Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds : Lexus Superbowl LC500, biggest hit for automotive ads

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 03:59 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Ad metrics are very difficult with 1,000's of different ways to slice it.

Ad Age says it was Audi then Kia (strictly for auto commercials): http://adage.com/article/stats/top-1...-voice/307873/

USA Today said it was the Kia overall, followed by Honda and Audi: http://adage.com/article/special-rep...-meter/307848/

No Lexus in either of those lists.

On Youtube, the Lexus video has ~3 million views(published jan 23), Kia has over 9 million views published feb 1, Audi nearly 11 million views, published feb 1.
Your first link was good, based in numbers but your second link was based on a online panel, no numbers, just opinions.
Old 02-07-17, 04:12 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Ad numbers aside, the LC is stunning. It's form is enough to motivate millions to research it it's lust-worthy body.

---

At the end of the ad, Lexus introduces its new global tagline: "Experience Amazing."
So is Lexus dropping "The Pursuit of Perfection" all together?
Old 02-07-17, 04:42 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ad numbers aside, the LC is stunning. It's form is enough to motivate millions to research it it's lust-worthy body.
i agree, when I saw it in the commercial I thought it looked amazing. Then I read what engine was going in and I was very disappointed. I know everyone's tired of hearing people complain about the same old engines being used but I was just hoping for something new.
Old 02-07-17, 05:12 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Matty,

My wife and I are 1% ers and I can tell you that I make a lot more than her and she has a PhD.

Even in big corporate america, women are being paid less for the same job.
When it happens and where it happens, it is very unfortunate. The blanket issuance of a statement excludes context - that's what I was pointing out. Not to deflect this thread into the non-car related but your wife has several remedies available to her: work for another company that will pay her the same as a man, bargain and negotiate harder for a higher salary equal to a man, or worst case scenerio bring a legal case against the firm.
Old 02-07-17, 05:27 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Your first link was good, based in numbers but your second link was based on a online panel, no numbers, just opinions.
But the comments on this board can also be categorized as just opinions, and that's how people tend to discuss how they "feel." I'm just showing that there are many different types of "data" by which to measure ads and their "effectiveness."
Old 02-07-17, 05:30 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

She is happy where she is and with what she is doing

All I am noting here is that the story in the Audi ad is quite real

I wasn't expecting the Super Bowl ads to be as current events and social issue oriented as they were

Didn't make for the most fun ads but some were thought provoking

For example one of our millennial, non car owning sons after seeing the Lexus ad, pointed more about the issue with the super talented dancer not making as much as a similarly talented football player, both providing us entertainment that evening.
Old 02-07-17, 06:06 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
She is happy where she is and with what she is doing
Then the connection to the wider statement in the Audi ad is spurious at best. Not the basis for a complaint. She is happy, she signed on the dotted line and accepted the pay and working conditions. Likely benefited from the past 45 years of equity and equality measures legislated by government. If these measures had not been put in place, then she would have had to be a "homemaker".

The Audi ad made a statement. It's advertising so I accept it with a bag of salt.

For example one of our millennial, non car owning sons after seeing the Lexus ad, pointed more about the issue with the super talented dancer not making as much as a similarly talented football player, both providing us entertainment that evening.
But the American capitalist system is based on winners and losers, creators and workers. That dancer wasn't blessed with the DNA to be a running back or a even a quarterback. He is not worth the millions that are paid to the members of the Patriots or Falcons who punish themselves throughout an entire season to get to the gladiatorial fest that is the Bowl. That dancer can't get smashed up on a gridiron and so he dances and hopes that Lexus ad gets him more work.