Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi RS3 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 10:58 AM
NickCanada
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi RS3 Sedan

Anyone find any reviews yet of the above? Haven't seen much since the reveal at Paris auto show. I know it should be out soon and there is one picture of a grey one on Autogespot already. Anxiously awaiting to see how this handles compared to m240 and TTRS etc.
Old 02-07-17, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's a video of one being driven on a track......and then a bunch of close-ups.

Old 02-07-17, 12:51 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

That screen does it fold away?
Old 02-07-17, 02:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

400hp AWD in this little car....this thing will be a rocket.

Originally Posted by ttsport15
That screen does it fold away?
retracts

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-more-feature

Last edited by bagwell; 02-07-17 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-07-17, 02:51 PM
NickCanada
Driver School Candidate

Yes I have seen all those videos lol. Just hoping that it's released early to the media and some real reviews come out soon.

Yes that screen goes down.
Old 02-07-17, 09:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Good-lookin car all around. Hot Wheels rims and minimalistic dash are let-downs.
Old 02-08-17, 07:48 AM
NickCanada
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Good-lookin car all around. Hot Wheels rims and minimalistic dash are let-downs.

Yes the looks have not received a lot of praise. Everyone was hoping for a bit more "something" to the lines, as the way it looks now is awful close to a S3. The A3 is pretty plain to begin with, so you are paying a huge premium to get the RS3 but won't get a much different look in the end. Perhaps there are other wheel options when it is released as I agree the ones on it in Paris were rather dull.

As for the dash, that is the look Audi is going for across the line now with the digital dash. I guess it has pros and cons. I do really like the R8 steering wheel that the TTRS got, but was sad to see the RS3 was not as fortunate. Something about that red ignition button on the wheel that makes me think supercar lol. Oh well.

What you are paying for it seems is a wonderful sounding 5 cyl engine. From all that I have read, it is one of the best sounding out there and apparently Audi never even piped it in over the speakers. Also as others noted, with the weight 400HP should move it rather quick. Based on the 0-60 times of the TTRS, wouldn't be surprised to see some testers run sub 4 second times.

I think it will be in the realm of a sleeper sedan, which some like myself are very much attracted to. Unless you are in the know, you can quietly pull up to lights and leave people in the dust with a car like this..and there is no flash to attract unwanted dummies. Very interested (why I posted lol) to see what the early reviews are, because it seems like Audi is trying for more performance in these cars released lately, although they always don't succeed.
Old 02-08-17, 10:22 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCanada
Yes the looks have not received a lot of praise. Everyone was hoping for a bit more "something" to the lines, as the way it looks now is awful close to a S3. The A3 is pretty plain to begin with, so you are paying a huge premium to get the RS3 but won't get a much different look in the end. Perhaps there are other wheel options when it is released as I agree the ones on it in Paris were rather dull.

As for the dash, that is the look Audi is going for across the line now with the digital dash. I guess it has pros and cons. I do really like the R8 steering wheel that the TTRS got, but was sad to see the RS3 was not as fortunate. Something about that red ignition button on the wheel that makes me think supercar lol. Oh well.

What you are paying for it seems is a wonderful sounding 5 cyl engine. From all that I have read, it is one of the best sounding out there and apparently Audi never even piped it in over the speakers. Also as others noted, with the weight 400HP should move it rather quick. Based on the 0-60 times of the TTRS, wouldn't be surprised to see some testers run sub 4 second times.

I think it will be in the realm of a sleeper sedan, which some like myself are very much attracted to. Unless you are in the know, you can quietly pull up to lights and leave people in the dust with a car like this..and there is no flash to attract unwanted dummies. Very interested (why I posted lol) to see what the early reviews are, because it seems like Audi is trying for more performance in these cars released lately, although they always don't succeed.
The digital dash is the fanciest part of the interior. My beef is with the dashboard itself. It's extremely plain, old-fashioned, and lacking any sort of luxury. I find all other Audi models to strike a nice balance.

Sleeper would be a good term for it, yes. I actually prefer it that way. Don't need to announce to the world or the police what's underneath.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 02-08-17 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-08-17, 10:48 AM
NickCanada
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The digital dash is the fanciest part of the interior. My beef is with the dashboard itself. It's extremely plain, old-fashioned, and lacking any sort of luxury. I find all other Audi models to strike a nice balance.

Sleeper would be a good term for it, yes. I actually prefer it that way. Don't need to announce to the world or the police what's underneath.
Yes Audi seems to be going for a minimalist luxury..which is kind of hard to pull off lol. I agree, I think the dash makes it look more A3 than RS3..which is not a good thing at the price point the RS3 will be at.

I drive a sleeper now so I speak from experience. I love it at the office (ie. does not stand out and raise coworker's eye as a flashy vehicle might), and on the road it is great. I prefer performance, and if it is subdued and not loudly announced..even better. I know from the time I have had behind my first "sleeper" vehicle, it is a hoot. No one expects you to toast them in your boring wheels LOL.
Old 02-10-17, 10:08 AM
NickCanada
Driver School Candidate

http://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en/models/a3/rs3-sedan.html

https://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a3/new-rs-3.html

Looks like Audi Canada and UK (but not USA yet) have a page for the RS3 up. Never noticed it before, so perhaps just went up recently.

Last edited by NickCanada; 02-10-17 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-07-17, 06:30 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

And if you're ever ready to add some power you can add nearly 100 whp and torque with just the chip and a few supporting mods from APR (at least on he older TTRS). I like it and I like the thought of it being of a lighter weight, AWD and magnetorheological dampers.
Old 05-07-17, 09:49 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's an amazing car and I hope MB, BMW, & Lexus take note and have an appropriate response. Adversity breeds ingenuity!
Old 05-08-17, 12:07 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is the AWD still Haldex-based? No thanks.
Old 05-08-17, 12:24 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Is the AWD still Haldex-based? No thanks.
Hard to believe Audi would come up with a different AWD system just for the RS3. They use a Haldex in everything else, including the last-gen RS3.

Particularly annoying that they wanted the features of the latest-gen Haldex system for fuel economy reasons.
Old 05-08-17, 02:47 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
Hard to believe Audi would come up with a different AWD system just for the RS3. They use a Haldex in everything else, including the last-gen RS3.

Particularly annoying that they wanted the features of the latest-gen Haldex system for fuel economy reasons.
Haldex-based AWD systems will never be as good as AWD systems that are on all the time. Problem with Haldex-based AWD systems is that they are reactive, e.g. AWD kicks in when slippage is detected.

Quick Reply: Audi RS3 Sedan