Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

considering 1st gen is300 and 1st gen is350, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-17, 02:55 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I gotta say that I too have always admired the first gen. IS300. I remember test driving one back in 01, and then a manual in 02. I never pulled the trigger and always have somewhat regretted not getting one. For me, the car's personality and design elements from that era were spot on. Unique, classy and sexy. If you can find a nice one today, I would think it would be hard to pass up. As mentioned before, all of them running around these days seem pretty beat up or riced out...its really too bad.
Old 04-17-17, 12:04 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Meh no comparison imo, 350 has tons more power and creature comforts along with much better mpg to boot.
I've had both, my IS300 was a 5-speed, the car was not quick or sporty in my opinion.

The first gen IS350 is a great car, fast, and reliable. For some reason the new IS350, RC350, and GS350 all feel slower than my 06 IS350... maybe its the weight or the 6 speed auto vs 8 in the newer ones, but I like the early IS350s!
Old 04-18-17, 09:49 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

OP, given your criteria and history...

2001-2005 IS300 hands down. Find one with a clean title, factory manual transmission and factory LSD if you can. Yes, those are hard to find but you can convert an automatic to manual with aftermarket pedal kits as well and the LSD was still an option with the automatics. Swap the stock engine for a 1JZ-GTE VVT-i or 1JZ-GTE VVT-i, swap the W55 for an R154, AR5, CD009 or Tremec Magnum. For all but the Tremec you'll probably want 3.91 or 3.7 gears. Do some cosmetic TLC. Done. Enjoy.

The 2006-2012(?) IS250 6-speed manuals are also an option if you really like that body style and are fine with the 2.5L V6 engine. A Torsen LSD can be swapped into those models from the common Supra MKIII/Cressida/IS300 rear differential carrier (and unless I'm mistaken I think the FRS/BRZ/GT86 rear differential carriers are the same). It's not the same feel as the '01-'05 model.

Alternatively, if big coupes are also your thing I agree that Infiniti G37 6-speed manuals are also worth considering. And SC300 5-speed manuals. And 2015+ Mustang EcoBoost 6-speed manuals. There's also the FRS/GT86/BRZ manual but that's much smaller and not as powerful or boost or horsepower friendly out of the box as the IS300 and the big coupes mentioned.

All of the JZ engines drink gas. Their fuel economy is certainly livable but not fuel efficient. VVT-i's (USDM GE and JDM GTE) are supposed to be ever, ever so slightly more fuel efficient but in reality not by much. It's just not an engine system designed for that purpose. JZ's were designed foremost to compete with Nissan's RB inline sixes on the performance front with all other considerations like fuel economy being secondary. The only exception is the direct injection auto-only JDM 1JZ/2JZ-FSE... which you don't want.

I think you'd enjoy the early IS300.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-18-17 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 08:08 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ...............

As a previous owner of a mint 2002 IS300 5sp and now onwer of a 06 IS350, the later throws rocks at the IS300 in all aspects.
Yes the 300 can be build into a monster with the 2JZ-GTE engine but that takes tons of $$ and time to do. The 350 is a better ride has better MPG's is a looker and is much more comfortable, to top it off it has the best of two worlds luxury and power.

I would never opt for the 300 vs the 350 if anything I would go for the IS-F over the two.

But yeah......shifting is addictive on manuels so I can see why you want the 300.

Great cars you just have to pick what you really want.
Old 04-22-17, 03:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh0pp3r
So my lease is up in a phew months on my Rc f-sport. Kinda has confirmed that i don't want a monthly payment since i am student but i did enjoy having luxury items like ABS, A/C, ohh and air bags, those may come in handy. My car history is early 90's cars, 240x's, mr2's, Rx7's . The RC has been the first car iv had with 0miles (figuratively since it had 10) and I enjoyed it, but don't love it.

