Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoblog: 2017 Buick LaCrosse First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 09:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Autoblog: 2017 Buick LaCrosse First Drive

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/05/2...-drive-review/

Autoblog: 2017 Buick LaCrosse First Drive

The 2017 Buick LaCrosse seems destined to never get the credit it deserves. It's bound to be dismissed as just another full-size sedan relic, ignored by those who habitually visit their Lexus dealer every few years for a new ES. This new LaCrosse will inevitably be overshadowed in the Buick showroom by SUVs and never fully appreciated by the majority of its buyers who simply want a big, comfy, and quiet car.

That destiny would be a shame. The completely redesigned LaCrosse is now a legitimate luxury car, not because advertisements say it is, but for the way it drives, the way it looks, and the way it cossets you inside. The former is really the most impressive, since it's also the most surprising.

During the LaCrosse press launch in Portland, Oregon, Buick boasted how comfortable and exceedingly quiet the car is, and indeed, it isolates road imperfections and allows for a pair of low talkers to converse in subdued tones. The big Buick sedan's low-effort steering will also satisfy the nice-and-easy tastes of most drivers. The best way to describe driving the LaCrosse is "unwaveringly pleasant."

Yet, during that pleasant drive, road dips and mid-corner undulations don't make the comfort-tuned suspension bob and bound like its competitors might. Its body control and generally planted nature encourage speeds and confidence to creep ever so higher through successive sweeping corners on Oregon's densely forested Mist-Clatskanie Highway. Even that low-effort steering demonstrates precision, linearity, and just enough feedback to further spur on such a pace.

This unexpected capability is best observed on cars equipped with the optional 20-inch wheels, which supplant the standard 18s and, more importantly, bring with them Continuous Damping Control (CDC) and GM's HiPer Strut front suspension, which is designed to quell torque steer and further improve cornering grip. You don't even have to engage CDC's firmer Sport mode to appreciate the LaCrosse's surprisingly sharp road manners.

"We unleashed the engineers," chief engineer Jeffrey Yanssens said after our test drive. "I told them, 'I don't care how much it costs. I want you to know your system and I want your system to be the best it can be. What do you have to do to make that happen and what can I do to enable you to make that happen?'"

Yanssens is honest and clearly proud of his team's work. There's no PR-OK'd script, and he almost embodies the car's Rodney Dangerfield-like struggle for respect as the thin press presentations focused more on styling and marketing. He clearly wants it known that this wasn't business as usual.

There was plenty of effort made to improve performance and efficiency as well. GM's next-generation, direct-injected 3.6-liter V6 is the only engine offered, boasting 310 horsepower and 282 pound-feet of torque. With about 300 pounds less than the last generation car, the 2017 LaCrosse should now have a considerable acceleration advantage over the Lexus ES 350, which has a roughly equal curb weight yet 42 fewer horsepower. The base Lincoln MKZ weighs about 120 pounds more and is down 76 horses (although the 2017 MKZ gets an optional 400-hp V6 that the LaCrosse won't attempt to match).

An eight-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive are standard, while the top trim level, Premium, can be bolstered with an all-wheel-drive system capable of shunting rear power from left to right through a twin-clutch torque vectoring differential. Even with front-wheel drive, though, that ample power doesn't result in torque steer, with or without HiPer Strut.

Refreshingly, the throttle isn't overtly tuned to bolster fuel economy. Engineers instead turned to a standard lineup of usual but well-executed fuel-saving suspects. Active aero shutters are hidden behind the grille, while a cylinder deactivation system is so imperceptible there's not even a gauge light indicating you're running in V4 mode. The automatic stop/start system isn't quite as unobtrusive, but it's still one of the best systems we've experienced.

"We said to ourselves, 'We're going to be so good at [auto stop/start] that we're not going to include an off button,'" Yanssens said. So they didn't. The fact we hadn't bothered looking for one would serve as proof that his team succeeded in part, but there are nevertheless bound to be times, especially in gridlock traffic, when an off button would be appreciated

As it stands, Buick says EPA-estimated fuel economy will be 21 mpg city/31 mpg highway with front-wheel drive. That happens to be what the ES 350 got in 2016, although changes to EPA measurement methods for 2017 may alter its figures downward once announced. The all-wheel-drive LaCrosse is rated at 20/29 mpg.

Even the most basic LaCrosse, at $32,990, offers generous standard content. That includes a high-quality cabin with simulated leather tastefully stitched together to cover ample padding on the doors, dash, and center console. The wood trim is convincing and tastefully applied, though there was just enough sunlight poking through on an overcast Oregon day to reveal typical GM sun-reflecting metallic trim.

