Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Verano named Most Dependable Car in the American market

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Buick Verano named Most Dependable Car in the American market

This article uses data that is over a year old now, but still comes to some very interesting conclusions. My own Verano, for 5 years, has been exceptionally reliable (better than even the Japanese-designed vehicles I've owned), though it's not perfect. It has a few programming-quirks in the way the throttle and transmission sometimes respond on low-speed acceleration, and a very small (almost unnoticeable) hairline vibration that is felt under certain acceleration conditions. Although not rough-riding by any means (especially in the summer, when the tires are hot and the rubber is soft), I wish Buick had used cushier, taller-profile tires for a smoother ride in cold weather, and a small V6, similar to the Lexus 2.5L, instead of the EcoTec four. But overall reliability has been exemplary.......my upcoming new Lacrosse is going to have some tall shoes to fill in that regard. (and, yes, I'm still irked at Buick marketing for dropping both this car and the Regal sedan in the American market. GM's marketing is notoriously bad...I'll be the first admit it) .

(Since this a dealer-sourced ad, though, I'll admit it might be a little biased. However, Consumer Reports backs up the Much-Better-Then-Average Reliability rating)

https://www.davearbogast.com/buick-v...dable-vehicle/

Over the years, Buick has become known for its exceptional customer satisfaction ratings. According to the J.D. Power 2016 Vehicle Dependability Study, the Verano has proved to be the most dependable car on the road. However, the Verano was not the only Buick vehicle that received high marks for its reliability. The other class-leaders include the Buick Encore crossover and the Buick LaCrosse luxury sedan. This is a testament to Buick’s commitment to building high-quality automobiles.

By examining the number of owner-reported problems within a 12-month span, the J.D. Power 2016 Vehicle Dependability Study was able to determine each vehicle’s dependability. In comparison to the other automakers in the study, Buick was able to finish third overall. Each year, Buick is among the top car manufacturers in terms of quality. This is good news for the drivers who are seeking a vehicle that won’t require many expensive repairs.

..........An aside note on my part......the rest of it, below, IS just PR stuff LOL.

Aside from its bulletproof reliability, the Buick Verano is also a very fun-to-drive car. The compact sedan’s agile handling and satisfying performance make it hard to beat. It promises to keep the driver fulfilled on an everyday basis.

The new 2016 Buick Verano brings even more excitement to the table. With a total output 180 horsepower and 171 pound-feet of torque, the base Ecotec engine offers just the right blend of power and efficiency. Drivers can look forward to getting an impressive 32 mpg on the open road. The top-of-the-line power source is a turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Buick has tweaked it to produce a thrilling 250 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. When launched from a stop, the turbocharged model takes only 6.2 seconds to reach 60 mph. While the six-speed automatic transmission is smooth and responsive, some drivers will find the manual transmission to be a must-have feature.

Although the Verano is considered to be a compact luxury sedan, it provides plenty of interior room. The Verano’s comfortable seats make it especially relaxing on long road trips. As always, Buick offers a number of upscale features. Even the base model comes standard with 4G Wi-Fi connectivity and cruise control. Some of the available upgrades include a premium Bose sound system, a sunroof, and Buick’s exclusive IntelliLink infotainment system.

Safety is yet another one of the Verano’s strengths. The sedan’s superb five-star safety rating gives it a key advantage over some of its closest competitors. Buick’s renowned Stabilitrak system comes standard. Advanced driving aids such as Side Blind Zone Alert offer drivers an extra dose of security. Not only can the innovative OnStar system offer roadside assistance, but it can also provide driving directions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-25-17 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-26-17, 04:45 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is good news!

I hope they keep it up, seeing I might get the Regal Tour X used in a few years when I am father over the Subaru Outback or Crosstrek.

