Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2017 Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 11:04 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I find it difficult to know when an Audi car model is new (other than the Korean-style grille). I am assuming, from all the hype, that this is a new model of the A4? The changes are well-hidden. Mike -- you should have posted "before and after" photos.
Korean style grille? That's the grille Audi pioneered.
Old 03-22-16, 11:40 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The original, large Audi grille (as seen in the picture of the 2016 model mmarshall posted above) has evolved, with more, heavy chrome surrounds, especially where it joins the headlights. IMO, this evolution looks a lot like Hyundai's current grilles.
Old 03-22-16, 11:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yup. Audi was among the 1st with the bold grill look. Others have followed. It wasn't all that popular initially often referred to as looking like a "horse collar". Good foresight on their part.
Old 03-22-16, 11:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The original, large Audi grille (as seen in the picture of the 2016 model mmarshall posted above) has evolved, with more, heavy chrome surrounds, especially where it joins the headlights. IMO, this evolution looks a lot like Hyundai's current grilles.
The new Audi grilles look good. Nothing ugly about them.
Old 03-22-16, 12:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The Hyundai Genesis got a similar grille for 2014, but it was still Audi who started it- even with the chrome.

Old 03-22-16, 07:38 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
It's sad that it's so hard to tell each model apart without having them side by side next to each other. Nice looking car, but as nice as the interior is, it is the exterior you see first everytime before getting into the car. Wish all the german car makers would differentiate it somehow. If I just spent $100k on a S class or A8, the last thing I want is some kid in an A3 to have the exact same styling as me driving down the road.
So I guess it's also sad that the Mercedes S, E (new one) and C Class sedans all look alike, or the BMW 3 and 5 Series sedans. Only the 7 Series stands apart, but then I don't think anyone would mistake an A8 for an A3 or even an A4.
Old 03-22-16, 08:19 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The A4 will do very well in its segment. Perception often trails facts. CR says its owners think the Audis are coming up in reliability. That's a huge step. But you can often cross reference and fact check what is reliable or not. CR is one benchmark, JD Power is another.

Audi had to something to mitigate the money pit reputation. Grills are a subjective thing. But if you're picking winners or losers, Audi wins and Lexus takes the draw.

There is always a thing about how cars age in styling terms. The Germans usually age gracefully because they take careful steps on styling, but do bold steps on tech/innovation. This new A4 looks good. They could have done something outrageous and that would have had their customers running from the brand.
Old 03-22-16, 08:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
So I guess it's also sad that the Mercedes S, E (new one) and C Class sedans all look alike, or the BMW 3 and 5 Series sedans. Only the 7 Series stands apart, but then I don't think anyone would mistake an A8 for an A3 or even an A4.
Most of the Lexus models look alike. The ES, GX, and LS all look alike. And I can't tell a GX from the new LX these days.
Old 03-23-16, 06:31 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Yes it is sad. Sure you have a point, but my point is, there should be a lot more exterior distinction between the various models as the price point increases. 1 sausage in many sizes approach gets old quick.
Old 03-23-16, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
The A4 will do very well in its segment. Perception often trails facts. CR says its owners think the Audis are coming up in reliability. That's a huge step. But you can often cross reference and fact check what is reliable or not. CR is one benchmark, JD Power is another.
From what I have seen (and also from my own experience) CR's results are more accurate than Power's. CR is more specific on what they consider "problems" and owner dissatisfaction. Power has a bunch of different categories that often overlap and/or contradict each other.

Audi had to something to mitigate the money pit reputation. Grills are a subjective thing. But if you're picking winners or losers, Audi wins and Lexus takes the draw.
True, but you don't make vehicles more reliable by simply tacking on big, Suck-'Em-Up grilles. Reliability originates under the skin, not on it. Audi seems to be making the necessary improvements under the skin, where it belongs.

There is always a thing about how cars age in styling terms. The Germans usually age gracefully because they take careful steps on styling, but do bold steps on tech/innovation. This new A4 looks good. They could have done something outrageous and that would have had their customers running from the brand.
I myself consider the newest Lexus spindle-grilles to be outrageous, but they are still selling.
Old 03-23-16, 07:23 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what I have seen (and also from my own experience) CR's results are more accurate than Power's. CR is more specific on what they consider "problems" and owner dissatisfaction. Power has a bunch of different categories that often overlap and/or contradict each other.
True, but you don't make vehicles more reliable by simply tacking on big, Suck-'Em-Up grilles. Reliability originates under the skin, not on it. Audi seems to be making the necessary improvements under the skin, where it belongs.
I myself consider the newest Lexus spindle-grilles to be outrageous, but they are still selling.
Yeah the Spindle is popular with customers - for now. I remember how the Audi grill was so polarizing at one time, but then Audi had gone back to its Auto Union roots to bring back that grill. Today that grill is accepted as the signature for an Audi; you know it and see it on the road.

Lexus had to start from scratch. Hard to say if it's going to get the same acceptance.

It will be interesting to see how the current year Audi's age. Last year it was pretty amazing to see Audi touting its reliability ratings in its ads. Significant.
Old 03-23-16, 07:34 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Audi designs, being conservative, have aged quite well over the years. This car is 13 years old and IMO it is still quite attractive. I wouldn't mind seeing it in my garage every day.
Attached Thumbnails MM Full-Review: 2017 Audi A4-audi-rs4-1b.jpg  
Old 03-23-16, 08:05 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Prestige trim is actually reasonably priced. It's cheaper than IS 350 F-sport and comes with most tech toys.
Old 03-23-16, 08:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think Audi designs, being conservative, have aged quite well over the years. This car is 13 years old and IMO it is still quite attractive. I wouldn't mind seeing it in my garage every day.
Wow. Never would of thought that this is a 13 year old model.
Old 03-23-16, 10:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 163 Likes on 96 Posts

One of the wildest drives I've ever experienced was in that RS4 through the streets of Hollywood. I don't know how Audi got away with it, but they had invited a select group of people to test out the new Q7 and the RS4 was also available to ride along in. There we went through the hills of Hollywood and Beverly Hills, with a professional race car driver behind the wheel. And he was driving like he was in competition. The car sounded like a Corvette, and stuck to corners like glue. Somehow, we got through the day without any accidents. I guess maybe they contacted the city prior, as no race car driver got any tickets either. Only in Hollywood!

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2017 Audi A4