IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thinking of a 2nd Gen IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 08:57 AM
ezbmr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of a 2nd Gen IS350

I currently have a BMW, 528 but it is 17 years old. The car is pretty tired and would be much better with some new parts, a lot of them I have in my garage waiting but the car isn't worth much these days and I have owned it for 13 years. I am thinking of a 2008-2010 IS 350. Back when they came out in 2006, I test drove one and liked it mostly. The salesman foolishly reminded me of the loss you get when you drive off the lot. I plan on getting Nav and ML, plan on the dark blue or dark grey. I am interested in knowing some of the things I haven't seen yet. I haven't gone to a dealer, I don't want the pressure yet. I like the new dash and 8spd auto of the 3rd gen, but the looks, lighter body and interior better on the 2nd gen. I plan on probably having the struts replaced if they haven't, I am hoping to get one that is done already. If I go for a drop, it won't be a big one, 1" at most prob.

So my questions are:

Do any of them have folding side mirrors?
Do they have an oil dipstick unlike the 2006+ BMW?
Do they have a Transmission Dipstick, or is it like the BMW and you fill it from the underside?
Is there any problem with rubber moldings breaking, my front window molding is practically gone.
What is the longevity of the suspension parts, ie sway bar links, control arms?
Are a lot of the parts available at the Toyota Dealer, a lot of engine, if not tranmission parts are the same.
Do you have to replace the transmission pan when you do a transmission fluid change like the newer BMWs.
How easy is it to make the dvd play while moving?
What kind of MPG are you realizing?
What is the longevity of things like Valve Cover Gaskets, Transmissions, Cooling Systems?
Old 01-24-16, 02:55 PM
ColdFusion
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I can provide some input as a '06 IS350 owner.

1. Yes, they are manual folding. I believe the IS-F ones are electronically controlled.
2. Yes.
3. I don't believe so. Changing transmission fluid has to be done from the underside of the cdar.
4. Mine are cracked, but not gone.
5. No input unfortunately; car still feels solid after 115k miles.
6. Depends on the part. Some shared parts can be purchased from Toyota parts, but others are Lexus specific. Parts are much cheaper online vs. from the dealerships.
7. No input, sorry.
8. Wait we can play DVD's in our car? lol
9. ~20MPG avg, 50/50 local and freeway driving.
10. None of mine have been changed yet, although there may be a slight leak on my valve cover gasket.

Hope that helps a bit
Old 01-24-16, 03:22 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 139 Posts

-Transmission fluid have to be change at dealership or whoever that's got the machine to do it, and even then u can only change some of the fluid and not all of it...
-it is very easy to make ML system's dvd player to work while car is moving... there is a DIY on here somewhere that u need to ground a wire or something to the nav system... ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...le-moving.html ) or get the VAIS system ( http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php ) or get the prestigious society system ( http://www.prestigioussociety.com/ )

Last edited by 604GSE21; 01-24-16 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 05:19 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would go with 2010 IS350 or 2008 IS-F.
Old 01-24-16, 06:51 PM
jaynz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For dvd while driving, rather than cutting stuff, I just installed http://www.beatsonicusa.com/nav-dvd-...ic-tvk-32.html

and a AVC1 video input cable http://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/c...e-harness.html

and one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Mirabox-...-/201410582111

So I (or anyone in the car with me) can stream phone screen to the display for plex, google music etc too. Total cost just over $200USD incl shipping
Old 01-24-16, 06:52 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

-Toyota has lifetime fluid in their transmissions so it is not meant to be change. However toyota/lexus offers the change to change them if you feel its necessary. Some people (not hired by toyota/lexus) say its best to change it every 100k miles but there has been no benefit to changing other than preventative maintenance. Most cars that have 200k on the dial has never had it changed.

-its against DOT laws to have DVD's playing in driver cockpit because its a distraction to the driver however there are some sites that will show you how can get them to play. In my car I have done it. It requires cutting and grounding the brake wire behind the Nav.

