Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who wants fold down rear seats and touch screen to be brought back?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 07:01 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'd take the split fold-down seats over the extra cross bracing any day. The number of people that will drive their car in a manner that would benefit from extra cross-bracing HAS to be a much smaller number than the number of people that may require extra cargo room on a occasion.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the rear seats.
Old 12-06-16, 04:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
There's gotta be a good reason why BMW brought back the touch screen after all these years.

Perhaps people like the quickness of their smart phones, and want the same in a car, and you're really not fidgeting with the infotainment that much?

Redundancy is good though. With some things, touch is much faster.

I've driven newer lexus loaner cars, and I don't see any extra benefit with pushing the screen as far away as possible. Even at the current distance, when I drive a lexus and look at the screen, the road ahead still becomes a blur in my peripheral vision, and if you look at the screen too long, you still risk crashing into the car ahead.
So I think Lexus should bring the screen back to where it was years ago, within arm's reach.

There really is no optimal location for the infotainment except for the heads-up display location directly in front of the driver, but that location can't contain too much info for obvious reasons.

BMW didnt just bring back the touch screen, they kept the idrive controller, added some gestures and added another controller to the steering wheel in some models (7 series) that are equipped with HUD, so you can scroll through iDrive menus right from your steering wheel without taking your eyes off the road.

Anyone who wants touch screens within arm's reach simply hasn't experienced iDrive and wants to go backwards. Although I do admit that touch screens are far better than the convoluted clusterpuck that Lexus made of the remote touch.
Old 12-06-16, 04:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, I would take the fold-down seats, too. But the cross-bracing is not just a matter of stiffening the frame for aggressive driving. A strong unibody frame that resists longitudinal or lateral bending also helps prevent rattles and squeaks.....which I find quite annoying if when they occur.
Non reclining rear seat allows for cross bracing as well as better noise insulation and better design of audio systems. Even in the most expensive SUVs there are creaking and rattling sounds from the rear folding seats and rear gate. In cheaper cars and SUVs these folding seats are a total creakfest.
Old 12-06-16, 04:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Non reclining rear seat allows for cross bracing as well as better noise insulation and better design of audio systems. Even in the most expensive SUVs there are creaking and rattling sounds from the rear folding seats and rear gate. In cheaper cars and SUVs these folding seats are a total creakfest.
You can easily make a vehicle structurally more rigid without the cross brace if the manufacturers want to
Old 12-06-16, 05:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You can easily make a vehicle structurally more rigid without the cross brace if the manufacturers want to
Apparently not so easy, and only to a point. Once again, even most expensive SUVs from BMW, MB and LR have some creaks and squeaks from rear seats and gate/trunk area.
Old 12-06-16, 05:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Apparently not so easy, and only to a point. Once again, even most expensive SUVs from BMW, MB and LR have some creaks and squeaks from rear seats and gate/trunk area.
And my 4Runner has no such squeaks. Neither does our Matrix or my Corolla. My sister's old IS had them. My 4runner has squeaks all over the dash

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-06-16 at 05:31 PM.