Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How popular is Lexus in the USA?

Old 03-28-17, 05:11 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Masonchoi
Do you have any evidence to prove it ?
Have you tried google? you asked, he answered. It's rude to make it look like he has to prove his answer because you don't believe it. It's up to you to research it and disprove him.

http://www.businessinsider.com/merce...ca-2016-2017-1

The top of this forum also has stickies to monthly sales data. Easy enough to look up December 2016 as they include year end numbers too.

Last edited by My0gr81; 03-28-17 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-28-17, 07:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Do you have any evidence to prove it ?
Sales numbers are easily attainable.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/01/05/me...ury-car-sales/
Old 03-29-17, 08:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
It's actually crazy how popular Lexus IS in the USA. It's main market is here in the USA. Almost every other car i see in my town or the highway is a Lexus doesn't matter old or new.
it varies by region a lot though. you may believe 'almost every other car' is a lexus in your town or the highway but that's obviously not true. probably because there's no lexus dealer closer than 90 miles from me, there's almost zero lexus in my town or on highways. amazingly i see more teslas!
Old 04-05-17, 03:05 PM
Cole2is
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus screams ultimate luxury in the US nobody does it better
Old 04-05-17, 10:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Lexus came out of the gate so strong, they are riding on that high since. That momentum has been unstoppable. But other brands are also very much top tier luxury. What I believe has dropped Lexus recently is adding four cylinder motors. Not as refined, and more or less in the same league as Honda, Toyota, and Nissan as far as mechanics go. But the other competitors are doing the same thing, so it's all even.
Old 04-06-17, 02:46 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cole2is
Lexus screams ultimate luxury in the US nobody does it better
Lexus is still viewed as a notch below the Germans, and for legitimate reasons too.
Old 04-07-17, 03:36 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Same in China/Taiwan. MB is the GOLD STANDARD. If you can get an MB AMG, even better!!

In the USA where I live, especially in SoCal,.........Seems like every house wife/family got an RX (standard issue, I guess).

The ES300h is very nice and EXPENSIVE in ANY ASIAN COUNTRY (WORLD TOO?) due to the excessive "tariff". This is true for any "import", including the MB which makes it even more expensive. Often 2 to 3 X what the price is in the USA!!!

Greeting

I lived in South Korea right now, so I signed a ES300H contract Last week.

Btw, German's Top 3 brands (BMW,BENZ,AUDI) are so popular in Korea, also I considerd to buy a BMW 520D OR BENZ E CLASS. on the contrary Lexus is not much popluar than like them

I really wonder is it same happen in USA too?

So.. How situation about Lexus popularity In USA now?
Old 04-07-17, 03:43 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Notch below in terms of WHAT???

RELIABILITY IS WAY WAY LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF BMW, MB, AND AUDI (OR ANY EURO BRAND FOR THE RECORD).

ONLY THE BLIND or PEOPLE WHO CARES WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINKS OF THEMSELVES WILL BUY EURO BRANDS in Asian countries. This is so true in Asia, especially in SOME business circles where if you as a successful business man go and pick up your client in a vehicle other than an MB S CLASS, you will NOT GET THE CONTRACT!!! SO I guess if I was in that situation, I will cuss all the way to the airport!!! Then I will smile with the client on the way back!!! LOL 😋😋😋

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Lexus is still viewed as a notch below the Germans, and for legitimate reasons too.
Old 04-07-17, 03:50 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I think Lexus had to come out with the 4 cylinder​ engines to remain competitive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Lexus (not Toyota) is the last one to go with 4 cylinder engines as all other "Luxury brands" did it BEFORE Lexus. So Lexus HQ must have studied this issue at length and acted accordingly.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Lexus came out of the gate so strong, they are riding on that high since. That momentum has been unstoppable. But other brands are also very much top tier luxury. What I believe has dropped Lexus recently is adding four cylinder motors. Not as refined, and more or less in the same league as Honda, Toyota, and Nissan as far as mechanics go. But the other competitors are doing the same thing, so it's all even.
Old 04-07-17, 11:59 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Notch below in terms of WHAT???

RELIABILITY IS WAY WAY LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF BMW, MB, AND AUDI (OR ANY EURO BRAND FOR THE RECORD).
just as an aside, audi has been making great gains with regard to reliability as of late.
Old 04-07-17, 01:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
just as an aside, audi has been making great gains with regard to reliability as of late.
What's more impressive is that they haven't sacrificed technology in doing so. Their virtual cockpits and that new V6 twin scroll turbo engine are state of the art. Are you seeing this Lexus? Better catch up.
Old 04-24-17, 09:28 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I cannot speak to sales figures but as someone new to Lexus, I can certainly say that Lexus popularity was the 2nd most important factor that attracted me to the brand (reliability first and foremost).

For the last two decades, it was not uncommon for me to hear things like, "I only drive Lexus," or, "The LS 400 is the only car that I drive," or "Lexus is the very best car that you can buy." I went from foolishly thinking, "Why would anyone buy a fancy Toyota when they can just buy a regular Toyota that's almost just as nice for less money?" to being one of those people who sings the praise of Lexus.

Additionally, I have never heard anyone speak negatively about any Lexus product or say they've had a bad experience with one. Instead, I have only heard great things, especially when it came to the very popular LS. With the LS, I heard so many rave reviews that I was thinking there was no way it could possibly be flawless (I was so wrong!).

After I had just finished car shopping for my second car, at one point I thought to myself, "If I hear one more thing about the LS being so great, I'm going to lose my mind." Then the very next day, I met up with my former boss for a business lunch and he told me, "Oh by the way, I really like your car. They're very nice!" The car he was referring to was an LS 430 that didn't belong to me lol. I'd newly purchased a near mint Passat W8 that, although very well cared for, practically had me running into the arms of Lexus because of it's horrid reliability.

When my brother finally sold his SC400 (that wasn't in the best shape) on Craigslist, he still got inquiries about it for a full 2 months after it was gone.

So, I'd say Lexus is very popular. The early days of Lexus have left a great first impression. First impressions are what we are most often remembered by.

Last edited by lexslexus; 04-24-17 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-24-17, 11:09 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Agreed, reliability attracted me to Lexus, as I used to be a Cadillac man(had two of their body on frame boats, a 1991 Brougham D'Elegance and a 1995 Fleetwood). After reading about how unreliable the FWD Deville was with the Northstar engine, I began looking at Lexus, and realized they were like the Japanese Cadillac. Maybe not quite the same sort of swagger in terms of styling(mainly that was older Cadillacs that had that swagger, 90's/00's Cadillacs are a bit boring except for the CTS and Eldorado IMO), but man the Lexus cars were everything Cadillac should have stood for but never measured up to.
Old 04-24-17, 11:33 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Agreed, reliability attracted me to Lexus, as I used to be a Cadillac man(had two of their body on frame boats, a 1991 Brougham D'Elegance and a 1995 Fleetwood). After reading about how unreliable the FWD Deville was with the Northstar engine, I began looking at Lexus, and realized they were like the Japanese Cadillac. Maybe not quite the same sort of swagger in terms of styling(mainly that was older Cadillacs that had that swagger, 90's/00's Cadillacs are a bit boring except for the CTS and Eldorado IMO), but man the Lexus cars were everything Cadillac should have stood for but never measured up to.
My grandmother was a Cadillac woman. For decades, Cadillac's were the only car she would buy. You are definitely correct about their reliability. My first memory of one of her beloved Cadillac's was that it broke down on the way to the Oldsmobile dealership where she traded it in for a brand new Aurora that became her favorite car. She later switched back to Cadillac but if she ever tried Lexus, I'm sure there would have been no going back.