ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/817681-lexus-confirmed-3-row-rx-coming-rx350l-and-rx450hl.html)

pbm317 03-23-16 04:27 PM

Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL

Lexus Confirmed 3-Row RX Coming, RX350L & RX450hL

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...EM04/303239919

SW17LS 03-23-16 04:43 PM

Finally! But why does it take them so long to roll this stuff out. Early 2018?!? Seriously?

Hoovey689 03-23-16 04:52 PM

Wonder how much of a premium this 'L' will command over the standard RX/RXh?

smualum11 03-23-16 04:58 PM

Don't have to tell me twice.

The RX 350L will be my next Lexus at lease end in March 2018 and the first Lexus I fully purchase. As soon as they will let me order to coincide with my lease end. Will likely meet exactly my need. I was worried for a while that I would need to swap to a Highlander or even a GX to meet the third row requirement of my next vehicle.

Considering other, although larger, SUVs out there that also offer the elongated wheelbase (think Escalade ESV & Navigator L) -- I would suspect a 2 to 3K premium?

spwolf 03-23-16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 (Post 9418896)
Wonder how much of a premium this 'L' will command over the standard RX/RXh?

$5k with more base equipment?

Toys4RJill 03-23-16 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by smualum11 (Post 9418903)
Don't have to tell me twice.

The RX 350L will be my next Lexus at lease end in March 2018 and the first Lexus I fully purchase. As soon as they will let me order to coincide with my lease end. Will likely meet exactly my need. I was worried for a while that I would need to swap to a Highlander or even a GX to meet the third row requirement of my next vehicle.

Considering other, although larger, SUVs out there that also offer the elongated wheelbase (think Escalade ESV & Navigator L) -- I would suspect a 2 to 3K premium?

Just curious as to why do you have such a need for a 3 row RX?

rominl 03-24-16 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by SW15LS (Post 9418884)
Finally! But why does it take them so long to roll this stuff out. Early 2018?!? Seriously?

i am just glad that they finally do it. should have come out with the regular

LexusChris 03-24-16 11:04 PM

Looks like I have my replacement for my Toyota when it's lease expires, hopefully the extra inches won't affect it's looks.

RX469 03-25-16 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 9418990)

So I'm also very curious. My curiosity stems from, even though it's 3 rows, it's still really cramped back there and it's really suited really -only- for kids, not adults for any lengthy periods of time.
Unless you want your hips & knees to be angled in a tight "lazy-N" position?

To me, the only vehicle that's practical enough for adults, or even larger/taller teenagers, would be a vehicle along the lines of a Sienna.

Those are my thoughts/experiences and curiosities.

mmarshall 03-25-16 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 9418990)

Well, believe it or not, one reason I sometimes hear is that enough families have enough siblings that just can't get along with one another (despite Mom and Dad riding along up front) that they actually need to keep some of the kids physically separated in different rows for the sake of world peace LOL. I mean...who wants to put up with endless whining, complaining, insults, spit-balls, Kiddie-pranks, and even physical blows in the rear seat on a long trip? Even the built-in entertainment systems can only do so much. Parenting is stressful enough as it is, even with everyone at home.

mmarshall 03-25-16 08:53 AM

Good post, pbm317. :)

That new version of the RX will be welcome for several reasons....among them, of course, competition for Lincoln's new 3-row MKX (although, obviously, even the 2-row RX handily outsells the MKX), and for Cadillac's upcoming new crossover SUVs.

The main question seems to be what kind of third-row seat will it have....since the basic body style of the RX will (apparently) not be changing much, we'll see if space might have to come out of the existing 2-row seating inside....in other words, robbing Peter to pay Paul. Jeff Bracken says that, nonetheless, they managed to get a usable 3rd seat in............we'll see.

pbm317 03-25-16 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 9421134)
Good post, pbm317. :)

That new version of the RX will be welcome for several reasons....among them, of course, competition for Lincoln's new 3-row MKX (although, obviously, even the 2-row RX handily outsells the MKX), and for Cadillac's upcoming new crossover SUVs.

The main question seems to be what kind of third-row seat will it have....since the basic body style of the RX will (apparently) not be changing much, we'll see if space might have to come out of the existing 2-row seating inside....in other words, robbing Peter to pay Paul. Jeff Bracken says that, nonetheless, they managed to get a usable 3rd seat in............we'll see.

What 3-row MKX are you talking about? New MKX is still a 2-row offering.

It's going to be a rear ward facing 3rd row, a la station wagons of the 70s/80s and the Model S, that's the only way the headroom can work with that raked rear end..... (i'm entirely joking).

Back in November 2015 Akio Toyoda was interviewed and said he was putting brakes on the Lexus 3-row project, likely for a redesign of the proposal, so that it would keep a design focus while offering a 3rd row. So they don't want it to lose character just to add a 3rd row.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...lexus-vehicles

GS3Tek 03-25-16 09:17 AM

So will there still be a "TX" then?:uh:

Originally Posted by RX469 (Post 9421075)
So I'm also very curious. My curiosity stems from, even though it's 3 rows, it's still really cramped back there and it's really suited really -only- for kids, not adults for any lengthy periods of time.

To me, the only vehicle that's practical enough for adults, or even larger/taller teenagers, would be a vehicle along the lines of a Sienna.

I agree. I can't imagine the leg room/storage for this 3row RX.

Look at the GX's storage space with the 3rd row seat down.

These cramped 3row med. size suvs are probably just for transporting people around on short trips.

If lexus can pull it off like the QX, this will be great.
Lexus "IS" actually listening to us consumers:thumbup::)

SW17LS 03-25-16 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by RX469 (Post 9421075)

it depends on the vehicle. Some of these three row crossovers actually have legitimate adult room in the third row. The best I've seen is the Infiniti QX60/Nissan Pathfinder, but the third row also has adult room in the Highlander, the new Pilot, the Explorer, the three row Santa Fe isn't bad. So, if its done well, there can be adult room in the third row.

Even so...people buy these vehicles that do have kids, so having a row thats only suitable for kids isn't a big deal...they just have their kids sit there.

I find is really funny that people seem to think nobody wants a 3 row crossover, all you have to do is look at the marketplace and sales of these vehicles and its clear that they do.

mmarshall 03-25-16 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by pbm317 (Post 9421148)
What 3-row MKX are you talking about? New MKX is still a 2-row offering.

Thanks. Good catch...sorry about that (my bad). I had forgotten that, even though I reviewed a new MKX not that long ago.

Originally Posted by pbm317 (Post 9421148)

It's going to be a rear ward facing 3rd row, a la station wagons of the 70s/80s and the Model S, that's the only way the headroom can work with that raked rear end..... (i'm entirely joking).

Those rear-facing 3rd-seat wagons actually go back further than that. I can remember some of them as far back as the 1950s....especially as American full-size wagons rapidly expanded in size during the late 50s.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-co...r-Interior.jpg