But I've always had an interest in the first gen Is300. I like the looks, i like th power plant, i like the fact that parts are abundant for function and form, I'm more of a function kinda guy but its great to have options.

and why the 1st gen (08-13) is350? again, i like the looks of the car, especially in blue. pretty much same power plant as the Rc i have and i think lighter. parts are becoming a bit more abundant and frankly i do have dealer wholesale access which is a plus.

my concerns with the is350 is I'm not a fan of auto transmission. paddle shifters and what not don't do it for me. which is the one thing i currently disliked about the rc i have. and i get it, luxury car not really performance and new age tech. cool beans, but the is300 still has a standard option.

so Lexus community, I ask. what are your thoughts between the 2. I'm not asking about other cars, I'm not asking for comparison between other cars. thoughts and experience between these 2 models.

any insight with these cars is greatly appreciated. happy to answer any questions to this.
If you want to refer to the car by "generation", the IS350 was the 2nd Gen IS. Other than pricing, I can't see a good reason to go with an IS300 over an IS350. IS350 has more power, better tech, is newer; no, it doesn't have the chronograph-style instrument panel, but that's about it.
Old 04-22-17, 03:31 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The only reason to go for the older IS300 3.0 inline six is for the almost go-cart-like handling!
Else it's an older, less attractive, much smaller, slower and less refined car.

As time passes by, cars mature and grow in size.
Becoming bigger, faster, more refined, better equipped, safer, but the size and weight hampers the agility and dynamics...
Old 04-22-17, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The only reason to go for the older IS300 3.0 inline six is for the almost go-cart-like handling!
Else it's an older, less attractive, much smaller, slower and less refined car.
I don't totally agree. IMO, the 1Gen is also, noticeably, more solidly-built than the 2 and 3Gen. It is essentially a rebadged Toyota Altezza. The 1Gen, though, has some quirky transmission and shift-lever characteristics that take some getting used to....which I outlined in an earlier post.
Old 04-22-17, 10:09 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't totally agree. IMO, the 1Gen is also, noticeably, more solidly-built than the 2 and 3Gen. It is essentially a rebadged Toyota Altezza. The 1Gen, though, has some quirky transmission and shift-lever characteristics that take some getting used to....which I outlined in an earlier post.
^^ I agree with this. It's a more driver oriented car than the 2nd and 3rd generation models. The chief designer of the original Altezza/IS300 Nobuaki Katayama was also involved with the design of the 1980's AE86 and he was the chief designer of the 90's Soarer aka Lexus SC as well as the MKIV Supra. Driving dynamics in a compact RWD sedan were of great emphasis. The first generation was intended from the design stage as a very driver involving car but with four doors and some practicality. And they are very solidly built cars at that. Upon release in 1998 (Japan market) were more or less designed to be modified from the start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuaki_Katayama
https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.p...aki%20Katayama

It's unfortunate that we never got the 6-speed manual 3S-GE BEAMS version in the USA.

It definitely shines in the handling department, hands down.

As time passes by, cars mature and grow in size.
Becoming bigger, faster, more refined, better equipped, safer, but the size and weight hampers the agility and dynamics...
This is very true and it's an annoyingly dumb trend that every model generation a great platform always gets considerably bigger. It's one thing when it's something like a Camry or Accord because... meh, who cares really... but when it's affecting a special and driver oriented model it can be quite annoying.

Kind of like how the current BMW 3 and 4 series are really more like what a 5 series used to be, how the 2 series is really more like what the 3 series used to be, how a 5 series is now more like a less luxurious older 7 series and how a current 7 series... is just huge.

Toyota's current CEO is focused on emphasizing a few driver oriented cars and has so far taken some risks on smaller in size platforms. To date there isn't anything they sell that hits the same mark as an IS/Altezza in a sedan shape. The FRS/GT86 is the closest thing but in a coupe body.

The original IS300 may be slow (without a turbo) but it's a very fun and rewarding car to drive.

The later ones are very good cars in their own right (the IS350 notably) but they aren't really the same experience. The current IS200t's look fun, albeit in a much bigger chassis, but there is no way to option the Torsen LSD that RC200t F-Sports can have. The first generation IS300's all had the option of a Torsen LSD. And if you want a manual, well... only the first and second generation IS offered those.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-22-17 at 11:14 PM.