Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 05:10 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe so, but I also liked cars like this even when I was a teen-ager, in high school. (and I went to high school during the classic 60s American muscle-car era)
you seem to be the exception and not the rule, though.
Old 10-07-16, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Lots of grandpas right now with the baby boomers aging and having a lot of disposable income, there is definitely a market. The thing is you really do want younger customers who aren't going to die on you or are too old to drive in 15 years or so. Cadillac had this problem back in the 90's/early 2000's, most of the people who bought them was the greatest generation, then they all started to die off. Luckily Cadillac did reinvent themselves and didn't become totally irrelevant like Lincoln. Still, compare Cadillac's sales to their heyday, its a drop in the bucket.
I disagree that Lincoln has become irrelevant. The introduction of the MKC, 2Gen MKX, the recent MKZ mid-generation refresh that addressed its weaknesses, and now the new Continental have all gone a long way towards rejuvenating the company. What was once a vehicle-problem with Lincoln, though, has now become a dealer problem......with some exceptions, the Ford-based Lincoln dealership chain is a joke.
Old 10-07-16, 05:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,893 Posts

I would agree that they're still irrelevant, and I do still believe that it's partly a vehicle problem. The new products are nice, they're just not special in any way.
Old 10-07-16, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
you seem to be the exception and not the rule, though.
Some of my friends were also like that, but, yes, we took a few barbs about "Grandpa" vehicles. To be clear, I also liked the muscle-cars of the period....driving them could be fun, though, unlike some of my colleagues, I was careful enough (and sensible enough) behind the wheel not to try anything really dumb.
Old 10-07-16, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would agree that they're still irrelevant, and I do still believe that it's partly a vehicle problem. The new products are nice, they're just not special in any way.
Well, the big, modern, and spacious Chantilly Ford/Lincoln shop is certainly not a joke (you know that...you yourself have probably seen it). But, some of the other local Ford/Lincoln shops I've seen aren't impressive at all. While I do respect your opinion, to me, it still seems to me more of a dealer-problem than the vehicles themselves, though I have to admit that just having the MKT itself on the premises is a joke. Lincoln needs to dump that vehicle ASAP....... with the new (and much better) 2Gen MKX on hand, I don't know why they even bother to keep the MKT around in the first place LOL.
Old 10-07-16, 05:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

has now become a dealer problem......with some exceptions, the Ford-based Lincoln dealership chain is a joke.
Why is it a joke? There are over 950+ Lincoln dealers in the United States. That means that it its not too hard to find the car or dealer you are looking for. As for being separate from Ford, I can see how that is an issue but it is not always a deterrent
Old 10-07-16, 05:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

it's definitely problematic and it seems to be a crucial point that lincoln has missed. by attracting the aging boomers, lincoln may straggle along just fine for a few years and then set its hopes high that the next generation of aged citizens will take favor to the overall design language and driving dynamics that the marque has going for it.

it's a poor strategy, indeed, although one that lincoln seems to be employing. they can't count on livery service vehicle sales alone to compensate for brand health.
Agreed, Lincoln needs to go after younger buyers. The brand won't go anywhere until they do this.
Old 10-07-16, 05:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
We can agree on that- I personally think something went very wrong fairly recently and caused a delay in the media push. For luxury vehicles at least there's usually a healthy amount of build up as cars are being transported to dealers. I just wanted to point out that just because you don't see anything right now doesn't mean its not coming.
Yes perhaps. Perhaps there was a very late last minute change to the marketing strategy or the content of the vehicle might of been altered.
Old 10-07-16, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, the big, modern, and spacious Chantilly Ford/Lincoln shop is certainly not a joke (you know that...you yourself have probably seen it). But, some of the other local Ford/Lincoln shops I've seen aren't impressive at all. While I do respect your opinion, to me, it still seems to me more of a dealer-problem than the vehicles themselves, though I have to admit that just having the MKT itself on the premises is a joke. Lincoln needs to dump that vehicle ASAP....... with the new (and much better) 2Gen MKX on hand, I don't know why they even bother to keep the MKT around in the first place LOL.
The problem with Lincoln is that the vehicles they are selling now, including the Continental may be the best Lincolns that have been made, but they're not the best at anything when you zoom back out and compare them to the rest of the industry. Not one vehicle is the best at anything in its segment. They're not the most stylish, the best built, they don't have the best interiors, they aren't the most reliable, not the smoothest or quietest, not the best handling, they certainly don't have the best dealer experience, they aren't the best value. Every vehicle they sell is just middle of the pack, and that doesn't cut it in an industry where the competition is so fierce.