-Toyota will do most of the maintenance that lexus offers. They will even order parts if needed be how ever warranty claims have to be done at a lexus dealership

-Suspension and drive train parts I have yet to change or have any issues with @134k

-As for longevity of gaskets, seals etc, i have yet to change any of mine as well as had any input from people who have had gasket issues. The only thing I can recommend changing as soon as you get any IS is to replace the radiator cap. The OEM ones have a fault that breaks over time. I had one break on me and I had to tear down my entire cooling system to fish out all the little parts from the cap.
Old 01-25-16, 01:08 AM
hodberta
Driver School Candidate

It requires cutting and grounding the brake wire behind the Nav.
Old 01-25-16, 06:02 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ezbmr
I currently have a BMW, 528 but it is 17 years old. The car is pretty tired and would be much better with some new parts, a lot of them I have in my garage waiting but the car isn't worth much these days and I have owned it for 13 years. I am thinking of a 2008-2010 IS 350. Back when they came out in 2006, I test drove one and liked it mostly. The salesman foolishly reminded me of the loss you get when you drive off the lot. I plan on getting Nav and ML, plan on the dark blue or dark grey. I am interested in knowing some of the things I haven't seen yet. I haven't gone to a dealer, I don't want the pressure yet. I like the new dash and 8spd auto of the 3rd gen, but the looks, lighter body and interior better on the 2nd gen. I plan on probably having the struts replaced if they haven't, I am hoping to get one that is done already. If I go for a drop, it won't be a big one, 1" at most prob.

So my questions are:

Do any of them have folding side mirrors?
Yes, manually, Automatic is only from japan.
Do they have an oil dipstick unlike the 2006+ BMW?
Yes
Do they have a Transmission Dipstick, or is it like the BMW and you fill it from the underside?
Transmission fluid is *Lifetime* Should be changed at dealer with proper equipment
Is there any problem with rubber moldings breaking, my front window molding is practically gone.
Depends on the seasons you experience. My 06 is lifting but not Cracked. I live in NYC
What is the longevity of the suspension parts, ie sway bar links, control arms?
I had a leaking strut around 50k, Bought stock shocks off an IS with 80k and Im still good. My car is now at 70k
Are a lot of the parts available at the Toyota Dealer, a lot of engine, if not tranmission parts are the same.
I think it depends on your dealer, there are a couple on the forum that cater to all your Oem part needs.
Do you have to replace the transmission pan when you do a transmission fluid change like the newer BMWs.
Transmission is lifetime and sealed so you wouldnt be able to change properly without the proper gear.
How easy is it to make the dvd play while moving?
There is an aftermarket device that allows for such a need
What kind of MPG are you realizing?
06 IS350, Light foot, I drive NYC street so alot of stop and go not alto of highway, I avg 17MPG on a good week. 14 if I have a heavy foot
What is the longevity of things like Valve Cover Gaskets, Transmissions, Cooling Systems?
Precise numbers not too sure, except for transmission. If youre talking about AC, my AC is still ice cold for a 10 year old car.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-16, 09:06 PM
ezbmr
Driver

The 2010 sounds good, found a 2012 with 65k, but it has the light interior, the silver exterior and no ML sound. It is L-Certified and 22k, so it has that going for it.
Old 01-27-16, 12:06 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2008 IS350 and get about 30mpg on the highway keeping it around 75mph. The maintenance history of my car was kept up very well by the previous owner, so I'm sure that helps a lot.

Also, I believe you can use the VIN to look up the maintenance history on the Lexus website (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It helped me be more confident when making my decision to purchase the car I did.
Old 01-28-16, 11:07 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Get a newer one. They improved the steering wheels quiet a bit and I think they did a few updates like the headlamps. If not, get a IS-F.
Old 01-28-16, 02:02 PM
acrite99
Driver School Candidate

ISF all day!!
Old 02-13-16, 06:53 AM
ezbmr
Driver

Found one I am curious about, it isn't a 2010 unfortunately, it is a 2011. It it black, no ML sound, light interior, Michelin A/S 2 Tires, 18" Rims, Tint. Figure if I can get it for 16k, it might be mine. I still like the idea of the dark blue or charcoal and ML sound.
Old 02-13-16, 09:38 AM
evopat
Driver School Candidate

Well I have no issues with my 2008 is350. Only 35000 miles on her. Just put new bfg comp as2 on her.

I get 28 mpg highway about 22/24 around town. I have the color you are looking for. PM me if you are interested as I am headed to a Z06. So wife says the baby must go.
Old 02-13-16, 10:02 AM
ezbmr
Driver

My sister lives up there and wants me to come by, I might just have to go up there and look at it. I checked title, if they give me my price, esp if they buy my car. It might just be. Does the std Nav have dvd to play movies like the ML?

Quick Reply: Thinking of a 2nd Gen IS350