Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Corolla Fielder

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 05:13 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Corolla Fielder

How well would a Corolla wagon sell in North America? I bet it would do well in certain states. It would probably take away some sales from the Impreza.

I saw something on a Fielder Cross, it looks like a Venza on steroids.

Old 01-22-17, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Brings back some memories. My late mother bought a light blue Corolla DX wagon in 1996 (they only sold it in the DX trim)......I, of course, helped her through the deal (and did the oil-changes myself on it for her, as the filter was very easy to reach). It was the last car she owned before she passed away four years later. As her estate-executor, I sold it off after she passed.

Originally Posted by JessePS
It would probably take away some sales from the Impreza.
Not many....assuming that the American version, like the previous one, lacks AWD. Toyota once marketed the AWD Corolla All-Trac here in the U.S., but that was discontinued even before my late mother bought hers. This is just my own opinion (not necessarily fact), but I think part of the reason the Corolla All-Trac never returned to the American market was the success of the RAV4 and, to a lesser extent, the Corolla-derived AWD Toyota Matrix.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-22-17 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 06:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

All we have to do is look at how the Corolla wagon sold when it was sold here. Which is not well enough to keep selling them here.
Old 01-22-17, 06:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The Matrix was always the wagon version. Had AWD as well. And a 2.4. This vehicle would not do well in North America.
Old 01-22-17, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Matrix was always the wagon version. Had AWD as well. And a 2.4.
And don't forget the Pontiac Vibe twin-version of it, which also offered AWD. At the time, although the Vibe never sold in the same numbers as the Matrix, some buyers actually found it a more attractive option, as Pontiac dealers were usually more willing to bargain on it, and GM was offering 5/100 on the drivetrain warranty while Toyota was offering 5/60. So, you got an (often) cheaper car with a better warranty, using the same Toyota mechanicals.

This vehicle would not do well in North America.
That's probably true......but that is primarily because of the RAV-4's huge success. Personally, though, I'd probably prefer a Corolla All-Trac wagon to an AWD RAV4. Except for going through deep snow, where the RAV-4's added ground clearance would be a boon, the Corolla, IMO, has noticeably better road manners than the RAV-4.
Old 01-22-17, 07:10 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If they lift it up to look like a 4x4 it will sell because people will then think it's a "crossover".
Old 01-22-17, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
If they lift it up to look like a 4x4 it will sell because people will then think it's a "crossover".
The RAV-4, which is largely done on a raised Corolla platform, has that part of the market pretty-well-covered, though I noted, in my last post, that, to my taste at least, the Corolla has better road manners.
Old 01-22-17, 07:26 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
There are 2 manufacturers that I can think of that do this -- Subaru, with the Outback and Audi with its Allroad -- but the Allroad does not seem to sell that well, does it?

I considered purchasing a Corolla wagon some 20+ years ago but never did. I would consider a Camry All-Trac wagon if Toyota offered it.
Old 01-22-17, 07:33 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No, the Allroad is a very niche vehicle. But then again, the Outback and Allroad are marketed toward off-roading. Infiniti has taken their Q30 wagon and is marketing it in the States as the QX30, slight raised, as a CUV. Who knows how well it will sell, but it has a better chance than the Q30.
Old 01-22-17, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
There are 2 manufacturers that I can think of that do this -- Subaru, with the Outback and Audi with its Allroad -- but the Allroad does not seem to sell that well, does it?
The All-Road is simply too expensive. For mid-40s and up, it doesn't offer much more than comparable Outbacks do at 25-35K...except four rings on the grille and a somewhat better-finished interior.

I considered purchasing a Corolla wagon some 20+ years ago but never did. I would consider a Camry All-Trac wagon if Toyota offered it.
The Camry All-Trac wagon was offered, at one time, in the U.S., though I can't remember the exact year it was discontinued (regular Camry FWD wagons went out after 1996). The introduction of the RAV-4 and (later) Highlander basically ruined the market for Toyota wagons, except perhaps for the Matrix/Vibe.
Old 01-22-17, 09:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't really know where that Corolla wagon would fit into Toyota's lineup. We already have the Toyota Corolla Im wagon at your dealer right now for about 19k base msrp with a $1500 rebate. Price it too high and you're getting into Rav4 territory, those start around 23-24k. Although I do think that jacked up wagon version, if it had AWD would sell like hotcakes, it would be a good competitor to Subaru's tall wagons, which sell a crapload because they are the only car in that niche.

Al
Old 01-22-17, 09:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It would not sell well with the way it's styled in the pictures- SUV body proportions, tall greenhouse, tiny wheels and tires, and a lowered suspension. Hopefully it's just a bad photo.