Nobody objectively would drive a Continental and a Genesis G90 back to back and choose the Continental unless they couldn't afford the Genesis.

If Lincoln wants to break through, they need to make an excellent car, and they just haven't done that yet.

As for the MKT, its around because of fleet sales. If you go to NYC they are everywhere.
Old 10-07-16, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why is it a joke? There are over 950+ Lincoln dealers in the United States. That means that it its not too hard to find the car or dealer you are looking for. As for being separate from Ford, I can see how that is an issue but it is not always a deterrent
I've seen a few exceptions, but, in my experience, the average Lincoln shop, IMO, is not as impressive as the average Cadillac shop. OK...that doesn't mean it's necessarily a joke (perhaps I could have used a better term) ...but it's something that, IMO, Ford and Lincoln needs to work on. The average Continental or Navigator buyer isn't going to be looking at Focuses or Fiestas....and vice-versa.
Old 10-07-16, 06:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The combination dealers don't cut it, and thats going to be an issue for Genesis too. Today for instance, I had to go to a Hyundai dealer and drive the car with a guy with a big Hyundai emblem on his polo. Thats not going to cut it either, and their approach (which is also Lincolns approach) of valet service will only take them so far. the Continentals I drove were parked next to Ford Transit Connect work vans. Not gonna cut it.

Owners of luxury goods like the trappings of being a consumer of luxury goods, and they need a separate dealership where they can be consumers of luxury goods.
Old 10-07-16, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody objectively would drive a Continental and a Genesis G90 back to back and choose the Continental unless they couldn't afford the Genesis.
Based on your report of the G90 today (and my own experience with the earlier Genesis), I'd probably agree. I wasn't totally satisfied with the way the Continental drove (engine a little too noisy for a luxury car, and you could still feel some bumps)...but, in my book, that Continental interior and front-end is a real stand-out. The car seduces on its looks alone.

As for the MKT, its around because of fleet sales. If you go to NYC they are everywhere.
If the MKT is what the limo/livery-car business is using nowadays in NYC, no wonder the company's reputation slid LOL. .
Old 10-07-16, 08:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I've seen a few exceptions, but, in my experience, the average Lincoln shop, IMO, is not as impressive as the average Cadillac shop. OK...that doesn't mean it's necessarily a joke (perhaps I could have used a better term) ...but it's something that, IMO, Ford and Lincoln needs to work on. The average Continental or Navigator buyer isn't going to be looking at Focuses or Fiestas....and vice-versa.
If Lincoln makes a compelling and good enough vehicle the Ford/Lincoln dealer issue won't make a difference as people will purchase Lincoln cars and trucks. Chevy Corvettes, Caddy Escalade's, Nissan GTRs, and I'm sure there are others sells to the high end consumer.

I personally dont think the FWD set up is an issue as I don't think the Continental competes with the very best from Japan and Germany. The next generation ES is where the Continental will compete best But a lot of others on here believe that the Continental is DOA or simply not good enough.
Old 10-07-16, 08:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Average transaction price is way more than the ES. Remember the $45k version I mentioned is absolutely base, no sunroof even. That's a well optioned ES350, almost loaded.
Old 10-07-16, 09:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
This thing is so DOA. A plus-sized FWD with small trunk, and styling that only attracts my grandpa.
i agree it's DOA.

Like I said, Ford doesn't place a lot of value on this car for some reason.
because even they realize it's DOA and don't want to spend a lot on marketing.

i think that the grandpa demographic may be just who lincoln is aiming to attract.
well you know there's grandpas out there who are only 40 so don't sell 'em short like they're all in walkers. oh and they're still looking for fun or real luxury. this stretched taurus barge seems to provide neither.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2017 Lincoln Continental