Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Swapalease question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 02:36 PM
shagerman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapalease question

Hopefully this is the right forum to ask this...

I am thinking of getting rid of my 2016 IS200T f-sport.

Thinking of using swapalease since postings on Craigslist and a few other forums haven't had any success. I read some reviews on the site and a common answer was that the best deals go quick. Which makes sense. So I'm just asking if I could get a general opinion if my lease is a 'good deal' based off some Lexus owners history.

Some info on my car...originally a 36 month lease with 15k per year, (28 months left on lease), currently has 5800 miles, fully loaded with nav, pre-collision/radar cc, backup cam w/ rear cross traffic alert, blind spot, heated/cooled seats, etc. Black on Black.

My payments are $420/mo after tax. ($0 down, and no negative equity rolled in)

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-17, 03:35 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I often check swapalease whenever I am leasing a new car to see what others are paying (there are some variables that you don't always know like how much that person put down) however, many times if they put a lot of money down they will ask you for a down payment.

I would put in your year, and model and see how your monthly payment compares to others also trying to get rid of their lease. Important to check how much those others have total miles and also how much they have already used up because that also affects how good or bad the deal is in my opinion. Who wants a car that is slightly cheaper than yours but almost no miles left on the lease when they could have yours with more mileage on the lease left for only a small amount more per month.
Old 05-01-17, 01:14 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

What would be a benefit for me to take over used car lease over leasing new one? Serious question.

Here is what I can currently get in Los Angeles

2017 NEW Lexus IS 200t

$329 + Tax

Initial Singing Fee: $1,500
10,000 miles/yr, 36months
MSRP : $39,405
Residual Value : $22,854
Rebate : $1,500
Old 05-01-17, 02:11 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
What would be a benefit for me to take over used car lease over leasing new one? Serious question.

2017 NEW Lexus IS 200t

$329 + Tax

not apple to apple comparison. He has 5000 miles more annually than your deal. That raises the lease substantially

Last edited by ssmoked; 05-01-17 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-01-17, 02:14 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shagerman
Hopefully this is the right forum to ask this...

I am thinking of getting rid of my 2016 IS200T f-sport.

Thinking of using swapalease since postings on Craigslist and a few other forums haven't had any success. I read some reviews on the site and a common answer was that the best deals go quick. Which makes sense. So I'm just asking if I could get a general opinion if my lease is a 'good deal' based off some Lexus owners history.

Some info on my car...originally a 36 month lease with 15k per year, (28 months left on lease), currently has 5800 miles, fully loaded with nav, pre-collision/radar cc, backup cam w/ rear cross traffic alert, blind spot, heated/cooled seats, etc. Black on Black.

My payments are $420/mo after tax. ($0 down, and no negative equity rolled in)

Thanks in advance!
whatever you list, you better offer some type of incentative (cash), for someone take over that lease. Or else they would just lease new for or near same cost
Old 05-01-17, 02:41 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ssmoked
not apple to apple comparison. He has 5000 miles more annually than your deal. That raises the lease substantially
Just did quick calc. Residual drops from 61% to 58% = $1,182
$1182/36=$33 round up to $35 for financing.

We do not know what his MSRP is and what his payment before tax is.
Old 05-01-17, 03:41 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

You need to offer incentive of at least $1,000.

Plus you need to check the tax laws in your state, as the person acquiring the lease maybe responsible for all the taxes even if you already paid them or if they were included in your lease payment.
Old 05-01-17, 08:12 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I also believe whoever takes over your lease needs to be approved by Lexus financial and I am not sure but there could be a transfer fee?
Old 05-01-17, 09:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you need to offer incentives otherwise no one would care. and you also pay to swapalease on top which is more money.

bottom line, the way i see it, you go to swapalease if you are desperate

there is a transfer fee for LFS and yes the new owner needs to have at least the same credit as current owner
Old 05-01-17, 09:34 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
you need to offer incentives otherwise no one would care. and you also pay to swapalease on top which is more money.

bottom line, the way i see it, you go to swapalease if you are desperate

there is a transfer fee for LFS and yes the new owner needs to have at least the same credit as current owner
just looked. Swaplease total fee $144.95 and LFS $200. Usually cash offer of $500-1000 to buyer. Still pretty cheap to get out the lease, considering you aren't responsible for wear and tear and tire replacement anymore
Old 05-01-17, 09:40 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I do know that companies like Lexus and Mercedes have strict requirements for who qualifies to take over the lease. A lease take over is much harder to qualify for than the original lease was. BMW is the easiest of the luxury brands.
Old 05-01-17, 10:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

2017 NEW Lexus IS 200t

$329 + Tax

A good deal there, but not apples to apples for what the OP currently drives. From what he listed as options, his sticker should at least be in the mid $40k's. The advertised base car has few to no options. However, from what I hear now, someone could probably lease a brand new 200t F-sport with nav in the mid to high 300's/mo, with minimal down.
Old 05-02-17, 12:45 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A good deal there, but not apples to apples for what the OP currently drives. From what he listed as options, his sticker should at least be in the mid $40k's. The advertised base car has few to no options. However, from what I hear now, someone could probably lease a brand new 200t F-sport with nav in the mid to high 300's/mo, with minimal down.
Look at it this way, If I could get car with same options as OP currently drives for exactly same payment and let's assume that I like his color combo. What are the intensives for me to take USED vs. NEW?
OP needs to come up with an offer that will make it better than leasing new.
Old 05-02-17, 03:38 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Look at it this way, If I could get car with same options as OP currently drives for exactly same payment and let's assume that I like his color combo. What are the intensives for me to take USED vs. NEW?
OP needs to come up with an offer that will make it better than leasing new.
Easy. If you didn't want a 36 month lease due to over sea relocation or just want to test out the car with a shorter lease and see if that's what you want. Also with new, you are going to pay around 800 for acquisition cost and dealer fee, which the op already paid. If someone offered something I liked, say M6 lease with 1 year leftover, I would jump on it if they pay all the transfer fees and give me cash on top to sweeten the deal. Since my only goal is to use it for short term and less commitment
Old 05-02-17, 05:18 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Easy. If you didn't want a 36 month lease due to over sea relocation or just want to test out the car with a shorter lease and see if that's what you want. Also with new, you are going to pay around 800 for acquisition cost and dealer fee, which the op already paid. If someone offered something I liked, say M6 lease with 1 year leftover, I would jump on it if they pay all the transfer fees and give me cash on top to sweeten the deal. Since my only goal is to use it for short term and less commitment
You might want to read info. that the OP has offered so far.
28 months left not mach sorter that 36 months.
With ZERO down acquisition cost is rolled into monthly payments.
It depends how soon he is willing to wait for that one person willing to take over. I think that he need to make the deal that would look good to larger population.
He also can find out what the buyout is and look for a someone who is willing to buy at this point as well.

Quick Reply: Swapalease question