Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Big gains in China help Lexus hit record sales

Old 02-06-17, 08:46 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Big gains in China help Lexus hit record sales

US sales tool as slight hit this year — they were down 4% — but sales in China were up big time, as in 25%. I have ton admit it came as a surprise to me that sales were down here, as I thought Lexus was having a great year. I wonder if we'll see a bounce back in 2017? The new LS should cause some excitement I'd think... .
Old 02-06-17, 09:00 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Apparently the Lexus GM said supplies will return to normal by Feb 2017, if sales isn't normalized by then, Bracken will have some splainin to do.
Old 02-07-17, 04:51 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Apparently the Lexus GM said supplies will return to normal by Feb 2017, if sales isn't normalized by then, Bracken will have some splainin to do.
I'd think so. Ha ha.
Old 02-07-17, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

China is where everyone is looking for increased sales. It is arguably the world's fastest-growing (and potentially largest) auto market....with India close behind. But India is more congested, and does't have as much room for expansion that China does.

A big potential question, though, is what will happen if Trump's proposed auto import-tariffs, if enacted, start a trade war (I dont think that will happen, but it is a possibility). Then, of course, all bets are off on both sides.
Old 02-07-17, 07:53 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But the thing with GM's China subsidiary is that those are made-in-China, sell-in-China vehicles. GM isn't really going to import the bulk of US sales from China at this point. The exception so far has been the Envision AFAIK. The Trump administration can't really impose a tariff on a foreign company like GM China for building vehicles in China and selling there.

So they'll tax the Envision and say it's GM sending work overseas to profit off lower paid Chinese workers. GM could just take the tax hit and put it on your invoice and tell you it's a $1000 "Trump Tax". And then offer you an incentive or discount anyways.

If things get nasty GM will tell its workers that their $12K bonuses earned off GM's profits are going to be reduced or eliminated thanks to the current administration's policies. Right now it's a wait and see with corporate America is to try and play nice with this new president. They know that he can Tweet and send their stock tumbling by the tens of millions in just a few hours.

I have a feeling that GM will wait out this current president and its administration. Corporations do not make outrageous moves overnight but they will fight back if they get pushed.

What happens if GM slaps the administration with lawsuits in Michigan saying it's unfair restraint of trade that is not in the national interest?