Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

teen crashes into another car attempting to hit 100 mph on snapchat filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 04:38 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

While I'm not that old, I've personally witnessed a lot of fender benders and the offending driver some teen who was probably distracted with his or her phone. Yeah, I don't know for sure, but I can't help but wonder if they were too busy trying to update their Facebook.

The only distraction I had while growing up was the stereo. I'm so paranoid coming to a stop at a light at the driver behind me. Collision mitigation and active braking on all cars can't come soon enough.
Old 04-29-16, 04:46 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
lol i knew you'd say this... on the traffic light one i literally wasn't driving (who do you think was recording?) and as for the other one i don't see who was driving... could be anyone.

i know i won't change your mind but believe me it's not the same thing. PM me if you want and we can go back and forth but let's keep this on the snapchat story.
I have no horse in this race, don't know any of you. I think it's irrelevant whether you were driving or not, if I take what you just posted at face value, you were an active participant, aiding and abating this dangerous act.. If you were in fact driving, it only makes it that much more irresponsible.

Peace out, no longer commenting on this story.

Old 04-29-16, 05:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I normally oppose lawsuits against companies because of stupid actions taken by individuals using their products or services, but, disclaimer or not, what the hell does SnapChat think people are going to do with this label? Post themselves going 5 mph??
Old 04-29-16, 05:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

lol i knew you'd say this... on the traffic light one i literally wasn't driving (who do you think was recording?) and as for the other one i don't see who was driving... could be anyone.

i know i won't change your mind but believe me it's not the same thing. PM me if you want and we can go back and forth but let's keep this on the snapchat story.
100 mph on a public street is what it is, no matter how you want to slice it and dice it, or justify it in your head. Anything could happen, and at that speed, there is no time to react.
Old 04-29-16, 06:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Many moons ago I got an undergraduate degree in Psychology (kids, don't get an undergraduate degree in Psychology but that's another topic). There's a construct called the "personal fable". It says that younger people especially have a belief that they themselves are so unique and special that consequences that happen to other people could never happen to them even if they engage in the same risky behavior. This construct is the root of risky and irresponsible behaviors, and the fact that it fades with maturity is why that risk taking reduces as a person matures.

When I see stuff like this in practice it's incredible to me. He can post an article where there is a disastrous consequence for someone from doing something almost exactly the same as what he was showing us he had done 3 days ago and totally not understand the similarity or that he was exposing himself and others to the same risk. Then to try and prove to us that it was not the same when clearly, it was very very similar, even down to the element of filming it. Totally fascinating.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-29-16 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-29-16, 07:32 AM
Darkside81
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Many moons ago I got an undergraduate degree in Psychology (kids, don't get an undergraduate degree in Psychology but that's another topic). There's a construct called the "personal fable". It says that younger people especially have a belief that they themselves are so unique and special that consequences that happen to other people could never happen to them even if they engage in the same risky behavior. This construct is the root of risky and irresponsible behaviors, and the fact that it fades with maturity is why that risk taking reduces as a person matures.

When I see stuff like this in practice it's incredible to me. He can post an article where there is a disastrous consequence for someone from doing something almost exactly the same as what he was showing us he had done 3 days ago and totally not understand the similarity or that he was exposing himself and others to the same risk. Then to try and prove to us that it was not the same when clearly, it was very very similar, even down to the element of filming it. Totally fascinating.
Ah, you beat me to it. I was going to bring up the "Personal Fable" psychological scenario. It's amazing the disassociation that younger people have when it comes to their actions, my self included when I was younger, albeit we didn't have as many distractions back then. It's incredibly fascinating.
Old 04-29-16, 08:02 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

ughhhh... you had to start lol (although i guess i did this to myself)

i very much understand how ironically similar this is, i COMPLETELY understand. i could probably write an essay about why i still don't agree with you in my specific circumstance but since none of you were there and you're all older than me i'm not gonna win this one. therefore, i'll concede. sorry i was such a menace.

just let me say this though, if you've ever tried to use the speed filter on snapchat you'd understand that there's a lot more intricate steps involved than just hitting the stop/start button on a camcorder.
Old 04-29-16, 08:44 AM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sad what people will do to try and get money
Old 04-29-16, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darkside81
Ah, you beat me to it. I was going to bring up the "Personal Fable" psychological scenario. It's amazing the disassociation that younger people have when it comes to their actions, my self included when I was younger, albeit we didn't have as many distractions back then. It's incredibly fascinating.
It really is fascinating...

i very much understand how ironically similar this is, i COMPLETELY understand. i could probably write an essay about why i still don't agree with you in my specific circumstance but since none of you were there and you're all older than me i'm not gonna win this one. therefore, i'll concede. sorry i was such a menace.
You understand how similar the scenario is, but you don't feel the risk is similar because your scenario involves you. Its the personal fable and its totally not true. What you were doing is every bit as dangerous. The risk to you and those around you is every bit as high.