The standard 8.0-inch IntelliLink touchscreen also falls victim to glare at times and may be difficult to reach for some drivers. Its high placement makes it easy to see, however, and this latest GM system (much like the identical Chevy MyLink system) deserves praise for its quick responses and large, easily pressed icons. In the LaCrosse, it also comes standard with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support, as well as 4G LTE onboard WiFi.

Moving down the gradually cascading center stack, the LaCrosse introduces a new electronic shifter that frees up the high center console for conveniently placed cupholders, a dedicated smartphone slot, and an under-console storage area of questionable utility. The shifter itself (used on the Cadillac XT5 crossover and to be shared with the Chevy Bolt and no doubt other vehicles) features a unique shift pattern that requires the driver to move it up toward Neutral then left to reach Reverse. This was done to ensure a deliberate decision to shift into Reverse, which is probably prudent, but some are bound to dislike the unusual shift pattern.

Inside, each upper trim level adds additional luxury niceties, like a power-adjustable wheel to the Preferred ($36,990), leather seating to the Essence ($39,590), and ventilated massaging seats to the Premium ($41,990 FWD, $44,190 AWD). Advanced safety features like forward collision auto-brake and blind-spot warning are available on the Essence and Premium.

Some may find this big sedan to be a little short on interior space. There is certainly an abundance of legroom with 2.7 extra inches of wheelbase in the new model, but with a roofline that's 1.6 inches lower than before, seated comfort is a bit compromised. Taller drivers are likely to find a legs-and-arms-out position, while those in back may find the low-mounted seat has insufficient thigh support and only just enough headroom. It should be noted that the Lexus ES back seat isn't that much better, though a Toyota Avalon's is.

Trunk space is clearly improved from the last LaCrosse, and not just in terms of overall cubic feet, which increase from 13.3 to 15. "We did not design the rear of the old car well, specifically the opening," Yanssens admitted.

There were awkward intrusions by the wheel wells, structural components, and gooseneck hinge shrouds in the last-generation LaCrosse. These are no more, and quite notably, the wider trunk can now easily swallow sets of golf clubs. It is a Buick, after all.

And indeed, as a Buick, the LaCrosse is expected to feature "beautiful, timeless design." At least, so says the marketing brief, as the brand's best-selling Encore would indicate otherwise. The last LaCrosse wasn't exactly a 1964 Riviera, either.

The 2017 LaCrosse's design, by contrast, is cohesive, tasteful, and nicely proportioned, with the tiny fender portholes being the rare misstep. They were less tacked on and Pep Boys-ish in the original sketches. A keen eye will also note that Buick has returned the original colors to its emblem and it's hard to argue with the decision.

Perhaps it'll help the 2017 Buick LaCrosse attract the attention it deserves and show that destiny is just for the superstitious and hopefully-named children. The LaCrosse is no longer just another entry in a full-size sedan segment hemorrhaging sales, but rather an honest-to-goodness luxury sedan that backs up Buick's premium intentions better than anything else in its lineup.
Old 08-05-16, 10:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Nice looking car both inside and out. It will do well for the Buick Division.
Old 08-05-16, 12:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks, Jill......I've been waiting for an actual road test. The auto press is full of static-reviews on this car, but not much, if anything actually behind the wheel. I, of course, will review the new Lacrosse myself when samples arrive here and/or my knee is healed (it's coming along very well, and I may (?) start catching up on reviews again next week). With the idiot marketers at GM doing away with the Verano for 2017 (and maybe the Regal as well), I'm going to take a good look at the new LaCrosse as a potential purchase or lease (as well as the Lincoln Continental/MKZ and next-generation Lexus ES). From the article, though, there's three things I don't like about the new Lacrosse already.....the start/stop system for the V6 that can't be turned off (I never liked those systems, despite the fuel economy), the electronic shifter (I disliked them on BMW and Mercedes products, and I doubt I will like the Buick one, either), and the aero-shutters behind the grille.....if they malfunction, they can make the engine overheat.
Old 08-05-16, 12:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks very pleasant and will likely give the ES fits in comparison tests. The article is likely right though, in that the LaCrosse will inevitably be passed up for an ES or a Buick CUV.

I like the simple nature of the interior and the placement of the controls vs the busy ES interior.