Time will tell.
Old 05-26-17, 04:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I've looked at all those cars, Encore, Verano, etc. What struck me is their fit/finish seems to be a cut above the other domestic cars when they first came out. Example that I used was that the Encore had a clamshell around the mirror, while the Suburbans etc. Enclaves of the world had a wire going into them totally exposed. There was a LS that had that too, dunno which one, unless my memory is not serving me, and I found that annoying. Little touches do matter. I heard the Encore was made in S Korea and designed by a young Chinese woman for the interior. That implies a different way of thinking than in MI.
Old 05-26-17, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

A Lexus LS that had exposed wires going to to the mirror? Not that I can recall.
Old 05-26-17, 06:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
A Lexus LS that had exposed wires going to to the mirror? Not that I can recall.
Ruh roh is my memory failing? I remember being at a car show with my buddy, and remarking that the Lexus has the entire motor covered in plastic, and that there were wires running to the mirror--could it be 2nd gen? I also remember young kids telling us get the **** out of the car, and I said to my buddy this is like being carjacked--yes we're in a show, but those kids are like 10-12, and they are not afraid to say that to us as adults....

edit oh **** I may not have even noticed on mine

the difference would be GM let it simply run into the back completely in view, looks like Lexus tried to have it go into the center and blocked by the post, and the Euros have always completely hidden the wiring in a clamshell--Buick did this on the newer cars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-96-97-98-99-00-Lexus-LS400-Rear-View-Mirror-OEM/361977067006?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Dc308720aaf0042989e56256010c87454%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D132171437488

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=23233681...pItem=1&chn=ps

Last edited by Johnhav430; 05-26-17 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-26-17, 06:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Good for Buick and thr Verano. But my only comments would be that when I see and here 10-15 year old Veranos on the road lasting 200k or more and outlasting Camrys or Corollas, then I will believe it. The Verano has not been out on the market for more than 5 years if I recall.
Old 05-26-17, 06:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

No, all generations of the LS400 and LS430 have a rear view mirror that mounts to the roof, not the glass. And all the wiring is hidden inside that mount, so there are no wires. The LS460 has a windshield mounted gentex mirror, but all the wiring is covered behind trim pieces.
Old 05-26-17, 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Good for Buick and thr Verano. But my only comments would be that when I see and here 10-15 year old Veranos on the road lasting 200k or more and outlasting Camrys or Corollas, then I will believe it. The Verano has not been out on the market for more than 5 years if I recall.
I can't say I disagree, Jill. That is a point. But Buick marketing certainly is not helping matters any by dropping the American-market versions. That will ensure a lot fewer samples to start with. The SUV market is just eating up sedans.
Old 05-26-17, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I've looked at all those cars, Encore, Verano, etc. What struck me is their fit/finish seems to be a cut above the other domestic cars when they first came out.
Their paint jobs do have some orange-peel in them, and, though durable and chip/scratch resistant, aren't quite in the Toyota/Lexus or Audi class for gloss or mirror-smoothness. But the hardware, and interior parts are solid, first-rate, and have a built-to-last feel that is missing in some other GM products.

Enclaves of the world had a wire going into them totally exposed
The Enclave , like the Lacrosse, is a more traditional American Buick that does not benefit from the German Opel quality.

I heard the Encore was made in S Korea and designed by a young Chinese woman for the interior. That implies a different way of thinking than in MI.
American-market versions of the Encore are built in both North America and South Korea (and, due to strong Encore sales, Buick is canning the American version of the Verano to make even more factory space for it). But the design itself, like with the Verano, Cascada, and Regal, goes directly back to German Opel designs...these are essentially Americanized versions/rebadges of the platforms. The Cascada, in particular, is an almost 100% rebadge...it is very difficult to tell from the European Opel/Vauxhall Cascada, except for the Buick emblems.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-17 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-26-17, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, folks, after I posted this, yes, I know, I realize that, overall, I could probably have used a better source.....usually, I come up with better sources than this one LOL. This article is written in such a way that it's difficult to tell, at first, where it originated. While it does indeed have some factual data in it (particularly on reliability), parts of it are clearly PR ads from salespeople.

So, yeah, I'll agree that this might not be one of my better threads.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-17 at 07:20 AM.