Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2017 Cadillac XT5

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 05:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
But are you talking about patriotic pride, or about build quality?

If a Corvette is built in Canada, is that bad because Canadians can't build them the same as Americans? Or is it because the Corvette buyer wants to make sure Americans benefited from the purchase?

Because I don't really see that the same as wanting a BMW from Germany--most people with that view are looking at it as a quality issue, not a "We want German citizens to benefit" issue.
Nothing really to do with who benefits. More pride in the brand you are buying. I look at who makes what I buy, if it is priced at a premium, then I usually would like what I buying to come from the place that started the brand per say. I understand it can’t happen all the time or even most of the time. But for car, if I were for a luxury car, I feel as though it would be more special if he German Car was made in Germany.

As for quality, I mentioned a few examples of how brands cheapen out and reduce the quality in a product. Toyota c channel frames, Starbucks now automates their espresso pours, and Apple takes away the home button and audio port.
Old 02-13-18, 07:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not sure if I said “better” but perhaps I might of, Japanese Toyotas tend be a bit superior in design compared to the models designed and made in America. My argument is that it is more “special” when a product comes from a particular origin, especially when there is a premium price attached to it.
sorry, i edited my post to say special instead of better.

Mercedes Benz has something super special where you can pick up your Mercedes from Germany drive it all over Europe and the leave it at a drop off point and ship it to the United States.
it's a good marketing program for sure. but once back in north america and driving day to day in traffic, and then someone pushes a shopping cart into your door, etc., then that 'super specialness' is kind of irrelevant.
Old 02-13-18, 07:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My Pioneer Elite home cinema received was made in Japan. We bought it in 1993 for $2500 US, our speakers which still have were made in Canada they are from 1995 I think.
i bought a pioneer elite receiver and projection tv in the late 90s for huge $$$ too and i used canadian made mission speakers for a LONG time (have paradigms now i got from a guy that was desperate to sell them). missions are english speakers but i had no problem with the ones i got being made in canada.

i can get a receiver today that costs HALF or less than what that pioneer elite cost back then (without even taking into account inflation, just straight dollars) and the new one is WAAAAY more capable (especially networking). of course the old elites were saddled with having to support composite, s-video, component video formats, and later hdmi as well, it was a huge mess. things today being digital and wireless is simpler.

a japanese made sony tv back in the day was definitely special, but i'm perfectly ok with an amazing s. korean lg or samsung today!

anyway, off topic, but for all products, global production and competition lowers prices improves choice and most consumers won't care and it is and will continue to do the same for cars.
Old 02-15-18, 11:07 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Bitkahina, you're supposed to be a senior moderator. I think it's time to lock down this thread and delete all the non XT5 posts here. It's a shame what has happened here. All those that want o talk about where a car is built need to start a new thread. Is there no common courtesy in CL anymore?
Old 02-17-18, 09:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Hey Bitkahina, you're supposed to be a senior moderator. I think it's time to lock down this thread and delete all the non XT5 posts here. It's a shame what has happened here. All those that want o talk about where a car is built need to start a new thread. Is there no common courtesy in CL anymore?
The last post in this thread before this post was from 2/13...and interestingly enough on that same day you also posted in it discussing where the XT5 was built...yet now 4 days later you complain about the discussion being off topic and on the very topic that just 4 days ago you were happily participating in.

These review posts become an open discussion about a lot of different aspects of the car and how it fits into the automotive landscape. As someone who also posts them from time to time, mine ebb and flow the same way. They're hard to keep "on topic" because they were never posted as a discussion topic or question, they are subjective reviews posted by a specific member. I personally like the fact that these sorts of threads are allowed to take their own course within reason on CL, and I would suggest that if the discussion gets to a place where you're no longer enjoying it...you unsubscribe.

What is "on topic" people posting "thanks for the review"? Boring IMHO.
Old 02-17-18, 01:57 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The last post in this thread before this post was from 2/13...and interestingly enough on that same day you also posted in it discussing where the XT5 was built...yet now 4 days later you complain about the discussion being off topic and on the very topic that just 4 days ago you were happily participating in.
What you don't seem to understand is this thread is about the Cadillac XT5. not every vehicle in the world. I revived this thread hoping for new comments on it since I just leased one. Instead the XT5 topic was thread jacked by posters not discussing the XT5 but every thing else.

I am taking your advice and unsubscribing from this useless drivel.
Old 02-17-18, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Start your own thread. Try a Cadillac forum.

I dont get the pissy attitude, especially when you happily posted off topic in the thread 4 days ago.
Old 02-17-18, 04:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I revived this thread hoping for new comments on it since I just leased one.
Please post a new thread with your ownership review. I'd be very curious to hear your take on the XT5. You've been a big Lexus guy for awhile, most recently the NX and '13 RX. Curious why the switch. I'm a fan of the exterior, very sleek. What made you choose one over the 4th generation RX? You had a Lexus Master lease on the previous Lexus's correct?
Old 02-17-18, 05:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

For future posts let’s get back on topic and drop the personal commentary
Old 02-18-18, 11:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What you don't seem to understand is this thread is about the Cadillac XT5. not every vehicle in the world. I revived this thread hoping for new comments on it since I just leased one. Instead the XT5 topic was thread jacked by posters not discussing the XT5 but every thing else.

I am taking your advice and unsubscribing from this useless drivel.
Welcome to internet owners forums.
Old 02-18-18, 11:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

What you don't seem to understand is this thread is about the Cadillac XT5. not every vehicle in the world.
a review thread like this one usually brings discussion of related and similar vehicles. it's quite likely most on CL have no experience of the XT5 so your input would be very valuable if you can share or start another thread about it as suggested.