Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which of these do you consider as luxury brands? (please choose one or more)
Acura
42.86%
Buick
9.52%
Cadilac
90.48%
Infiniti
80.95%
Genesis
76.19%
Lincoln
61.90%
Volvo
38.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Which of the following do you consider as luxury brands?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 09:09 PM
bob12345
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which of the following do you consider as luxury brands?

Which of these non-Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, and Audi brands do you consider as luxury brands (equivalent to those 4 brands) or merely as sub luxury brands?
I found many people consider these brands have ambiguous standings as luxury brands.

all in random orders

1. Acura by Honda
2. Buick by GM
3. Cadillac by GM
4. Infiniti by Nissan
5. Lincoln by Ford
6. Genesis by Hyundai
7. Volvo by ... um by Geely Holding of China
Old 02-05-17, 09:22 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I consider Cadillac, Infiniti, and Genesis as legit luxury brands because they do a great job of differentiating themselves from their mainstream, lower priced offerings. Mechanically, their sedans at least have a far superior RWD chassis that their mainstream cars do not get. Plus they manage to make the cars look/feel substantially different from a Nissan/Hyundia/Buick/Chevy.

Acura and Lincoln, I have a hard time considering those cars legit, as they are pretty much a downmarket Ford/Honda under the skin, same engines, same chassis. Some companies do a great job with this approach, look at the Lexus ES vs an Avalon or Camry, same car underneath, doesn't look like either, doesn't feel like one either, its several orders nicer IMO. Honda and Lincoln, I just don't see the value of paying more, except maybe for the new Continental, its several orders nicer than a Fusion or Taurus and a pretty good value if you keep the options in check and the MSRP around $50k.

Buick, I've never considered them a luxury car, you buy the Chevy or the Buick, depending on which you like better for the price. Traditionally Buick was several orders nicer than the rental car counter crap Chevy sold(for not a lot more $$$$), but Chevy has really improved their cars since about 2010 or so.

Volvo, I find it hard to take them seriously. They abandoned that rock solid build quality/reliability/durability back in the 90's when they quit making square cars like the 740, 240, 960, etc. Newer models have been more stylish but piles of crap mechanically. Their new 4 cylinder only approach makes them also rans IMO.
Old 02-05-17, 09:24 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Acura and Buick are strictly premium in my mind. The rest I consider to be luxury brands. Lincoln is on the edge but the Continental and upcoming Navigator put them solidly in that category, imo.
Old 02-05-17, 09:25 PM
bob12345
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I consider Cadillac, Infiniti, and Genesis as legit luxury brands because they do a great job of differentiating themselves from their mainstream, lower priced offerings. Mechanically, their sedans at least have a far superior RWD chassis that their mainstream cars do not get. Plus they manage to make the cars look/feel substantially different from a Nissan/Hyundia/Buick/Chevy.

Acura and Lincoln, I have a hard time considering those cars legit, as they are pretty much a downmarket Ford/Honda under the skin, same engines, same chassis. Some companies do a great job with this approach, look at the Lexus ES vs an Avalon or Camry, same car underneath, doesn't look like either, doesn't feel like one either, its several orders nicer IMO. Honda and Lincoln, I just don't see the value of paying more, except maybe for the new Continental, its several orders nicer than a Fusion or Taurus and a pretty good value if you keep the options in check and the MSRP around $50k.

Buick, I've never considered them a luxury car, you buy the Chevy or the Buick, depending on which you like better for the price. Traditionally Buick was several orders nicer than the rental car counter crap Chevy sold(for not a lot more $$$$), but Chevy has really improved their cars since about 2010 or so.

Volvo, I find it hard to take them seriously. They abandoned that rock solid build quality/reliability/durability back in the 90's when they quit making square cars like the 740, 240, 960, etc. Newer models have been more stylish but piles of crap mechanically. Their new 4 cylinder only approach makes them also rans IMO.

speaking of avalon vs ES...
I think I saw several ppl on the internet complaining about some of the details in ES and RX resemble Toyota such as buttons on the center counsel... Not a big issue though
Old 02-05-17, 09:42 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bob12345
Which of these non-Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, and Audi brands do you consider as luxury brands (equivalent to those 4 brands) or merely as sub luxury brands?
I found many people consider these brands have ambiguous standings as luxury brands.

all in random orders

1. Acura by Honda
2. Buick by GM
3. Cadillac by GM
4. Infiniti by Nissan
5. Lincoln by Ford
6. Genesis by Hyundai
Group 1: Buick, Lincoln and Genesis
Group 1.5: Acura (I say that since only the MDX has decided to refine interior trimming in the 17s only)
Group 2: Infiniti
Group 3: Caddy, Volvo, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, (Mass market porsches), Audi

