Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2017 Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 10:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 163 Likes on 96 Posts

Most interesting! Thanks for sharing and breaking it all down. From everything I've put together, I feel this vehicle will serve many people well.
Old 03-21-16, 11:48 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't know what it is about Audi, but i can't seem to like it, no matter how often they update it. Haven't been one i liked since the early 2000s
Old 03-22-16, 06:04 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

MODERATOR EDIT - Scott610, please exit this thread. Inappropriate personal commentary - do not continue this in future threads.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-22-16 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-22-16, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Most interesting! Thanks for sharing and breaking it all down. From everything I've put together, I feel this vehicle will serve many people well.
Agreed. One potential problem, though, might be people avoiding Audi because of the scandal, even though it does not (currently) affect gas engines. None of the current line of A4s in the U.S. market is currently offered with diesels...the reps say there are no immediate plans to. But some potential shoppers may not take that into consideration.
Old 03-22-16, 06:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tea
i don't know what it is about Audi, but i can't seem to like it, no matter how often they update it. Haven't been one i liked since the early 2000s
The interesting thing is that was the time period they finally seemed to be getting their act together on fit/finish...though reliability remained below average until just the last few years.
Old 03-22-16, 06:57 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. One potential problem, though, might be people avoiding Audi because of the scandal, even though it does not (currently) affect gas engines. None of the current line of A4s in the U.S. market is currently offered with diesels...the reps say there are no immediate plans to. But some potential shoppers may not take that into consideration.
Audi just passed their 76th month of monthly sales gains. They're doing just fine.
Old 03-22-16, 06:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

It's sad that it's so hard to tell each model apart without having them side by side next to each other. Nice looking car, but as nice as the interior is, it is the exterior you see first everytime before getting into the car. Wish all the german car makers would differentiate it somehow. If I just spent $100k on a S class or A8, the last thing I want is some kid in an A3 to have the exact same styling as me driving down the road.
Old 03-22-16, 07:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,485 Posts

not sure what to say if you can't tell the difference between an a4 and a6.
Old 03-22-16, 08:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Do you mean where the speedometer is?
I meant the MMI screen bolted on the center of the dash.
Old 03-22-16, 08:41 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I meant the MMI screen bolted on the center of the dash.
It's more interesting in that the smaller A3 screen motors up from the dash, while the A4 gets the mounted unit.
Old 03-22-16, 09:11 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Too many similarities other than the length and width of the vehicles.
Old 03-22-16, 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
It's sad that it's so hard to tell each model apart without having them side by side next to each other. Nice looking car, but as nice as the interior is, it is the exterior you see first everytime before getting into the car. Wish all the german car makers would differentiate it somehow. If I just spent $100k on a S class or A8, the last thing I want is some kid in an A3 to have the exact same styling as me driving down the road.
Audi has always been conservative in how they style their sedans. With the exception of 2-door specialty-products like the TT and RS-8, the sedans have more or less resembled one another.....especially with the recent big awkward Audi grilles and LED lights.
Old 03-22-16, 10:18 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Too many similarities other than the length and width of the vehicles.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Audi has always been conservative in how they style their sedans. With the exception of 2-door specialty-products like the TT and RS-8, the sedans have more or less resembled one another.....especially with the recent big awkward Audi grilles and LED lights.
I find it difficult to know when an Audi car model is new (other than the Korean-style grille). I am assuming, from all the hype, that this is a new model of the A4? The changes are well-hidden. Mike -- you should have posted "before and after" photos.
Old 03-22-16, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I find it difficult to know when an Audi car model is new (other than the Korean-style grille). I am assuming, from all the hype, that this is a new model of the A4? The changes are well-hidden. Mike -- you should have posted "before and after" photos.
OK, I'll post some for you here...........But, as you can see, there's not much difference.

BTW, many 2016 A4s are still in stock, at least at local D.C.-area dealerships...even some leftover 2015s in some cases. Those shopping for a new A4 right now may have an unusually wide choice.

2016:

2017:

Old 03-22-16, 10:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's more interesting in that the smaller A3 screen motors up from the dash, while the A4 gets the mounted unit.
EXACTLY!

much nicer IMO...

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2017 Audi A4