Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Approx 2 weeks in Cadillac XTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 07:27 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I respect your opinion, I wouldn't call the Escalade a "true" Cadillac. It's a body-on-frame truck (if, admittedly, a bling-laden one)...essentially an overdone Tahoe/Subrban, which itself is a passenger-carrying version of the Silverado/Sierrra. And, personally, I would consider the new 2017/2018 Buick Lacrosse, especially with the comfort of the 18" wheel version, to be more of a "True" Caddy than the XTS itself. Today's Caddy sedans, IMO, even in the more complaint drive-mode settings, just ride too firmly.
I agree 100%. I just meant that the Escalade is an unapologetically "American" luxury vehicle, which seems to be what Cadillac's customers want.
Old 05-22-17, 07:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I agree 100%. I just meant that the Escalade is an unapologetically "American" luxury vehicle, which seems to be what Cadillac's customers want.
I don't know if it were ever solved, but the latest Suburban/Escalades had unexplainable howling issues, beyond assembly...nothing like spending 90k and having sounds penetrate the cabin.....2017 and live axle, hmmmm....
Old 05-22-17, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Dealers have said it rides too firmly and that has turned off potential buyers.

As if the depreciation hit on a Caddy wasn't enough of a turn off.
Depends on how it's packaged. If you get one with the huge wheels sure, but I've driven them optioned that way as well as mid optioned on smaller wheels and they ride better than the XTS. Not as well as my LS, but I don't find the ride hard.

You should try these things out yourself before you draw conclusions.
Old 05-22-17, 08:34 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Escalades have a blue collar soul dressed up to be more than it is. It's lipstick on a pig. Sorry, I have an unfair and totally unfounded bias against Escalades and some people who drive them. I have no problem with fleet vehicles or old people driving them. It's the alpha males, and used ones that are usually driven by the ghetto fab. Totally unfair stereotype, I know.
Old 05-22-17, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't know if it were ever solved, but the latest Suburban/Escalades had unexplainable howling issues, beyond assembly...nothing like spending 90k and having sounds penetrate the cabin.....
Howling live axles are nothing new. My late mother's 1977 Plymouth Volare was fine, brand-new, on the test-drive (I checked it out myself before she signed the papers for it), but, the very next morning, after she brought it home, developed a howl in the rear end when you let up on the gas. The service department had to order a whole new rear differential for it.....took a couple of weeks for it to drive, but it solved the problem. The Volare/Aspen, of course, was just one of a large group of notoriously poorly-built vehicles to come to of Detroit in the late 70s and early 80s......from all of the domestic manufacturers, but particularly Chrysler and GM.

2017 and live axle, hmmmm....
Back to 2017, and the new Escalade, Many have claimed that a live axle is easier and simpler to produce and assemble (which may be true, in terms of cost-cutting), but I think another big reason is its noted durability (provided, of course, that it is assembled correctly in the first place LOL), and suitability to heavy towing. As others have noted, though, it doesn't do the ride or handling any good, particularly in bumpy corners....there, an IRS definitely has some advantages.
Old 05-22-17, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ragingf80
It's the alpha males, and used ones that are usually driven by the ghetto fab. Totally unfair stereotype, I know.
Yes, that pimp and pro-athlete image of the Escalade is way out of date. That was true, at least to some extent, 15 years ago. But, today, the Escalade is just another one of a number of big, expensive SUVs that are typically driven in everyday suburban shopping / kiddie-hauling by soccer-moms (and soccer-dads LOL) .
Old 05-22-17, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Dealers have said it rides too firmly and that has turned off potential buyers.
On the CT6, after my own test-drive, I have to agree. I've also read a couple of reviews that question why it has three normal-to-firm drive-modes, yet lacks a COMFORT mode for Cadillac traditionalists and those who like a softer ride. As the dealers have also noted, Cadillac's pursuit of sport-orientation seems to be costing it sales in the sedan department, though one cannot argue that their SUVs are going out the door like candy.

