repair-needs past the 3 year mark. Personally if you want to drive over the next 10 years worry-free, I'm not sure there is a MB model I would recommend that would meet that criteria. So ES would be the better way to go (even a non-CPO unit).
The entry to the Mercedes-Benz lineup is the A-Class but that is a hatchback. If you are looking for the 4-door entry-level model, that would be the CLA. Regardless, the A-Class hatchback and sedan are much, much smaller inside than the Lexus ES. The ES has no real competitors amongst the German luxury brands.
Old 05-30-17, 01:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by martin545
just want a nice car that is quality that I can drive for 10 years with few problems.

I think this answers your question. The Lexus ES will last longer and be cheaper to maintain than the E-Class.
Old 05-30-17, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Yeah the E Class is a better car, the ES will be more reliable and cheaper to maintain.
Old 05-30-17, 01:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Avalon, actually, but otherwise correct. You could compare a GS to an E-Class, but not an ES. 2 very different cars, and different price points.
Old 05-30-17, 03:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd say drive both the ES and GS Lexus, maybe even an LS if you think it will fit in your budget(just avoid the air suspension option). I'd say the ES compares more favorably to the E-class, as both are designed to be smooth riding luxo-cruisers with no real pretense of sporty handling. The GS has a bit stiffer suspension(and less room in the back seat/trunk compared to both cars), but it will drive/handle a lot nicer IMO, you feel more connected to the road.

As for long term reliability and cost of ownership, Lexus all the way. With the Benz, their build quality is a lot better than it was back in the early/mid 2000's, and I think you'd get good service from a base model V6 E350. The thing with German cars, the more they cost, the more cylinders they have, the repairs become more frequent and expensive vs their cheaper cars(some of them, like BMW's with the twin turbo V8 are real POS's) If you get the E-class, avoid the V8 and get the base suspension, no electronic/air controlled struts/springs.
Old 05-30-17, 04:46 PM
Yanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I'd stick with the old 3.5L V6 and base suspension for the E. A normally yearly maintenance is ~$500/year (not counting tires or other big items)

The Q50 is worth a look, Infiniti depreciates a lot so great for CPO. I think 2014 models had some software issues though.
Old 05-30-17, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Originally Posted by martin545
Currently debating between Lexus and MB Sedan CPO or used 3 years 50k miles. Looking for something nicer than a Camry but not wanting to take out a second mortgage for repairs and maintenance.

From my anecdotal experience Mercedes is more luxurious, better materials, and more technology. Lexus is more reliable and lower cost to own. I could care less about the badge on the car, just want a nice car that is quality that I can drive for 10 years with few problems.

I am aware that the MB is a more expensive car new, but at 3 years 50k they are about the same price.
If you are looking for safety, crashworthiness, and / or a sophisticated chassis/suspension, then an argument could be made for the Mercedes. But if, as your post indicates, you simply want reliability and not have to deal with repairs, then you have less risk with an ES. If and when you DO need service and repairs, you will find that a typical Lexus dealership, though not cheap by any means, is significantly less expensive than a typical Mercedes shop. Mercedes repair shops are not called stealerships for nothing.
Old 05-30-17, 05:44 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL.

If you are looking for safety, crashworthiness, and / or a sophisticated chassis/suspension, then an argument could be made for the Mercedes. But if, as your post indicates, you simply want reliability and not have to deal with repairs, then you have less risk with an ES. If and when you DO need service and repairs, you will find that a typical Lexus dealership, though not cheap by any means, is significantly less expensive than a typical Mercedes shop. Mercedes repair shops are not called stealerships for nothing.
martin545 ignore mmarshall, he doesn't know much about cars. You should definitely consider a 4-7 year old BMW 7-series, it can be had for less and you'll love driving it.

All kidding aside, my wife does really like the look of the E-class but logic/wallet/finances/sanity dictates only as a lease vehicle. To own past the warranty expiration date would be the ES 100%...you could also consider the ES300h depending on your driving needs. For validation, check out a few MB forums to chat with other E-class owners (talks of repair times, electronic gremlins), compare that to the ES thread we have here on CL.
Old 05-30-17, 05:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

A buddy of mine just bought a 2012 CPO E350 with about 60k on it in pretty good shape. I actually like the outside of those cars, and its very nice to drive but man the interior is dated...material quality is better than the ES, but I think the ES' interior feels more modern. E350 is a more solid sophisticated car and you can feel that when you drive them back to back.
Old 05-30-17, 06:17 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL.

Please do not think that Toyota and Lexus vehicles are any less safe or less crashworthy than the European cars. Toyotas are quite safe, solid cars and have been for quite a few years (although some will think that because the doors feel lighter than the heavy door of a Mercedes-Benz, that it is less sturdy).

I do agree that the 4-wheel MacPherson strut suspension of the ES, inherited from the Camry and the Avalon, is not a sophisticated suspension system, but it does its job. The ES rides comfortably and is not meant to be driven aggressively.

Quick Reply: CPO Lexus ES 350 vs MB E Class