Old 08-05-16, 01:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Jill......I've been waiting for an actual road test. The auto press is full of static-reviews on this car, but not much, if anything actually behind the wheel. I, of course, will review the new Lacrosse myself when samples arrive here and/or my knee is healed (it's coming along very well, and I may (?) start catching up on reviews again next week). With the idiot marketers at GM doing away with the Verano for 2017 (and maybe the Regal as well), I'm going to take a good look at the new LaCrosse as a potential purchase or lease (as well as the Lincoln Continental/MKZ and next-generation Lexus ES). From the article, though, there's three things I don't like about the new Lacrosse already.....the start/stop system for the V6 that can't be turned off (I never liked those systems, despite the fuel economy), the electronic shifter (I disliked them on BMW and Mercedes products, and I doubt I will like the Buick one, either), and the aero-shutters behind the grille.....if they malfunction, they can make the engine overheat.
We have an electronic shifter on our BMW and after nearly two years it still isn't intuitive. However, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as you do adjust to them. Our Audi has a conventional notched shifter - Much easier to operate without having to stop and think about it. Also the active shutters wouldn't be a deal breaker. They are on more and more cars these days, and yes they cold stick shut, but it's not something I'd worry about if purchasing a car that had them.
Old 08-05-16, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Real wood trim? This looks to be a big improvement over the previous car but fake wood trim will always keep it out of being a legit luxury car IMHO
Old 08-05-16, 01:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Real wood trim? This looks to be a big improvement over the previous car but fake wood trim will always keep it out of being a legit luxury car IMHO
Yes, I thought the last (2Gen) Lacrosse, though somewhat better-handling than the more-traditional-Buick 1Gen version, was not particularly impressive, especially with the trim inside. The interior trim on this new 3Gen version looks far more plush.
Old 08-05-16, 02:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But is the wood real? This is one lesson Buick has a hard time learning.

If they're trying to have it be accepted as a legitimate luxury offering, it can't have that terrible imitation wood trim.
Old 08-05-16, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But is the wood real? This is one lesson Buick has a hard time learning.

If they're trying to have it be accepted as a legitimate luxury offering, it can't have that terrible imitation wood trim.
Buick, from what I understand, does use real wood on the steering wheel rims, such as on the Encore. But the rest is usually fake.

My own personal feeling is (and, of course, you're free to disagree)....as long as it looks decent and adds a nice warm touch, I don't really care if it grows on trees or not.

Old 08-05-16, 03:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To be fair though, you're not a luxury car buyer. If they want to really hang with the big boys they need to have genuine wood trim at least on the upper trims. You won't find fake wood in a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac (at least not nowadays), etc.
Old 08-05-16, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

To be fair though, you're not a luxury car buyer. If they want to really hang with the big boys they need to have genuine wood trim at least on the upper trims. You won't find fake wood in a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac (at least not nowadays), etc.
I've owned some smaller, more entry-level luxury vehicles, but you're right....not the big-boy stuff of today. And the big American luxury cars I grew up with, though (Cadillac, Electra 225, Olds 98, New Yorker, Imperial, Continental, Marquis, etc...) almost always had fake wood (or no wood trim at all). Real wood was quite rare back then, unless you owned a British product.

I did own a used deuce-and-a quarter (Buick Electra 225) many years ago, when I was in college. Damn, I loved that car. Yeah...it had fake wood on the dash. But my attitude was that it was so plush, comfortable and relaxing to drive that that the dash trim was a minor issue.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-05-16 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 04:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Buick, from what I understand, does use real wood on the steering wheel rims, such as on the Encore. But the rest is usually fake.

My own personal feeling is (and, of course, you're free to disagree)....as long as it looks decent and adds a nice warm touch, I don't really care if it grows on trees or not.

I will have to agree with some of the others, if Buick really wants to be called a luxury brand, they should be offering real wood. Fake wood should not be present. Also, Lexus should not be offering faux leather under any circumstance and neither should BMw or MB etc.

With that said, different people like different things, I personally like the matte wood trim on the Land Cruiser and Highlander.

At the end of the day, I think most buyers will truthfully have no idea of either faux or real wood is present. But in a true luxury car from a real luxury brand, they should not end up finding that the wood is indeed faux. Same for leather.
Old 08-05-16, 04:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The new Buick TheCrosse seems like a decent offering. But I do not feel from initial impressions, it has anything to really stand out or make it excel from the crowd. The side profile is a pretty direct match to the failing Hyundai Azera, The last generation tacky Camry lobster claw taillamps are unfortunately back. And the front styling is one generation behind everything in this class. The dash is also near-luxury Hyundai from a few years back, so nothing interesting there either. None of these are pluses. I would estimate the car will sell decently for the first few years,, then return to rental and fleet sales for executives and politicians. Once again feel a greater opportunity was missed.
Old 08-05-16, 04:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Old 08-05-16, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

With that said, different people like different things, I personally like the matte wood trim on the Land Cruiser and Highlander.

What do you think of the way the Swedes do the light matte Birchwood trim in Volvos? That has long been one of my favorites.

Quick Reply: Autoblog: 2017 Buick LaCrosse First Drive