I sampled both the XTS and CT6 and really did not care that much for either of them, although both, I'll admit, had better and more richly-trimmed interiors than the more comfortable-riding but cheaper-interior DeVille/DTS they replaced. And they both had the AWD option for bad weather that the DTS lacked. But one reason (among several) why I myself selected a Buick Lacrosse over any of the Cadillac sedans was the ride-comfort (with 18" wheels) and the effectiveness of the Buick Quiet Tuning.....which, IMO, outdoes even Cadillac's sound-insulation.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-17 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 05:32 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Yes, that pimp and pro-athlete image of the Escalade is way out of date. That was true, at least to some extent, 15 years ago. But, today, the Escalade is just another one of a number of big, expensive SUVs that are typically driven in everyday suburban shopping / kiddie-hauling by soccer-moms (and soccer-dads LOL) .
My old habits die hard. It doesn't help that I was rear ended by some ghetto chick and her beat up Escalade because she was on her cellphone. She had everything ghetto fab. Long fingernails, white Escalade with gold emblems, rims, wig... I got her drivers license and the lived in the middle of Compton.
Old 05-22-17, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ragingf80
My old habits die hard. It doesn't help that I was rear ended by some ghetto chick and her beat up Escalade because she was on her cellphone. She had everything ghetto fab. Long fingernails, white Escalade with gold emblems, rims, wig... I got her drivers license and the lived in the middle of Compton.
Compton is famous for vehicle-thefts. It is one of the settings for a special TV-show where the cops actually use a specially-outfitted "Bait" Escalade they park unattended and leave the keys in to attract and nab thieves.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-17 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-23-17, 12:11 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Depends on how it's packaged. If you get one with the huge wheels sure, but I've driven them optioned that way as well as mid optioned on smaller wheels and they ride better than the XTS. Not as well as my LS, but I don't find the ride hard.

You should try these things out yourself before you draw conclusions.
Nope I don't roll with anecdotal evidence I roll with facts. Feedback from customers is more than sufficient.

Mediocre sales are more proof of it.
Old 05-23-17, 12:13 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't know if it were ever solved, but the latest Suburban/Escalades had unexplainable howling issues, beyond assembly...nothing like spending 90k and having sounds penetrate the cabin.....2017 and live axle, hmmmm....
I never said the Escalade is a good vehicle, I just said that it gives customers what they want.

The Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade triplets are poorly engineered gas hogs with mediocre interiors. They're basically rolling dinosaurs. Anybody who appreciates a truly fine vehicle (for that segment at least) would look into the likes of the GLS, LX, or RR.
Old 05-23-17, 12:15 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

I also don't think the Escalade is very big in pop culture anymore. They're mostly driven by rich white folks lol.
Old 05-23-17, 12:15 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I wonder if anybody laments the diminished cargo space, it went from like 130 to 119. The reason is the older one had removable seats, the current one does not. At 119, it actually has 4 cu. ft. more than a Chevy Traverse, which is a crossover. We had a new Suburban for a few days, and it was too big. Backup cam or not, that thing is hard to maneuver. But, I have to say, fuel economy was excellent, 24? I remember my uncle's early 2000 one do 18 highway on a good day. imho it's way out of date, even an airport service may consider something more modern....Oprah too....
Old 05-23-17, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Nope I don't roll with anecdotal evidence I roll with facts. Feedback from customers is more than sufficient.

So actually driving the car for yourself and forming your own opinion is second to regurgitating what everybody else has said, check. You're the one "rolling with anecdotal evidence", I've driven the car. Sorry, but you're wrong...optioned without the huge 20" rims the CT6 rides fine. I know...because I've driven it...you haven't...so you don't. You can regurgitate what others have said all you want, but you have no experience to share on the topic so what you're saying has no value.
Old 05-23-17, 01:04 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

His anecdotal evidence is no less relevant than customer feedback. It seem hypocritical to say you roll with facts yet you take other people's word for it.

Quick Reply: Approx 2 weeks in Cadillac XTS