Like I said in the PM from you I responded to...if you want to do this sort of stuff, go to a racetrack. They're out there, you can pay to use them. Its a controlled situation, and you risk only yourself and not others. Public roads are there for public use, not for you to use for these silly videos on your YouTube channel. You put other people at risk with this foolishness and that is not okay.

just let me say this though, if you've ever tried to use the speed filter on snapchat you'd understand that there's a lot more intricate steps involved than just hitting the stop/start button on a camcorder.
But you are still operating a vehicle on a public roads at speeds well above posted limits. Stopping in a public roadway. You're holding a camcorder in your hands instead of using those hands and that attention to control the vehicle. Completely irresponsible and illegal.
Old 04-29-16, 09:04 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Like I said in the PM from you I responded to...if you want to do this sort of stuff, go to a racetrack. They're out there, you can pay to use them. Its a controlled situation, and you risk only yourself and not others. Public roads are there for public use, not for you to use for these silly videos on your YouTube channel. You put other people at risk with this foolishness and that is not okay.
have you driven on a racetrack? because i have and there's plenty of people on it all going as fast as they can with the possibility of crashing into someone else and causing a huge wreck. it happens all the time, and everyone on the track is at risk of either taking out someone else or being taken out by someone else. it's not like you're the only one on the track, nor is everyone else a super skilled and experienced race car driver.

whereas in both of those videos you mentioned, there was NOBODY around, nor was it possible for someone else to enter the roadway, as it's barricaded off on both sides for the entire length. i don't think it's different "just because it's me," she was doing it with other people in her car and other people on the road, neither of those are true in my case. i also KNOW that i have much more experience driving quickly than her (including my time spent on the Pocono Tri-oval) and i'm willing to bet that i'm more into cars than her, meaning i know what something like "lift off oversteer" is and how not to make it happen.

but anything i say can be nullified with "it's a public road" so ok yes it was still irresponsible but as i said i already have the footage so i'm not doing it again. now can we pleaseeeeeeeee move on?

Last edited by Stroock639; 04-29-16 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-29-16, 09:20 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

This is why abortions are still legal.
Old 04-29-16, 09:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

have you driven on a racetrack? because i have and there's plenty of people on it all going as fast as they can with the possibility of crashing into someone else and causing a huge wreck. it happens all the time, and everyone on the track is at risk of either taking out someone else or being taken out by someone else. it's not like you're the only one on the track, nor is everyone else a super skilled and experienced race car driver.
Yes I have, and the difference when you're on a track is that everybody who is on that track has made the affirmative decision to be on the track and to take on the risks associated with that.

When you behave this way on a public roadway, those around you have not affirmatively agreed to take on the risk of your behavior. When I am driving on the road in a legal manner and you are driving on the road in this manner putting me at risk, thats not okay. Ask the police, ask a judge. Had you been rolled up on by a cop you'd have been arrested and rightfully so.

whereas in both of those videos you mentioned, there was NOBODY around, nor was it possible for someone else to enter the roadway, as it's barricaded off on both sides for the entire length.
Nobody that you knew of. Again, go to a drag strip.

i don't think it's different "just because it's me," she was doing it with other people in her car and other people on the road, neither of those are true in my case. i also KNOW that i have much more experience driving quickly than her (including my time spent on the Pocono Tri-oval) and i'm willing to bet that i'm more into cars than her, meaning i know what something like "lift off oversteer" is and how not to make it happen.
Even still fascinating. You don't think its different "because its you" but you "KNOW" that you are a much better driver than she is. Thats part of the personal fable, the belief that your skills and abilities are superior to the people around you.

Ask any real professional driver whether they would drive this way on a public road...they wouldn't.

You're not going to win this argument, best to drop it and think twice about posting this sort of stuff in the future.