This strictly on interior material offerings.
Old 02-05-17, 09:45 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

speaking of avalon vs ES...
I think I saw several ppl on the internet complaining about some of the details in ES and RX resemble Toyota such as buttons on the center counsel... Not a big issue though
You`d be pleasantly surprised how big of an issue that is for some folks. Parts bin sharing is ok, but when the external surfaces trigger association with lower tier brand name vehicles, certain luxury buyers raise a stink and then some. Its like when Maserati Ghibli buyers were taking verbal shats on FCA for including Jeep GC Uconnect, power DL/WD, and transmission shift lever buttons in their ghiblis
Old 02-05-17, 09:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Group 1: Buick, Lincoln and Genesis
Group 1.5: Acura (I say that since only the MDX has decided to refine interior trimming in the 17s only)
Group 2: Infiniti
Group 3: Caddy, Volvo, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, (Mass market porsches), Audi

This strictly on interior material offerings.
That's an interesting way of listing, normally people go from best to worst lol. Also I take it you've never been in a Genesis G90 if you're judging on interior materials.
You`d be pleasantly surprised how big of an issue that is for some folks. Parts bin sharing is ok, but when the external surfaces trigger association with lower tier brand name vehicles, certain luxury buyers raise a stink and then some. Its like when Maserati Ghibli buyers were taking verbal shats on FCA for including Jeep GC Uconnect, power DL/WD, and transmission shift lever buttons in their ghiblis
The funniest part about people complaining about the Ghibli's window switches is that Mercedes uses them too and no one seems to have noticed.

Last edited by TangoRed; 02-05-17 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-05-17, 09:51 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's an interesting way of listing, normally people go from best to worst lol. Also I take it you've never been in a Genesis G90 if you're judging on interior materials.

The funniest part about people complaining about the Ghibli's window switches was that Mercedes was using them too but no one noticed.
The Genesis is great vehicle, but the choice to not offer open pore wood is kind of the big let down. Shiny wood trim is great, just not my cup of tea
Old 02-05-17, 09:57 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The Genesis is great vehicle, but the choice to not offer open pore wood is kind of the big let down. Shiny wood trim is great, just not my cup of tea
Shiny wood trim can look great if done right, but IMO its been done to death for decades now. Also sometimes even real wood can end up looking like that fake wood from a 1985 Cutlass Supreme(hey GM was pretty good at fake wood lol)
Old 02-06-17, 04:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I can't see how only offering shiny wood trim on the G90 relegated it down with Buick, that's silly IMHO. Their interior there is right up there with the big boys.
Old 02-06-17, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Though I sometimes use the words "Luxury", "Tier 1", and "Tier 2", myself, I generally prefer the term "upmarket" or "premium". I'd consider all of the nameplates on the list above to be in the Upmarket or Premium category, in the sense that they are (usually) a step up from your Bread-and-Butter nameplates (Ford, Chevy, Hyundai, VW, etc....). Having said that, though, a couple of those upmarket brands (Acura and Infiniti in particular, and, to a lesser extent, Volvo, don't make as impressive a line-up of vehicles (at least in the American market) as the others do. Also having said that (and I know I might take some heat on this from the Cadillac fanboys LOL).........IMO Cadillac's biggest domestic competitor is not its traditional rival Lincoln (though Lincoln is steadily improving each year), but its own sister Buick division. Though Buick does not have a high-performance 'V" division like Cadillac (the Grand National project from the Holden/Chevy SS was cancelled), and sometimes makes bad marketing decisions, IMO their products are better than Cadillac's in some areas. Recent Cadillacs I have test-driven have not left me particularly impressed....though the XT5, except for the E-shifter, seems to be a good step forward.
Old 02-06-17, 06:36 AM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Everyone on the list is a luxury brand except Buick. Infiniti and Cadillac shouldn't even be questioned - they are as much a luxury brand as Lexus.

Buick I place in-between Cadillac and Chevrolet as a upmarket but not luxury brand. I don't have respect for vehicles like the Encore.
Old 02-06-17, 08:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

all in random orders

1. Acura by Honda
2. Buick by GM
3. Cadillac by GM
4. Infiniti by Nissan
5. Lincoln by Ford
6. Genesis by Hyundai
I don't think their was anything ambiguous about the list. Buick is in the middle and Genesis is not at all recognized by the average person. All the others are just as much luxury as Lexus is.
Old 02-06-17, 08:13 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All with the exception of Buick are luxury brands. Buick has always been a "premium" marque aimed to be below Cadillac.

Aside from the Acura MDX, Infiniti Q50, and Volve XC90, no cars from any of those automakers are cross-shopped with the elite brands.
Old 02-06-17, 08:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrownPride
All with the exception of Buick are luxury brands. Buick has always been a "premium" marque aimed to be below Cadillac.

Aside from the Acura MDX, Infiniti Q50, and Volve XC90, no cars from any of those automakers are cross-shopped with the elite brands.
I think you're missing some from your list. The Infiniti QX30, QX80, and Q60 belong there. The QX50 and QX70 are outdated now but were certainly crosshopped when they were new with other luxury vehicles in their class. Volvo S90 is missing too.

Quick Reply: Which of the following do you consider as luxury brands?