Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 11:56 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3rd row with power folding option is a definite selling point
Old 03-25-16, 03:39 PM
Legolas2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX w/ 3rd Row seating in the works...

Report – Lexus RX to gain three-row version starting late 2017 or early 2018
Old 03-26-16, 06:17 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

bout time. holy cow I lost so many customers back when I was in sales cause they HAD to have a 3rd row crossover and the RX didn't offer one! btw what the hell is going on with the GX? any news on its future at all that has been confirmed? is the RX350L taking its place? hope not!
Old 03-26-16, 08:19 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
So I'm also very curious. My curiosity stems from, even though it's 3 rows, it's still really cramped back there and it's really suited really -only- for kids, not adults for any lengthy periods of time.
Unless you want your hips & knees to be angled in a tight "lazy-N" position?

To me, the only vehicle that's practical enough for adults, or even larger/taller teenagers, would be a vehicle along the lines of a Sienna.

Those are my thoughts/experiences and curiosities.
They don't call them occasional-use seats for nothing. There are times when having a moderately-sized wagon-style vehicle that had seating for more than 5 would have come in handy for us, such as when we are driving a few friends or relatives out for dinner when it is easier to drive one car (or the relatives do not drive, in which case we have no choice). In these situations, the child, in the booster seat, could be shuffled off to the occasional-use 3rd row and the extra passengers would occupy the 2nd row. No luggage is involved, only a shuttle to and from the restaurant, so the extra cargo space of the minivan is not required (and I avoid having to drive a HUGE, WIDE minivan all the time).
Old 03-26-16, 09:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

This won't replace the GX. This makes perfect sense. They need a 3 row crossover, but they need it at the RX's price point, not the GX's price point. Thats why this makes more sense than coming up with some different model that occupies the same price point (such as this "TX" people have talked about). They can now determine what to do with the GX without having to make it the people hauler. With a 3 row RX option I have no issue with them continuing on with the GX being based of the LC Prado.
Old 03-26-16, 12:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This won't replace the GX. This makes perfect sense. They need a 3 row crossover, but they need it at the RX's price point, not the GX's price point. Thats why this makes more sense than coming up with some different model that occupies the same price point (such as this "TX" people have talked about). They can now determine what to do with the GX without having to make it the people hauler. With a 3 row RX option I have no issue with them continuing on with the GX being based of the LC Prado.

Something else might still replace GX... unlike LX, which sells great in middle-east, GX only sells in the USA. Making something more luxurious than RX might actually work for them worldwide instead of GX which is limited to the USA.

I agree with you that they need decently priced 7 seater, which would this be.
Old 03-26-16, 12:53 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Something else might still replace GX... unlike LX, which sells great in middle-east, GX only sells in the USA. Making something more luxurious than RX might actually work for them worldwide instead of GX which is limited to the USA.

I agree with you that they need decently priced 7 seater, which would this be.
The GX is priced at a RX by the current pricing scheme. A RXL can start at the same base price of the GX and besides towing due everything.
Old 03-26-16, 01:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
bout time. holy cow I lost so many customers back when I was in sales cause they HAD to have a 3rd row crossover and the RX didn't offer one! btw what the hell is going on with the GX? any news on its future at all that has been confirmed? is the RX350L taking its place? hope not!
If anything I think the RX L will be the GX's savior vs having a TX model crowd the stable.
Old 03-26-16, 04:36 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

With the RX 3 row, and LX, what would be the point of the GX??
Old 03-26-16, 05:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
With the RX 3 row, and LX, what would be the point of the GX??
GX would solider on filling it's niche as a robust 7-seven seater and more affordable alternative to the LX. What's the point of the X6?
Old 03-27-16, 09:10 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think these would be a great addition to the line up. Really no down side so delighted Lexus will be going for it.
Old 03-27-16, 09:17 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wonder how much of a premium this 'L' will command over the standard RX/RXh?
Not worth the difference between that and a loaded Highlander Limited.
Old 03-27-16, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Not worth the difference between that and a loaded Highlander Limited.
LOL, sure it will be. Look how many Infiniti QX60s they sell compared to Nissan Pathfinders, and that is exactly the same vehicle.
Old 03-27-16, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
LOL, sure it will be. Look how many Infiniti QX60s they sell compared to Nissan Pathfinders, and that is exactly the same vehicle.
Much of that is not because of the QX60 itself, but simply because the Pathfinder has advanced so much in recent years. Not that long ago, the Infiniti QX4 (the QX60's predecessor) came with a nice full-time AWD system, but the Pathfinder (foolishly, IMO) was saddled with a dated, archaic part-time 4WD system with an old-fashioned shift-lever for the transfer-case (and it couldn't even be used on dry pavement). Now, the Pathfinder's drivetrain is every bit as advanced as its Infiniti brother....and sales reflect that.
Old 03-27-16, 10:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Much of that is not because of the QX60 itself, but simply because the Pathfinder has advanced so much in recent years. Not that long ago, the Infiniti QX4 (the QX60's predecessor) came with a nice full-time AWD system, but the Pathfinder (foolishly, IMO) was saddled with a dated, archaic part-time 4WD system with an old-fashioned shift-lever for the transfer-case (and it couldn't even be used on dry pavement). Now, the Pathfinder's drivetrain is every bit as advanced as its Infiniti brother....and sales reflect that.
You've completely misunderstood the point of what I posted.

He said that an RX L would not be worth the premium over a Highlander. I said look at how well the QX60 sells vs the Pathfinder even though they are the same vehicle. I see way more QX60s than I do Pathfinders.

There is a strong market for luxury 3 row crossovers. The RX L will do great.

Quick Reply: Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL