Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Decided on a CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Congrats! Hard to go wrong with even the outgoing model. I look forward to trying out the new one.
Old 05-17-17, 03:11 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrats. Great choice.

Looking forward to pics when you pick it up.
Old 05-17-17, 06:42 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the positive input! Just one of the reasons I love this forum. We need to turn in the G37 next week, then we will take delivery of the CX-5. I will post pics for sure.
Old 05-18-17, 07:41 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Good choice, congrats!!

We have been looking at its bigger relative, the CX-9. Just can't decide between that and the Pilot. I'm not sold on the turbocharged four yet.

Ed
I looked at both as well (to replace my wife's 2014 Pilot) - the Honda dealerships here in the Dallas area are unscrupulous in marking up above MSRP on the Pilot's. Unfortunately the Mazda dealers are also equally crappy (we have what we have, you'll buy what we have, everything is MSRP by the way) but I really did genuinely like the CX-9. It is practical, fun to drive, the Grand Touring trim is surprisingly plush. I'd choose that over the Pilot any day...keep in mind the CX-9 you hit max torque at lower RPM's thanks to the turbocharger.
Old 05-18-17, 04:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
i think the cx5 looks better, plus even in GT trim its cheaper than a base nx.
Originally Posted by davyjordi
i agree that the cx5 looks much better, dare i say more premium. mazda has really done a great job lately in the styling department. lexus could learn a lesson or two.
Originally Posted by LexBob2
Obviously I can't speak for dseag2, but when we were CUV shopping the CX-5 met all of our expectations/requirements, including value vs. the NX. It's been beaten to death, but the styling of the NX was a deal breaker for both my wife and me.
Originally Posted by dseag2
I don't dislike the looks of the NX, but I just like the looks of the CX-5 more... both inside and out. The interior reminds me a lot of my Audi (**** and all), so it feels familiar.
if a mazda cx5 can be compared favorably over a lexus nx then it would seem lexus missed the mark.

i just think the market is moving so fast, and toyota/lexus seem to be practicing "just too late" (or just plain weird) designs.
Old 05-18-17, 04:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The CX-5 is nice enough that I would seriously consider one over an X1 or a GLC too. Maybe less a GLC.
Old 05-18-17, 04:14 PM
simonasj
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Just out of curiosity, did you consider the new Honda CRV? If no, why not? If yes, what made you choose the CX-5 over CRV?

So, I posted way back about going with a compact SUV when our lease ends June 3 on our G37 Convertible. Thanks to all for the many suggestions. In the interim, I have done lots of research and the reviews of the new '17 Mazda CX-5 are unanimously good.

We test drove a Grand Touring model today. I like the new exterior styling because IMHO it has a more elegant look than the previous models. The interior is also really well-finished. (Funny thing is, the trim is an "aluminum wood grain", which is what I had in my '13 GS F-Sport.) The whole package reminds me of my Audi. $16k cheaper, but it still feels premium. The CX-5 is incredibly quiet. It handles really well, which is not surprising for Mazda. What surprised me is the smooth power flow from the non-turbo 2.5 4 cylinder and the 6-speed transmission. It has great pickup at just about any speed.

It reminded me of when I test drove my A4. There was no need to try anything else. The CX-5 is a great all-around CUV at a great price. We got a great deal as well. 63% residual made the lease deal a no-brainer. We will be picking one up next week. I'll post pics when we do.
Old 05-18-17, 04:14 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

been in dozens of cx-5's (uber) pretty nice, but not lexus nice just like lexus nx isnt mercedes nice

the nx turbo is really fun for a crossover imo
Old 05-18-17, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You haven't been in dozens of the new CX-5, it just came out. Big upgrade inside.
Old 05-18-17, 08:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by simonasj
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, did you consider the new Honda CRV? If no, why not? If yes, what made you choose the CX-5 over CRV?
I don't care for the styling of the CRV, especially the interior. The '16 Accord on my signature I leased for my cousin. It is a great car for the money but not my personal preference.
Old 05-21-17, 10:21 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
One question, how do you think it compares to a lexus nx?
2017 Cx-5 is a great mid size SUV overall, The NX F-sport in Sport mode is a little sportier, maybe quicker handling & acceleration. Definetly edgier styling inside & out.
Old 05-21-17, 01:28 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you! We are most likely going with Machine Grey, which is the dark gray color. Boring, I know, but the Soul Red (Candy Apple) is beautiful but not for us. I wanted white, but better half says it screams "mommy mobile". Yes, Grand Touring for sure!
I had one as a loaner for my wife's CX-9 last year--we liked it a lot. Did you look at the Hyundai Tucson, and if so, what made you choose the Mazda over the Hyundai?
Old 05-21-17, 01:31 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The CX-5 is nice enough that I would seriously consider one over an X1 or a GLC too. Maybe less a GLC.
I just had an X1 loaner for my 328. There's absolutely no way I would get an X1 over a CX-5; there was nothing that felt premium about that car at all--even the engine sounded about the same as a CX-5 or CRV. The driver's seat was so narrow, my legs felt like they were hanging over the sides (there were no bolsters, as they were no the sport seats). Granted, there weren't too many option packages on it (even with a $44K price), but totally not worth it at all.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-21-17 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-21-17, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I had one as a loaner for my wife's CX-9 last year--we liked it a lot. Did you look at the Hyundai Tucson, and if so, what made you choose the Mazda over the Hyundai?
I compared both when I was shopping for my mom last year. The Tucson is nice but not nearly as upmarket feeling as the CX-5. It feels like a premium vehicle when everything else in that segment feels very economical.
Old 05-21-17, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The Tucson is nice but not nearly as upmarket feeling as the CX-5. It feels like a premium vehicle when everything else in that segment feels very economical.
I might be wrong, but, like a lot of car people, I think the main reason you like the CX-5 over the Tuscon is its more sophisticated chassis and somewhat more responsive handling......in the Mazda tradition. But it's hard to fault Hyundai and Kia build-quality nowadays, particularly in their respective vehicle-classes.

Quick Reply: Decided on a CX-5